PDA

View Full Version : Some sheet questions

Andirez
13th Apr 2000, 03:01 PM
When you add a sheet before a brush, so that the 4 points of the sheet are for instance the same as one side of a cube, I have this problem that the sheet doesn't always appear. Don't get me wrong : if a sheet is viewable once, it's still viewable after I've rebuilded the level; but when it doesn't appear, it never starts appearing after a while. It seems to depend in which direction the sheet is added (xy,yz,...). The sheet is added AFTER the brush so that can't cause the problems ( it's order is later then the brush)

The other problem I'm facing is that I want to add a semi-solid sheet (so where you can walk on). The only thing is that when I add it (special brush --> semi solid or just set the solidity to semi-solid) the sheet is also non-solid (both tags are checkmarked when viewing the surfaceproperties). I know it's possible since I've seen it in DM-Conveyor.

Anybody who an help me with this ?

------------------
Andirez
Team Duck

-Lost-
13th Apr 2000, 04:08 PM
you can't walk on sheets, you need to put an invisible collision hull underneath...and don't let them touch either. there's something about sheets resting on other brushes that unreal don't like

Lost

Andirez
13th Apr 2000, 04:53 PM
If you checkout DM-Conveyor, you will see that there are semi-solid sheets without an invisible collision hull beneath where you can perfectly walk on. I copy-pasted one to check it out but can seem to accomplish this on my own.

Thanks for the invisible collusion hull tip, now I know where it's for. But it has to be possible to do it like in DM-Conveyor without just copy-pasting it.

------------------
Andirez
Team Duck

Andirez
13th Apr 2000, 05:09 PM
LOST I WAS WRONG about my previous post. I've checked it out again and have seen that it just is a simple, semi-solid, partially invisible brush (1 grid unit high).

So forget what I was raging about. It's too bad that sheets cause so many problems. I'm still looking for an easy way to add wallpaper (texturing) to a house without having to make every room out of separate brushes.

-Lost-
14th Apr 2000, 02:47 AM
yeah, i used sheets as a grated floor sort of thing and kept falling through...i used non-, semi-, and solid brushes and none held me up...anyway, how did you make the house out of one brush that you can't retexture?

Lost

Andirez
14th Apr 2000, 09:12 AM
What I meant by that :
When you have for instance a hollow cube and divide it into two seperate rooms by a simple brush in the middle, you can't give both rooms different textures since 2 of the 4 walls in both rooms are the same texturesurface. For that, I wanted to add sheets before them and give the sheets the wallpaper texture.

------------------
Andirez
Team Duck

-Lost-
14th Apr 2000, 01:35 PM
ah, mmm hmm...ok now i get it. yeah, i guess putting sheets over the walls is your best bet.

Lost

Andirez
14th Apr 2000, 02:42 PM
Problem is that the sheet doesn't always appear in front of the wall.

hunchback
14th Apr 2000, 02:44 PM
It should if you move it a single unit in front of the wall. I think it's much better to just use separate brushes for the different rooms. As far as I know, the engine likes it more, too. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

bastard_o
14th Apr 2000, 07:51 PM
This is how I build a building...

Sorry for the sad shape and all that, I just wanted to demonstrate that you can make a building so that you can texture every single wall with a different texture, or multiple textures for that matter...

The image below is just a big ADD which can be any shape, with lots of SUBTRACTS inside it.

http://www.planetunreal.com/realworld/building01.gif

http://www.planetunreal.com/realworld/building02.gif

With all the rooms in place you can if you wish surround the whole structure with your active brush and intersect the whole thing.
When you have added that you can subtract any doors, windows etc.

Doing it that way means that you can move the windows and doors around if you get them in the wrong place, but with the building as a complex brush it would be set in stone...

So either leave the building as the first image or make it one brush... Builders choice...

Like this...

http://www.planetunreal.com/realworld/building03.gif

With some lights...

http://www.planetunreal.com/realworld/building03.jpg

Grab the building level if you wish.
http://www.planetunreal.com/realworld/building.zip

Bastard'O

Andirez
14th Apr 2000, 08:29 PM
Bastard'o, that is so simple and deadly effective. I really don't see why I didn't come up with that. I am using as many substracts and deintersects in my map as I can think of, but yet I didn't come up with this. A new world opened up for me... a new way of thinking... I think I call it Bastard'o'ism /infopop/emoticons\icon_wink.gif

Thanks man... you ARE the greatest

bastard_o
14th Apr 2000, 09:38 PM
IMHO sadly I am not... yet /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

On a serious note, I am aware that people make levels differently, like different level types and have strong opinions along those lines.

I like what I do thats what counts for me and is why I do it...

Many people helped me when I started learning UnrealEd... (well one or two), so I am only trying to pass that info on plus that what I have learnt to you guys who support the Infiltration mod.

Bastard'O