Reducing poly count...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dupre

Code Pimp
May 8, 2000
www.geocities.com
Hey, guys.. I've been working on a map for INF, but I've ran into the problem that all first time map makers run into... poly count! Obviously, the best thing to do is eliminate the number of polys one can see (the stat fps put it generally below 70), but in some places, it goes up to 300. There are a few spots that I know the player can only see at most 35-40 polys but the stats still say around 100. The map is mostly a few huge subtractives (maybe 7 or 8)with many, many additives (about 320). I guess it qualifies as an outdoor map, but with a huge structure in the middle that *should* block the view of anything on the other side. In a few rare spots, the count hits above 300, and the whole map has only 335 polys. Can anybody shed light on this?

I'm in the process of redoing the map over since my latest save file got corrupted. I plan to scale it larger so I can tuck more details behind corners, but any advice on good fundamentals would help (especially with improving performance). Only about 10 polys will be player-unreachable enough so I can't exploit the semi-solid trick. Another thing is that I can't seem to get poly merge to work on the map. I don't mind having the same texture for most of the polys for the sake of performance.

keek

mapper
Nov 7, 2000
The Netherlands
www.phys.uu.nl
Well...the best way to prevent high polycounts is a plan. When designing a map, draw some sketches on a piece of paper. See if you can limit the amount of map players will see by moving or adding some buildings or whatever.

It's a piece of KeeK!

JonnyBoy

alive
Jun 6, 2000
Visit site
don't scale it!!!!!! DON"T!! if you want bsp errors to come out of your (cough) then i don't recogmend scaling your whole level.

if its not too big and has high poly coutns in areas why not just start it over?

J.B.Signature.jpg

Dupre

Code Pimp
May 8, 2000
www.geocities.com
I drew a rough sketch for the first time around but I guess the ledges and stuff didn't block out as much as I thought when they were finally laid out in the editor. Make things bigger the second time around, I suppose.