A question about textures

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JonnyBoy

alive
Jun 6, 2000
Visit site
how can i make fonts and put them into my map?? I think i really need them to put the finishing touches into the map im making.

bastard_o

Lead Designer
There are font texture files already within the std packs.

There are some already, but if you want to add your own, then depends on what size and shapeness you want, you could put a whole character set within one 256x256 texture file is you wanted to...

Depends what you want to do...

Bastard'O

JonnyBoy

alive
Jun 6, 2000
Visit site
heres an example

lets say i wanted to make a sign that says Infiltration(im not going to its just an example) and i want it to be 200x400. how might i go about it? what program would i even use?

Eliwar

-
Aug 14, 1999
_-_

well you would have to keep it within the 256x256 square. it doesn't mean you have to use all of it though. And secondly, everyone (or most everyone) use Photoshop if they are actual graphics artists. But a good, very good, demo version of a program is Paint Shop Pro. You get 30 days free, but if you are a bad person, just erase it from your registry and reinstall. And if you ever get the urge to buy it, I see it for around $99 US.

------------------------
darkliege.jpg

http://www.unreality.dk/enemylines <The Infiltration custum skin shop (and a bit more)>
------------------------

Spooge

Digital Content Creator
Jul 9, 2000
TN -USA
www.planetunreal.com
hmmm...

But... why would he want to make it 256x256, for a text string saying "Infiltration" wouldnt it be better to make it say... 256x32 or something like that? Also it looks cool to use true black as the background and turn on Mask, that way only the charactors show. yeah, yeah, I know your saying duuuu. :)

It would cut down on image / file size and be easier to work with at 256x32 also.

Things nessary:
Powers of 2 & indexed - yes
Square - no

I have a lot that are 512x32 to save space and to keep the texure packs smaller. And mine get pretty big so every little bit helps.

Don't mean to step on any toes, just trying to help a fellow mapper. :)

p.s. I'm a freelance mapper now, I belong to no one

"Asphalt" is not properly used to describe rectal dysfunction.

JonnyBoy

alive
Jun 6, 2000
Visit site
hmmmm

ok, the closest thing i have to a program like that is adobe photo shop. would that work? if not can you give me a link to where i can get paint shop for "the free 30 day trial?"

well if you already have photoshop there is no need to get paint shop pro...

Lost

The Farmer hates the gang.
Poor people over there got it so rough.
Truck driver drives like the devil.
Police man thinks he's so tough.
We need water!
Cool, cool water
We need water...

Or maybe somebody's daughter!

Eliwar

-
Aug 14, 1999
_-_

I like that, "well, will photoshop work?" People have good software and don't even know it. *sigh*

And thats strange, Spooge. I haven't been able to create textures that aren't a 256x256 square. I always get some error, so I just scale it to fit in the square. Very interesting, I shall be trying to see whats going wrong.

------------------------
darkliege.jpg

http://www.unreality.dk/enemylines <The Infiltration custum skin shop (and a bit more)>
------------------------

Spooge

Digital Content Creator
Jul 9, 2000
TN -USA
www.planetunreal.com
Hmmm

Hey Dark,

by any chance are you running UnrealEd 2.0?? I am not, but a friend of mine was telling me his texture import blues because he was using UE2.

If you have some textures that you want odd sized 64x16, 256x32 etc, I can import them and save you out the utx file, if you want. Mine works fine and thank god, I have all kinds of non-regular textures.

You know another odd thing, someone was telling me that UT has a texture size limit of 1024x1024, I found that to be false when I used a 4096x4096 image. It not only used it and displayed it right, I had almost NO performance hit!

Anyway, let me know if you want a compiled utx file of any textures. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

bastard_o

Lead Designer
Very interesting...

Hey Spooge, 4096 x 4096, I was stupidly under the impressaion that the render engine dithered down any images above 256 to 256 so a 1024x512 image would get dithered down to be 256x128, and with special hardware would allow 512x512 images to be left un-dithered...

Anyway if what you say is true then great... I just haven't bothered to try it myself, I would love to use massive images, as you may know I make large outdoor levels, they would look much better with large textures aligned on my brushes...

Compiled utx files... I would like some of those please what stuff have you got ?

Bastard'O

Eliwar

-
Aug 14, 1999
_-_

well, actually I was trying to import at tex at a wierd pixel hight of something like 38 or close to that. I can do it just fine when it is at 32 of 64.

------------------------
darkliege.jpg

------------------------

Spooge

Digital Content Creator
Jul 9, 2000
TN -USA
www.planetunreal.com
Well...

Hey Bastard'O,

I have been meaning to contact you via icq (if you even use it) to talk mapping, Love your work!

You might be right about the dithering, but I even went as far as to use an 8192x8192 texture on a huge outdoor terrain and it looked @#$!#$ incredible! It fought with me a little to take it, but I finally won. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I don't have any of those utx files on my system, believe it or not they belong to the government. A division was looking at the Unreal engine as a real-time application and contracted me to do the research. The main turn off was that it has a 1 square mile limitation, they needed 40+. EEeeeek!!!

But I did get to drop some BIG images into Unreal and was blown away at what it COULD do!

All the testing I did was single player type testing, no LAN or Internet play. I could whip up some rendered images from MAX that could run 4096x4096, we could play test it over the net to see how it does... interested?

bastard_o

Lead Designer
Count me in on any texture size, look and feel research.

Yep, I would love to use bigger textures not to sure about 8192 x 8192, but hey if it works looks good and has NO major sloowwww up, then great...

I still use 256x256 blended where necessary textures on my terrains, normally scale 4 so it doesn't look silly.

As usual this takes me forever to aligh all the textures on each and every polygon....

Took me a while to texture and align this beasty, as luck would have it this level is small compared to my normal size of level...

The bottom 12 images...

http://www.planetunreal.com/realworld/wip_images.html

Bastard'O

hunchback

Mar 25, 2000
Oakdale, CA, USA
www2.ucsc.edu
My understanding of the situation is that Voodoo, Voodoo2, and Voodoo3 cards cannot display textures with dimensions larger than 256x256, and the Unreal engine will scale textures larger than that down to that resolution if you have one of those cards. In my opinion, a better solution is to build all of the ground-based terrain in your level, and then de-intersect and resubtract it using brushes with 256x256 bases. That way, you can break your larger texture up into 256x256 chunks and apply them to the appropriate parts of the terrain, without creating any problems for people with older 3dfx cards. I'm using this technique in the level that I've been working on for quite a while, and it looks pretty good so far. Hopefully I'll finish it eventually. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I've sometimes had problems importing textures with dimensions like 4x32 and such. It worked without any problems when I resaved the image in PCX format instead of BMP, so that may be something to try.

Akuma

Deacon Massif
Mar 4, 2000
Visit site
Under D3D or Glide the UT engine will re-render those big-ass textures @ 256x256.

If DX8 has a more efficient form of S3TC then you may be able to use those large textures (I'm assuming they'll suffer from some artifacts when compressed, but Jpgs were good enough for Q3A /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif )

Akuma

Deacon Massif
Mar 4, 2000
Visit site
BTW, an uncompressed 8192 x 8192 texture saved in .UTX format would require almost 64 meg of video memory.

That's taking the 'it runs fine on my system' line a little far /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

bastard_o

Lead Designer
Confused...

Spooge, it looks like all the people looking into this have come up with a big zero, ie 256x256 is what most 3D cards can deal with so I have no idea what card you have... !

So IMHO there is no point in importing any images larger than 256x256 unless you have special hardware!

So I will continue doing things as I have been...

Images that you wish to use that are large say 1024x1024 cut the image up into 16 chunks, import as T01... T16 place them and align them as usual...

Bastard'O

Spooge

Digital Content Creator
Jul 9, 2000
TN -USA
www.planetunreal.com
Well...

I don't use Voodoo for one, we only use Ultra TNT II and GForce. True, 1024x1024 cut into 4 is fine for terrain, a damn good idea and UT will love you for it. I agree with you there, but if I took everything over 256x256 and cut it up, then I have to cut all my geometry in order to place it as well, creating more polys, so you can't win for loosing. Keep in mind I'm not talking just terrain here, terrain is a given, I'm talking about general areas in the map. Also if you look at how most of the level designers use the engine, you will notice that it's common to make the image twice the size of the area and scale it down by half IF you want detail. This is also common for Half-Life/Worldcraft as well.
I would keep doing it the way you are now, I was only pointing out that Unreal will take a larger image and with a good card display it fine. It might dither the image going over 1024x1024 but it can still look damn good. No, I would not use a single 4096x4096 when it was possible to chop up the area and use smaller. What I was doing was simply testing the limits of the Unreal engine and pointed out a false statement. No harm done, none meant anyway. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif