Aha! Semisolids CAN cut up BSP!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BSP weirdness...

• Duh! Everyone's known about this for ages, tarq!

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Shurely shome mishtake. Check that BSP again!

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • This is an emergency! Call ChrisToth and to the Batmobile double quick!

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
Well, I was under the impression that a semisolid brush, like a crate in a room doesn't cut up the BSP -- the crate sits on the floor and the floor poly remains a single poly, if you ghost into the crate you can still see the floor.
However, while editing I managed to get this BSP: the stair brush is a semisolid, rotated by 45 degrees, and it's produced a cut in the floor of the room its in.
There's nothing else in the level that has a poly coplanar with that cut -- hence I can only concluded that the semisolid stairs are responsible. weird huh!
Am I wrong about semisolids or have I made a mistake here, or (shock horror) do we have to re-examne our theories on semisolids? This could be big news for Theoretical Unrealologists!! :D

BitBasher

Quantum Singularity
Mar 24, 2001
The Void
www.user.dccnet.com
When I was fiddling with my office tower staircase, I'm pretty sure that my semi-solid stairs could cut up the BSP on the walls in the stairwell.

I didn't have enuf time to look into it, but I think someone said that this could happen under certain conditions during the geo optimization phase.

When I was building the stairs, I messed around with a LOT of different techniques, and almost every time I had my stairs touch the wall, I got BSP cuts up the yingyang. In the end, I kept the stairs from touching the walls so the walls didn't get cut up.

BB.

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
It mostly happens when you add the semisolid next to the wall. If you add into an empty space, rebuild, align, rebuild...it probably gets fixed. Try doing this to the solidity too. Stairs can do weird things because of the great density of polys. Also try merging polys.

Last edited: