What kind of graphics modes will U2 include?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SadaraK

Groving in UT since 1999
Jan 1, 2001
UK
Just as a matter of interest, has anyone heard of what modes U2 will offer? I know its being designed with the nvidea cards in mind (therefor d3d should be the catored for mode....yay) but what about good old open gl or even glide for the poor old Voodoo owners?

kcwoon

b33fhole
May 29, 2001
Malaysia
Visit site
If you have, read PC Gamer April Issue and you get to read thier World Exclusive about Unreal 2. It say that it will support up to 100X polygons that UT. WOW! But, all I hope is there will be a software rendering mode. Why, you ask? Because my graphic card is CRAPPY!!!!

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I'm not certain, but I don't think I'd hold my breath for Glide. D3D and OGl are certainties.

I'd inest in a card that won't require you to use Software Mode (though I'd be surprised if that stayed too). Even a 99.00 GF2 MX coupled with a reasonably fast processor should be able to run U2 respectably.

*shoves to U2 Forum*

Law

I see...
May 2, 2000
Visit site
The software mode is part of the reason why UT can't matchup with Q3 graphically. The poly counts had to be kept low enough that the software mode would still be functional.

I would be shocked if the new versions of the Unreal Engine included a software mode.

ravenus

The Heretic
Oct 7, 2000
India
Visit site
lol, iolair
But seriously there will be no software mode for U2. In fact the first release even insists on a card that can handle T&L so it must have at least GeForce 1 capabilities (Do I see :( ?)
But there has been a statement from Legend's Verdu in an interview with Gameplex where he talks about giving support to prev-gen cards like TNT2 and Voodoo4/5 IF ITS POSSIBLE.

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
CliffyB stated in several interviews that future versions of the Unreal engine would not have a software rendering option any more.

Also I think they'll drop Glide, S3Metal, .... Maybe there will be 3rd party DLLs written for that.

The only confirmed modes right now are D3D and OGL (with a T&L enabled card).

Mind Maze

May 6, 2001
Visit site
Bye software mode :)

All PCs to date bundle with at least one kind of 3D acelerator, even a super low-end chip with 8MB.

OpenGL stands for "Open Graphics Library"?

Epic is thinking on how to make U2 run in old cards like voodoo 3 and TNT2. I think U2 will run in glide, the last voodoo 5 have drivers supporting DX8... errr... maybe 3dfx owners will have to turn to D3D mode?

Lodev

Sep 3, 2000
Belgium
Does T&L or whatever other NVidia stuff work in OpenGL?

then I really hope they'll work out the OpenGL drivers better than for U1 or UT

OGL seems to be more stable for me, but not as nice as D3D, in UT at least. Q3 is OGL only, isn't it?

WildfireX

Mar 10, 2001
Visit site
First of all: UT had more polygons than Q3A, especially in the charaters. The environments were also much larger, but with approximately the same level of detail. The reason UT looks "worse" is because it actually has higher sys req's that Q3 if you want it to look like it was intended to. Q3A has OpenGL mode, the 3dfx MiniGL mode(3dfx Glide itself is a subsystem of OpenGL, modified to work best with games and the Voodoo chipsets, much like an early DirectX. MiniGL is the actuall OpenGL driver for 3dfx cards, with OpenGL's calls rather than the card-specific Glide calls. It was added when OpenGL appeared as the standard API.) and Q3A supports software mode, you just have to go through hell and back to enable it.
And nVidia's T&L was made for OpenGL-based workstations, it was only added to personal computer cards later if I'm correct.

Lodev

Sep 3, 2000
Belgium
This is in my head a long time already: OpenGL vs Direct3D

OpenGL seems much more stable to me (or is it just me thinking that because I have no mouse lag in Quake3?), so I like OpenGL more than D3D, but the only problem is OGL sux in UT: not as beautiful as d3d.

But all the NVidia features, T&L etc.., are they supported by d3d AND ogl, or only by one of them?

My secret hope is U2 will use a stable, fast (I mean fast on a fast PC), beautiful OpenGL modus, as good as the one of Q3 (the only thing about Q3 I like)

ravenus

The Heretic
Oct 7, 2000
India
Visit site
T&L is mostly supported in all the API's that the GeForce supports.
SOF which is GL only had some basic T&L features happening although nobody noticed much since the engine itself was pretty limited in terms of rendering capacity compared to the newer stuff.

flare

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Visit site
well I guarrentee you that unreal 2 wont support software rendering. I think it will support OpenGL and D3D for sure. Glide not likely that API is dead now. Just put in support for people with GeForce 3 cards and ill be a happy camper, I got a GeForce 3 and I really want a game that supports it soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.