Thunder & Range Finder

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

erehwoN

The Bass Ackwards BTL
May 30, 2001
Wyoming, USA
Visit site
One thing I was thinking would be nice is something like in Saving Private Ryan. When they are in the town, the guy yells the password "Thunder" to see if the sniper in the building is friend or foe. This would be nice for INF. Just have each team have a seperate password to find out if the guy around the corner is a friendly or not. If they don't reply with the correct response, then take the guy out. Another thing I was thinking about could go along with the binoculars. I want a range finder that gives the distance to objects. I don't know if this has already been proposed, but it would be mighty nice for dialing in the grenade launchers. Let me know what all of you guys think of these. I think it would add a lot to the INF expirience.

In the military you only use a passcode when you are defending a certain area to see if unknown people are friendly or not. In INF the situation is often that there isn't an "attacking" and "defending" team, except in maps such as Kazachstan or Chasm.
Plus as I said it is for IDing unknown people. If they are carrying the uniform of an enemy (in a war you do know what kind of uniform your enemy is wearing), he is considered an enemy. So, just as in the movie, the passcode would be told to friendlies (such as reinforcements or troops passing through) so that the other froiendlies know that the unknown person is friendly and not an enemy spy/saboteur or similar.

A range finder is only issued to snipers as far as I know. Plus you don't necessarily need one if you have binoculars, since military binoculars (at least the ones the German Army uses) have tick marks which you can use to estimate the distance of far-away objects. If the side of a house is approximately 30 m wide for example and through your binoculars is 2.5 ticks wide, that means it is x m away (haven't received training on that). Troops are taught to estimate distances based on the apparent width compared to their thumb, finger or hand, or by comparing it with a known distance. For instance a soccer field is always 100 m long or the signposts on German roads are always 50 m apart.

erehwoN

The Bass Ackwards BTL
May 30, 2001
Wyoming, USA
Visit site
Yeah, I know you can tell by the uniform they are wearing, but the situation I am imagining is where you see the gun
barrell poking out the window or hear their footsteps behind a door. You don't really want to just walk up
and look in. It would be nice to be able to shout something, then depinding on their response or lack
thereof, throw a nade at em. As to the range finder, the "thumbing" to find distance is good in RL, but
here it is impractical. I was saying that the team could just integrate binoculars and a range finder into
one unit. Like the expensive ones you always see on James Bond or something.:D