Outdoor lighting

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Naveed

May 7, 2001
Visit site
I didn't get much response with my last post on this so please respond. Any help would be appreciated.

What is the best way to get natural outdoor like lighting and is there anyway to avoid putting a whole bunch of lights in a skybox without it being to dark?

_Zd_3s_

Regristered User
Shhh!! You wanna know a secret, kid? ;)

If you want a nice sunshine in your map, add a light (not coloured for daylight; red coloured for sunsets), set its type to Cylinder (will make parallel rays). Finally set its radius to 120 or even bigger. Also play around with brightness a bit. It looks waaaay better than zonelighting. :)

Naveed

May 7, 2001
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. They're greatly appreciated. Now what about late evening style lighting? Also how can I get the multiple colored clouds in a skybox? You know the whole color scale thingy.

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
Check out this colored light tut.

Use them in combination with Special Lit.
-Set a surface to Special lit under Surface properties
-Add a Light and set it's Properties-Lighting-SpecialLit to True

Speciallit Surfaces will only recieve light from Speciallit Lights.