Server Admins: Bandwidth usage of UT server

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

|H|Alarion

Neighborhood godless fragger
Mar 30, 2000
Yorktown, VA
www.rabid-wolf.com
Ok, I am looking into getting a dedicated server for my websites and since they don't use up much CPU or bandwidth (like 30 hits a day combined lol) I wanted to try running a UT server :D

Anyhow, can you tell me approx how much bandwidth a public server (read: one that is in constant use 5vs5 - 2 spec spots). The server I am looking at come packaged with 25gig/month bandwidth. Is this enough? or do UT servers take up considerably more than that?

thanks!

==Cl@nKi113r==

This space for hire.
Jul 24, 2000
Visit site
Rhere's been several discussions about this on the admin list, and from what I remember a 12-16 player server will consume anywhere from 150-300 GB/month combined in/out if it's populated more or less 24/7.

I'll try to find the posts, but I guess 25 GB/month won't be anywhere close to handle it anyway :/.

==Cl@nKi113r==

This space for hire.
Jul 24, 2000
Visit site
Here's a calculation done by Jason Fielder, admin of the Retribution servers, posted to the admin list a while ago...

I run DUMeter and can monitor real-time the up and down transfer data...

Deck16 Server
Ranked top3 weekly & quarterly of 160,000 servers
Average just over 100games/day
Average 13 players per game

Face Server
Ranked 37 weekly & quarterly of 77,000 servers
Average 40games/day
Average 17 players per game

In a 13.25 hr time span, I up about 8.2835gigs and down 6.1217gigs. Assuming
everything's on averages and doing the math, per month I up 450gigs and down
332.65gigs. I'm on a burstable OC3 connection running through my 8port
10baseT hub. Bandwidth usually isn't a problem, hardware's usually maxed out
before bandwidth. Right now only running a dual XEON 400 1MB cache.
Guess you should be able to work out a pretty accurate usage for your playerload based on that.

WebSlinger

bNotNegative != False
Feb 29, 2000
Oklahoma City, OK
I honestly have no idea how much it uses:eek:. I also don't know what our usable limits on our T1 are, but our ISP hasn't come banging on our door.

I only run The Web on weeks and evenings. The server is down from 8am to 5pm M-F (GMT -6:00). And there's not a lot of play on it when there's not a match scheduled

OK re-reading this I realize this doesn't help a bit.:(

|H|Alarion

Neighborhood godless fragger
Mar 30, 2000
Yorktown, VA
www.rabid-wolf.com
hehe.. well my server comes with CPanel installed. It shows bandwidth used for the month. Now, I don't know if just shows web/ftp traffic, or if it shows ALL traffic.

If it shows all, I will just note the "used amount" before a game.. then host a 20 minute 5on5 and note the used amount after :)

if it doesn't show it, then I can note the time the game was played and call venturesonline and maybe they can tell me :)

iridium

... loves Mr. Lamppost
Dec 11, 2000
UK
i wish there was such thing as running a server for lots of people on a tiny connection. it would rock :D but its not possible, and damn that is a lotta bandwidth. damn......