PDA

View Full Version : Real World Mapping

Rippance
9th Apr 2000, 04:47 PM
i also a uED newbie, i started mapping in begin feb. But now i want to make my school i go to. Is a great school with nice architecture.
My questions:

·where can i find really good indoor urban textures??? because the "a3ext", "blade","streetext" and the "Urban2" texture packs at realworld are outdoor textures (most of them)

·How should i start? i wanna make a glitch-less map, no holes and no wrong textures. I have a plan of my school and its very difficult to start. It has to be rocksolid!!!

thnx for the ones wth good replies :-)

------------------
Rippance
"I'm your stairway to heaven"

Andirez
9th Apr 2000, 05:25 PM
Try to make your map as easy as possible. Don't use unnecessary brushes when you can do it with less. Think about it before you fire up Ued and try to use the right dimensions. The first person view often makes you want to build things a bit too large, so every now and then use the "behindview 1" command to see the 3rd person view. This way you can see that ceilings are high enough, dimensions are correct,...
Also don't forget that instead of substracting a large cube and then adding walls and stuff, you can substract the seperate rooms and build up your level like this. In most cases I find it more stable than the adding everything.

As for the textures : There are a lot of good usuable textures in the standard UT package. They seem somewhat underused by most people. Check them all out before you start your search for new textures

------------------
Name : Andirez

CoffeyCan
9th Apr 2000, 06:39 PM
So you want to make your first map perect? Rippance this will proably not happen, Andirex has good suggestions, but please read my tips for real world mapping here: http://www.planetunreal.com/realmaps/tutorials.htm

Start small and slow, learn as you go, my first map was 75% done and I had to trash it becuse I made simple mistakes. Read lots of different tuts, even on the same subject, save save save, and start small, build the entryway to your building to start with you can always save parts of your brushes if you want to reuse them.

We have some good textures here: http://www.planetunreal.com/realmaps/textures.htm you can find some thatll work, also check out DM-SuburbanDelux by Angelheart it has a lot of indoor textures (remember to save your texture pack as soon as you start your map).

The reason that I say all this is that mapping can, for me, become very demoralizing when I screw up, like I did with map #1, I put a huge amount of work into it and it was GONE. If you start off small, youll feel OK when you mess up bad.
Thats all, best of luck and remember that it all takes time
CC

------------------
RealMaps Site Coordinator
Want to be an Infiltrator? Get the goods at:
http://www.planetunreal.com/realmaps/

@kuma
9th Apr 2000, 07:19 PM
I've been meaning to update the textures section on my site for ages with some peeling wallpaper, doors etc... but don't hold yer breath /infopop/emoticons\icon_wink.gif

BTW, CoffeyCan - while I've got your ear, you really need to change the 'Connectivity' score you give at Real Maps. 'Connectivity' has nothing to do with the frame rate & everything to do with the layout - how well the level connects back in on itself (taking into account redundant connectivity from e.g. putting two passages that lead to the same room side by side...)

CoffeyCan
9th Apr 2000, 11:08 PM
Will do, thanks for the HU.
CC

------------------

Waxx
10th Apr 2000, 12:11 AM
Here's a tip i got from Realmaps. Instead of having to fire up UT every time you want to check scaling, go into decorations and place and introdude in the map. Be careful though, because usually when you place him, his feet aren't lined up with the floor properly. Modern Textures 1 has a ****load of indoor textures.

Rippance
10th Apr 2000, 06:35 AM
thnx Waxx for that Modern Texture 1 thingy.
i told you i was a newbie, but for a newbie i read all those tut's and tryed to do everything, so maybe i am not a newbie afterall.
thnx Andirez for that substracting seperate rooms, i was thinking of that...

CoffeyCan, i got a question. You say: save your texturepack as soon as you start.

What do you mean? In my first map i had a prob, i had some textures a friend didnt have so the map wouldnt work for him. Is there a way to save the textures you used in your map as a seperate .uax file???

thnx all

------------------
Rippance

Andirez
10th Apr 2000, 09:37 AM
Yes Rippance, you can easily import and export textures and then save them in a new UTX file.

In the texturebrowser menu :
- import : import your textures, *.pcx files
- export : export textures from an utx files in the pcx format
- save : here you can save your very own *.utx file

Be sure to use a name that isn't used already !

