PDA

View Full Version : pathnodes help

INF_Neo
23rd Apr 2000, 10:46 AM
1) I've set some pathnodes in my level but I didn't want to add any weapons. The bots don't move from their spawning point. Will that change when I add some weapons? Or am I doing sth. else wrong?

2) How can I define player starts for teams?

CoffeyCan
23rd Apr 2000, 12:24 PM
I think you may have to add the weapons as they are what make the bastards move. This is the reason why my item placement is so poor in my first map, I couldnt get them to go anywhere without putting something down. Does anyone know how to get the bots to go withough leaving a trail of weaps? Id really like to only have 2 caches of weapons. But it seems that when I do that they just stay right by the weaps...please help as Ill be pathing a new level soon

Neo, Heres the thread for the team playerstarts:
http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~unreal/modcentral/html/Forum21/HTML/000145.html

You can thank Bastard'O for that one.
CC

------------------
RealMaps Site Coordinator
Want to be an Infiltrator? Get the goods at:
http://www.planetunreal.com/realmaps/

INF_Neo
23rd Apr 2000, 01:21 PM
Then I'll put some weaps into my map.
Thanks!

[This message has been edited by INF_Neo (edited 04-23-2000).]

Evil_Joe
23rd Apr 2000, 03:44 PM
what happens there cc is the priority set in there AI... I believe it works like this they will first engage any enemies in their awarness, then go to any weapons or health, then if the other two are not present they will follow the paths... but I do believe the path has to be in their LOS... soo if they walk off toward some weapon they might loose site of the path etc. Little f%$*ers are just like ants.

bastard_o
23rd Apr 2000, 06:26 PM
To make bots move around a level... AT THE MOMENT

Team/DM is to place inventory items that they desire, these items can be weapons, ammo or health.

Each inventory item has a desirablity which can be tweaked... !!!

Inventory Items MUST NOT be placed to close together, for some reason weapons in a pile confuse the bots, ammo seems ok I have gotten away with having a pile of mp5 ammo though.

The bot AI logic scans ahead to calculate the cost of each path to an object, so a item with a higher desirablity that is closest is the one they choose, etc for other stuff.

Assault levels are very different and the mission objects and defense points overide the need to collect sometime needless inventory...

I guess the same for CTF, DOM and other game types...

IMHO it is rather a challege to get the bots to navigate around your level as you want.. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Trial and error helps /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Warning I believe that the Inf mut when creating substitutes weapons overrides any enhanced inventory desirablity settings...

I have even tweaked a standard UT health pack healing level to 50 only to find that when playing the health has been reset to 20... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

So I am not sure whether setting the desirablity of say a m16 ammo clip to be very very desirable to get the bots to go to it, this setting may be reset to that ammo default... I will have to ask Beppo.

Hope this helps...

Bastard'O

CoffeyCan
23rd Apr 2000, 07:28 PM
Thanks to both of you, now the next question, given the loadout menu of 2.8 how will botpathing be dealt with?
CC

------------------
RealMaps Site Coordinator
Want to be an Infiltrator? Get the goods at:
http://www.planetunreal.com/realmaps/

bastard_o
23rd Apr 2000, 11:52 PM
Hummm, some secret cunning bot_AI and some cunning new special travel to path objective I guess like a patrol_points which have some desirablity.

or a secret cunning piece of inventory replacement mut code which substitutes in these same special patrol_points...

Only guessing CC /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif, All down to Bot_AI which I complex to say the least.

Not sure I can tell you any more... lol would have to kill myself afterwards..

Bastard'O

profit
24th Apr 2000, 04:33 PM
Something I've been thinking about for some time now...

Building an application to run in the UT environment that will open a map and allow the user to set paths for the bots, especially on AS/CTF map. I'm guessing that this will be very difficult, if at all feasable.

My question is... would mappers have a problem with this? I was thinking that many might consider it an affront to their ideas and such. I was thinking about having a settings variable, similar to a saved loadout etc, the paths that were built into the map would remain saved as 'original' and the user could create new settings, hopefully exportable.

Naturally this would pose a problem for online games so the settings would be totally server based and would need to be downloaded each time (small file hopefully).

Evil_Joe
24th Apr 2000, 05:55 PM
ugh yeah, this would probably cause alot of problems. Most mappers who are competent put in the best paths for their maps. I mean they designed the thing from the ground up so they have a fairly good idea of the intricacies. Also being a mapper they have learned about making bot paths that work. Nobody can stop you from making such an application but your IMO really opening pandora's box with that one.