ram me!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

summonermw2

May 4, 2001
California
Visit site
O.K. I Plan on geting an up grade as soon as U2 is shipped, but in the mean time, would an extra 64 mb ram help me?(in UT) and if I get more ram now, what are the chances of My haveing to replace that ram when I get the up grade next year(I forgot when U2 is suppost to be shipped!)my system is

celeron 300@300mhz
64mb 168pin 133(ddr?) SDRAM
diamondmm stealth 2 s220 4mb
win98

P.S my up grade will be a new processor,mainboard,video card,and maybe some ram!
:rl:

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
Considering your highly underpowered graphics card and CPU (UT is very cpu dependent), I dont think more RAM would do too much.
Not as much as more ram would help with more overall speed

LonerVamp

Teamplay.Net Head Dictator
May 25, 2001
Iowa
Visit site
Well, it may not help as much in UT, but for a return on the money, doubling that 64 RAM isn't all that bad. You can double that with about 25-35 bucks is all.

If you can still grab a 3dfx VooDoo 3 3000 somewhere cheap (no doubt they'll be cheap), I'd go for that upgrade for your UT speed. After UT, you'll want to get a new card though, since Voodoo isn't the best with other games that will be coming out.

IMO, main board won't do all that much, it's one of those things I rarely look at though. CPU, while 300 is ok (I have 400 and I am just fine), it's also expensive to go up very far. I'd upgrade that Video card first, then go for the CPU if you have the money, otherwise get some ram. :)

Athlon_2o0o

Apr 17, 2001
Originally posted by ppcthug@yahoo.com
O.K. I Plan on geting an up grade as soon as U2 is shipped, but in the mean time, would an extra 64 mb ram help me?(in UT) and if I get more ram now, what are the chances of My haveing to replace that ram when I get the up grade next year(I forgot when U2 is suppost to be shipped!)my system is

celeron 300@300mhz
64mb 168pin 133(ddr?) SDRAM
diamondmm stealth 2 s220 4mb
win98

P.S my up grade will be a new processor,mainboard,video card,and maybe some ram!
:rl:

Well you gotta wait till september 2002 for the launch of Unreal2. So that's a bit long. Anyway, if you want to upgrade to 128 it would be better. 64 is too slow. But RAM is not really the point in your computer, you may get better experiences with upgrading your processor to an Athlon or Pentium III. They are more important for a good framerate in UT.

Deathmaker

Balanced
Mar 29, 2001
Manchester, England.
You're not benefiting from running PC133 memory as it only runs @ the celery's FSB of 66MHz., adding more will prolly reduce swapfile usage but won’t necessarily improve performance. At the moment RAM is dirt-cheap and if you are using/buying PC133 then you’ll be able to use it on any PIII or Athlon board you upgrade to (apart from DDR & Rambus).
Looks like it’s time to bite the bullet so welcome to the world of upgrades. ;)

Athlon_2o0o

Apr 17, 2001
Originally posted by Deathmaker
You're not benefiting from running PC133 memory as it only runs @ the celery's FSB of 66MHz., adding more will prolly reduce swapfile usage but won’t necessarily improve performance. At the moment RAM is dirt-cheap and if you are using/buying PC133 then you’ll be able to use it on any PIII or Athlon board you upgrade to (apart from DDR & Rambus).
Looks like it’s time to bite the bullet so welcome to the world of upgrades. ;)

Athlon processors and RAM prices are very low by now.

Gamma_Sword

Terrible, Terrible Damage!
Feb 12, 2001
Not There
Athlon processors and RAM prices are very low by now.

... and that's yet another reason why Athlon beats the crap out of P3! :D

Oh yeah, Crucial is a great company for low priced quality memory... I got my extra 64MB memory from them for less than 25 bucks (including shipping and handling)! And memory works perfectly!

Athlon Lives!!!!!!