PDA

View Full Version : What happens to downloaded maps?

dennyk
14th Sep 2000, 04:32 PM
Question: I was playing INF on a server last night, and downloaded and played on a couple of new maps that I liked. When I tried to start a single-player match today, however, I couldn't find the maps in my list. I checked the map directory, and they weren't there. Where do the maps go when you download them from a server? I thought they ended up in your map directory like with other FPS games, but it doesn't look that way now...

Thanks,
DennyK

dennyk
14th Sep 2000, 06:54 PM
Whoops, nevermind...I did a little exploring and found an INI file in the cache folder that shows that all those UXX files are maps and textures. I've copied them to the appropriate folders and renamed them according to the INI file, so we'll see if they work.

Why does UT do it that way, anyway? Is it just so your hard drive doesn't fill up with various downloads? I can see the logic in that, but then why not save the downloads as maps, textures, etc. instead of "UXX" files? Strange... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

DennyK

MiscMan
15th Sep 2000, 06:33 PM
The maps in cache are all compressed using the same method UT compresses maps when loading(i think). Anyway, they dont go to your map dir for obvious reason(slight modifications to a map, wrong textures, etc.).

----

-MiscMan

Everyone is a hypocrite, except me.

dennyk
16th Sep 2000, 08:28 AM
They do seem to work now that I've renamed and moved them, so that's nice /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I just discovered yesterday that UT won't download an existing map even if the existing one doesn't match the server version...I had a version of DM-Terrain I created by renaming the Assault map, and when I tried to connect to a server running a different version of DM-Terrain, it just booted me. I finally had to move my copy to another folder before it would download the server version... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

DennyK