Will Infiltration turn into a lag war?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The-Doc

Some random guy
Nov 18, 2000
Middle of nowhere, UK
After a bit of a game of CS with a ping of 400+, I have just begun to brainstorm the idea that INF will, perhaps, become like CS, a war of Lag and ping, and not skill and ability. Giving the person with the lowest lag, a distinct advantage over the others.

Also, this may seem a bit stupid, but I do think that with the amount of scopes, and silencers for weapons, this game may turn into a camping/sniping game, which will annoy the hell out of most ppl, and will (more than likely) affect the modification.

I'd like to know what other people think of this prospect, and whether the idea of having a 'general' lag would be accepted.

A general lag is like fake lag. When a player has a ping of LOWER than 100 say, their ping will be increased to 200 - their current lag.

What do you think?

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
I played INF 2.75 fine with a 550+ ping on my winmodem, it was fine. If you stick to the auto's you should be fine.

As 2.85 is slower than 2.75, it should be even better for HPB's.

LordKhaine

dennyk

Aug 23, 2000
Well, I think ping will always be a factor, and a low ping will be an advantage, of course...but I think skill will play a much bigger role. I usually get sub-100 pings on the servers I use with 2.75, and I still get owned by skilled 56K users... ;)

DennyK AKA LordDeimos

Paublosanchez

Aug 12, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
the netcode in CS is made for 56k'ers the netcode in UT/INF is made for people that use cable modems, so if you don't have a high bandwith connection you'll probably lag a bit.

dcowsigINF2.jpg

The-Doc

Some random guy
Nov 18, 2000
Middle of nowhere, UK
You live in america yeah??

Well, I live in england, and at the moment, there aren't many places/people wired up with ADSL or cable, yet.

But no one has answered my question:

DO you think that INF will turn into a lag and ping war??

<hr>
"Who Shouted 'MEDIC!'?"

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
Its very doubtful. Infiltration, unlike CS, has realistic recoil, so automatic weapons like the MP5 can actually be used well. That should make it somewhat easier for someone with a laggy connection to take someone down, since full auto would let you strafe them with fire. If you use stealth and only attack at the right time even a laggy connection should be sufficient to take someone down before they even have a chance to fight back.

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
Im in the Uk, and on my hardware 56K modem I can ping 150 no problem, even on shítty BT Internet.

Just stay away from the M16 and robar and you'll be fine. Learn to love the AKMSU, cos I have a feeling that gun will rock for 56K'ers.

LordKhaine

jaeg

PopeyeTurbo
Oct 18, 2000
Why does everybody always say the UT netcode sucks. I've played them all and it's by far the best. I used 33.6 for a year and could still rank #1 every game.

FreeBSD: The Power to Serve - www.freebsd.org

HappymaN

Dec 13, 2000
Hmmmmm.... What ping would you need to play INF online so that it runs just like your playing bots? Me and my 56k connection are getting worried as I count down the days to the release. :D

Happy Out

"Just Keeping It Happy"

Dank

Mac Guru
Sep 18, 2000
Genesis 1:12
It all comes down to skillz....
I used to play 2.75 online with my 56k and had SOME lag but you learn to play in it after awhile....
icon_biggrin.gif

danks.gif

Dano3000

Apr 28, 2000
Hick part of Arizona
*cough*

well, what about bullet lag, thats basicly what lag is, right?
any way, i can not stand a ping over 170, thats almost 2 seconds of lag time, people say that because of INF's realizm, lag wont be a problem
i guess people dont get it but 4 shots 1 kill wont do crap if lag is at hand
2 shots with a m16
2 seconds of lag
2 second for the other person to reslize whats happening
some on would have to be very good with leed shots and have to have a buttload of cover

I BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM CAPS IN YO ASS LIKE BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM YO

ok, I see more and more users on the net going from 14.4, to 5.6k to now broad band DSL. most of my friends who used to say there pings where crapp, now are either in college, got DSL, or cable. even my friends who make minimal money. IMO the only people I really see with crappy pings are weekend gamers, and those who don't have the means for broad band. if you are hardcore, you will be running broadband

phat-2-s.gif

newbie.jpg

-=<<NRA>>=-

Jul 6, 2000
I talked to some INF peepuls after their testing today and apearantly there is very little lag...even with a 56/k

swirl.gif