------------------

CoffeyCan
10th Apr 2000, 11:35 AM
Quick texture saving tut (see Mike, Im already helping ppl) in addition to Andirez:

Textures are .utx, .uax is a sound file.

1. Open UEd
2. Open any custom texture pack that you want a texture out of (packs that did not come with UT, if you think it may have come, but are not sure, save it anyway)
3. See a textures you like? Select it (click on it) and hit the 'export' button at the bottom of the box.
3. Save it as a .pcx file
4. Hit the 'import' button. A box will come up, select your .pcx file that you want to use, hit ok. Another dialog box will come up asking if you want to put the file in a seperate texture package-you do. Name the package similar to your level, do NOT name it, mylevel.utx, untitled.utx and do not name it after an existing pack or else youll overwrite the old one and lose all the textures. So after you have a name, import it, and you should have a single textures in your newly named texture pack. Not done yet. Hit the save button, and overwrite the texture package you just made. Do this every time you import a texture or else youll have picture of the texture but UEd wont be able to recognize it.

The reason you do this is simple, if you dont, youll end up having to send every package that you used, so if you used A3.utx and citytex.utx youll have to send the complete packages (why complete, becuase if you edit the package and make it smaller, when my comp asks me to overwrite the bigger of the citytex files, I know that you have deleted the textures and wont want to import your pack, so if you have other texture in there that arent in citytex, I wont be able to play the map. Other ppl that dont have citytex will run into problems as they want to play other maps that also have citytex and you have delted files out of it) Doing this makes for huge downloads, so best just to use custom packs.

If I have misrepresented info here, or if someone knows a better way, please correct me.
Hope it works, and hope I saved you the agony that I had to go through
CC

------------------

Quetzalcoatl
10th Apr 2000, 11:59 AM
Sorry cc and andirez.. but my sugestion is to use just a few texture packages (if posible) Why? it keeps your texture dir nice and clean of double packages.. I mean, I make maps too, and if i see 1 texture in 10 diferend packages... I mean this sucks.. I only want the textures to be in one package only, not 10... Although it's an easy way to provide people with the textures they need. This may sound a bit weird.. But if somebody brings out another texture pack with the same name, you can't play one of the maps you made. For Example:
I make a texture pack of textures wich are from UT or another texture pack, and now another texture pack comes out with new textures... (and the same name) I think it's just better to provide people with the complete texture packages they need for their map. Yes i agree, the map you've made is a bit big to give to somebody when you include all textures, but this way they don't have a package with textures wich they already have.
So to say it shorter:
- Include all texture packages and try to make a map with just a few other packages.
- set links in a readme to the files they need, or set this on your page.
This is how I would do it, although the linking stuff isn't to great, but hey it's just a sugestion

Rippance
10th Apr 2000, 12:04 PM
ok...geez, so this was a useless post. And there isnt a easy way for those textures.

but everyone...thnx

------------------
Rippance

Andirez
10th Apr 2000, 02:49 PM
Quetzalcoatl (What kind of nick is that btw. ?), I myself try to use as many standard UT textures as possible. They are IMO the best you can find (scale them a bit and you can make everything look good with them). As for using other external texture packs and don't reorganise the used textures : it isn't very userfriendly. Ok your /textures directory is a bit more crowded than usual but I really don't like searching for texturepacks. There are also a lot of texture packs with the same name that haven't got the same textures in it.
If you want a screenshot in the mapbrowser of UT, you already have to have a new texturefile so why don't add the otherones you use to it ?

------------------

CoffeyCan
10th Apr 2000, 03:51 PM
I cant agree with that at all. It makes your DL's huge and limits the textures that you can use. UT has some good textures but there are some reall great ones in CityTex.utx and others, but its a huge pack, so why not clip the ones you need and put them in 'levelname'.utx file? You should have to compromise when it comes to the textures you want, after all they are what makes your map.

If you get a map that you dont like, you can just delete the texture pack with it and not have wasted your time download some 2MB texture pack for a 400K level.

Rippance: It wasnt a useless post, and just follow the above tuts that Andirez and I suggested and your there, you can compile all the different textures you want, just be sure that you have them in 'levelname'.utx file BEFORE you apply them, as UEd stores the texture and pack name when you apply it.
CC

------------------

Rippance
10th Apr 2000, 04:31 PM
CoffeyCan: I meant by useless that every answer i got i already knew, i thought, maybe there is a better way for those textures. But i think i am gonna make my own textures

thnx

------------------
Rippance