Shell Casings!!!!!!!!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Coke&Pepsi Suck

Soft Drink Baron
Apr 20, 2001
Little Rock, AR
Visit site
Hi. I would like it if the spent shell casings that are ejected from the gun would stay visible on the ground. Also, I would like it if spent or thrown clips would be visible on the ground. Also, some different ammo types, (HE, incendiary, armor piercing, etc...) would be nice.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
There are shell-casings (fire any gun in Inf and see for yourself, pay attention to the M2HB) ...
they just don't stay around for long because it might have a very high impact on the framerate.

Clips : if you empty a magazine and the player reloads the old one is in the gameworld for a short moment.
It just doesn't stay around forever.

Dead players only leave magazines if you've set the appropiate option. Again they don't stay around forever.

SoSilencer

Harry Goz (1932 - 2003)
Nov 27, 2000
unrealdev.net
I kinda agree. The shell casings and empty mags disappear after like 2 seconds and I've always hated that.

While we need to consider FPS I see no reason why the decay timer couldn't be set to like 30 seconds or even a couple minutes for such items. The amount of ammo players carry plus the fact that it's beneficial to NOT use more ammo than needed to kill a target I don't think we'd see terrible pileups of shell casings. Even in maps like Sicily where you have one corridor of fire the overal ammo count being used is relatively low.

Besides, once they clear the guns on the ground between rounds we'll get a lot of power back, far more than would be used by displaying shells and magazines for a longer period of time.

It isn't just for looks though. Imagine a situation where for some reason you are giving chase to somebody. Perhaps you've ambushed them and wounded them and they are trying to escape. It'd be REALLY nice if you could look at all the shell casings on the ground to estimate how many rounds they have left, or to look at the mag on the ground and know that they just reloaded.

If performance issues are a problem where hard coding decay timers is impossible I think the team should give us control.. We could have 3 settings. One for empty mags on the ground, one for shell casings, and one for decals (bullet holes, blood). Perhaps they could even give us an option to retain these objects between rounds (mainly for decals). It'd be interesting to see what a map looked like after 10 rounds or so.

Yaweh_

Mar 19, 2001
decals and injuries

Would be cool if injured guys left a trail of blood, or at least walked slower/limped (if applicable- most wounds probably wouldn't cause such a trail). Or affected the guys aim or made him shoot with the other hand. No good reason a guy should be able to run around the map at full speed when sneezing would probably kill him off. Make players know it when they get hurt. As it is, injuring a guy is mostly useless, except for points- if he's alive, he's still just as lethal as before, just a little less armored. Might also bring down the number of draw games if injuries slowly accrued damage (a chest shot eventually kills, regardless of whether it was a PSG or a M9, that sort of thing). And anyway, has anyone actually ever LIVED when getting shot by a PSG (in RL, I mean). Doesn't it do a bit more damage than that?

Anyway, it would be useful if blood stayed around awhile, maybe you'd be better able to tell where your teammates are biting the dust and where NOT to go...

As for shell casings/clips/guns, server should reset that stuff at the end of a round. Guns should stay until the end, 'cause they're still usable objects (same with unspent clips/mags), but used clips and spent ammo cartridges should go on a timer set on the client side. That way, everyone could keep them around as long as they wanted (up to the end of the round, anyway, when the server resets everything), or as long as their system could take it.

Yaweh_

Dr.Dase

Feb 26, 2001
Well, even without casings and mags laying around, i have a low framerate, not that i'm against it, i love seeing spent mags discarded, but seeing unspent magazines every time you kill someone has a huge impact. I used to play bot matches with the option that everyone left their ammo when dead, and as soon as i shot anyone, the game more or less froze up, i had like less than one FPS.....But it seems as the Team will cause magazines to stick to the body of the dead person, so you can scavenge his corpse without having to see 10 magazines spread out over the ground.

SoSilencer

Harry Goz (1932 - 2003)
Nov 27, 2000
unrealdev.net
In that thread about the money system I proposed the X-Com loadout system. Such a system would allow for more effects like this since the items would be on the players corpse not the ground.

Mar 19, 2001
San Diego, CA
Have any of you played a mutator called bloodtrails? Its pretty cool cause when you get injured you walk around leaving bloody footprints. I would like to see something like this in INF except more like bloody drops and bloches rather than footprints.