*bot Code Improvement Idea!!!!*

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

OpFor

Feeling suicide, thats O.K.
Apr 26, 2001
Visit site
Here is my idea:

Notice how bots never use their side arm, or how the try to shoot you with the Robar at CQB? An obvious idea to solve this is with a distance sensor, telling the bot what weapon to use at what range, it would work something like this:

10units-20units=knife:Exeption:9mm

200units-600units=M3;Mp5;Sig;.357;9mm;Grenade

600units-1200units=Sig;M16;Akmsu;PSG:Exeption:.357;9mm

1200units-(99)units [ (99) means infinity ]= Robar;PSG:Exeption:M16;Sig:Addon:Acog

Distance too Far=bot armed with correct weapon is called in if enemy is sighted; If true weapons in location no bots will be called in.

I know nothing of coding but it's sort of what it should maybe look like, basicly, if the bot doesn't have any of the right weapons, he calls his buddy over with that their .50 cal, and you can figure the rest out :]

And also, KeeK might be able to do this, but would it be possible to creat a new bot waypoint for movement types? Like you put in a waypoint named "INFrunpoint" or somethin like that, and it ends with another of the same kind? So the bot will run from one point to the other? Or if you want the bot to go prone, you could make a waypoint for this too. See what I'm saying?

Mason

Self appointed voice of reason
Dec 14, 2000
Upstate NY
forums.unreal2.net
I see a slight problem with your logic here, if I come around a corner and end up face to face with the enemy, I am not about to put away my weapon in favor of a knife or pistol simply because they are within '20 units'. I would rather beat them with the butt end of my Robar(if only that was possible), or use my MP5 than use a that piddly knife. I understand that you are referring to bot behavior, but this would make them even more predictable and easier to beat.

keek

mapper
Nov 7, 2000
The Netherlands
www.phys.uu.nl
Hey!
I never did bot coding, and since the INF-bot is not mine, I'm not going to burn my fingers over it :p . But I agree the bots could be a lot more realistic.
My suggestion is that there should be "coverpoints" next to the normal pathnodes. So a bot could be in two states: alert or normal. When a bot is in alert he would try running from coverpoint to coverpoint (and duck there, or whatever). when normal...well he would just walk the path he would walk now.
Also...a real "team feel" to the way bot's behave, like the way a SWAT team clears a building, would be extremely cool.
But to do all these new things I think the INF team would need at least one programmer doing just bot code all the time. Till then I think the INF coders are doing a nice job.