Texture Culling mystery...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

bastard_o

Lead Designer
Andirez has returned... so I was able to ask him what I was doing wrong with the "texture cull" command line command or in the log viewing window this can be typed.

Andirez's comments...

ok. here's the deal with the textures

If you want to remove a specific texture in Ued, go to the texturebrowser highlight the texture and press "q" to remove it entirely from your level, rebuild and save, and you restart Ued, you'll see that it won't load the texture you selected anymore.

If you want to remove ALL non-visible references to all textures which are hidden, type "texture cull" in the log or command line (best to type it in the log, because you can see what ued is doing this way)

Save level, and as above if you wish to check that it they are gone, I guess a rebuild or quit editor and reload the level should do...

Hope it works for you guys...

It is a real bummer if a texture that belongs to a massive texture pack gets onto a surface which you can't see...

The above will get rid of it for you...

Bastard'O

jackson6

Oct 25, 2000
thanks bastard 'o, i appreciate it greatly. i'm glad i asked all those questions making me feel like a retard... now i know how to fix those hidden textures.

i'd like to thank Andirez as well. you guys both røck! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

jacksøn6

bastard_o

Lead Designer
No problem'o dudes... I was only the messager...

One of my BIG wishes is that all this important imformation that everybody has put on these forums could be easyier to get at, ie search for etc.

But like most things you need to know what to type in to get a result...

I would never have guessed to search for "texture cull", who goes around clubing a texture to death.

All I need now is Teromen to explain all about his NEW shadow creation technique...

Seems you have are attention again Teromen, I am not willing to commit myself on this, shall I go with Spooge or Teramen, hummm I will sit on the fence and see what happenes...

I must admit I don't often understand any of the long words that Teromen uses... ha ha...

Bastard'O

[This message was edited by Bastard'O on Nov 01, 2000 at 20:17.]

jackson6

Oct 25, 2000
uh... hey bastard, you may want to watch where exactly you sit on that fence... that could hurt ya know.

/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

jacksøn6

jackson6

Oct 25, 2000
No problem at all Andirez. Call me jacks /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

jacksøn6

Spooge

Digital Content Creator
Jul 9, 2000
TN -USA
www.planetunreal.com
AGREED!!

Yes, Thanks Andirez!

I also found that REAL handy just now. Been trying to find an easier way to dump a couple textures that have been driving me nuts (short trip).

And don't get me wrong guys, I hope TerOmen has usable information regarding realistic shadows. We could all use that kind of information. But as I said, I smell a rendering. Lets hope I'm wrong.

/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

SP2.gif

Come on in, sit down, let me take your head off!

Akuma

Deacon Massif
Mar 4, 2000
Visit site
Theres an alternative to Texture Cull - highlight the 'offending' texture in the texture browser & press 'Q'

it's removed from everywhere in the level.

Alpha_9

Infiltration lead level designer
Jun 1, 2000
Washington State
Much appreciated!

I'm going to go try that right now, hopefully solve my own stowaway texture problem I've been dealing with.

Makes me wonder how many other wonderful secrets we have yet to learn that will make our mapping efforts immeasurably easier...
<h2><font face="symbol">
a 1001</font></h2>

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

John Donne