How Body Armor Works

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zhane Striker

Mar 25, 2001
I am making this post in response to the misinformed cries of players who seem to think either that body armor is ineffective and can only protect against pistols, or that it is too powerful because anyone who wears it is nearly invincible. Others have even said that body armor causes the wearer to move like a sloth, and one guy said that it isnt actually used at all in real life. Heres the real story.

The first modern body armor was the steel helmets that came into use in World War 1. Since WW1 was a trench war, most deaths were caused by bullets inn the head. The furt protective vest was used by allied bomber pilots in World War 2. It consisted of a leather jacket, with thin, overlapping steel plates in between the 2 layers of leather. This protected pilots from the fragments thrown around by antiaircraft guns. Steel plates are not generally used by infantry, because they are heavy and encumbering.

Kevlar came into use in the later parts of the Vietnam War. The vests were called Flak Jackets, and provided minimal protection against bullets, but were mainly used to protect against fragmentation. This was important because the Viet Cong liked to use mortars, and the mortar shells would burt up in the trees instead of on the ground, giving them a greater blast radius. The flak jackets worked quite well at protecting GIs from mortar fragments.

Nowadays, kevlar armor is used by police officers to protect from pistols and shotguns. It was worn by allied soldier during the Gulf War. Newer vests are made of kevlar, but with plates inside like the WW2 bomber jackets. However, these plates are made not of steel, but of hardened ceramics, which are somewhat weaker, but a lot lighter, than steel. These plates block the bullets, and are rarely penetrated. Even if a bullet doesnt penetrate however, it can still wound. Its kinetic energy still hits the target, but is spread out over the entire area of the plates. Instead of being penetrated by a 1 square cm bullet, the wearer is rammed by a 2 square foot vest. This causes bruises and often broken ribs.

Lighter kevlar shirts and pants are now available, offering light protection. Officers often wear a titanium strip around the collar to protect from snipers, who generally shoot the leaders first. Steel helmets have added kevlar covering for extra protection, and low and slow flying planes, helicopters, and ships can have kevlar jackets draped accross them to protect from small arms fire.

In modern times, different kinds of ammunition have been invented for different purposes. Flechete amunition fragments on impact to rip apart flesh, but is bad at penetratin armor because it fragments upon hitting the armor, before reaching the flesh. Explosive amunition filled with liquid explosives explode (d'uh0. These also explode on hitting the armor, but this is made up for by the sheer force of the explosion. Hollowpoints, used by the military, expand upon entering a human body, causing agravated wounds. These penetrate like normal bullets. Tracers leave short-lived fiery trails to show a shooter how far off he is, and incendiary tracers use tracer chemicals which can set clothing on fire. Finally, armor piercing and armor piercing discarded sabot rounds have been invented to take out armored targets. They penetrate armor very well, and hurt about as much as a normal round.

As far as weapons go, shotguns are bad at penetrating armor, but rip apart unarmored people. Pistols and SMGs are somewhat better, but their amunition is kind of blunt, except for the Five-Seven and P50, which use armor piercing ammo as standard issue and are great against armor. Rifles are pretty good against armor, and often use tracer ammo, as the M16 is Infiltration does. Sniper rifles and heavy machine guns are great against armor, and often use armor piercing ammo as standard issue. The Robar uses explosive incendiary armor piercing ammo, which is murderous but very expensive. Finaly, fragmenting explosives such as grenades are okay at piercing kevlar (depends on how the fibers are woven) but gets stopped cold by ceramic plates.

Finaly, my position on armor in INF. I'm for it, but think it should be optional, and bought from the loadout. I am thinking there should be 4 pieces of armor, and any combination of the 4 could be worn. A kevlar-covered steel helmet, a light kevlar shirt, light kevlar pants, and a kevlar vest with ceramic plates, with no sleeves. The shirt and vest could be worn together, and their defenses would be cumulative over the chest and back areas. These would have fairly high bluk ratings (especcially the vest, which would also cost quite a bit), so expect to be slowed down by them. I think this would be good because the 2 weapons which people keep saying are overpowered, the shotgun and grenade launcher, have pretty bad armor penetration, so armor would balance them out well. The five-seven and P50, with their AP ammo, would have great armor penetration, as would the Robar. Anyone using another weapon could aim for unarmored body parts to increase damage. Armor should add armor skins to player models so people can see which body parts are armored and know where to shoot. Armor should also slow players down considerably, and make their footsteps louder. The ability to buy different kinds of amunition for your guns (flechete, AP, hollowpoint, etc) would be neat, but might be hard for the team to do, or make the game too complex, so maybe its not such a great idea. Anyway, just wanted to tell people what armor is really like.

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
Nice post. I believe the roadmap described vests and helmets specifically, and the armory describes several of the ammunition types you discussed, including hollowpoint and .50 Raufoss rounds. So, someday in the future, we may see the effect you are after.

Dr.Dase

Feb 26, 2001
Steel helmets generally doesn't stop rifle rounds, and in WWI the greatest casualties were NOT by rifle rounds, but by artillery, every major modern conflict has seen the greatest casualties by artillery, rather than infantry weapons. The steel helmet protects the wearer from shrapnel, since most shrapnel are generally low penetrative, whereas rifle rounds are generally high penetrative.

Note that in the Falklands Conflict the British Army did not use flak vests or body armor. The Argentinians had almost no mortars or artillery so almost all casualties were caused by rifles (so armor wouldn't have helped too much).
Also the troops had to march long distances on foot over difficult terrain, where the added bulk and weight of body armor would have been a great hindrance.
So in retrospective the decision to go without armor was most propably correct.

Col.Sanders

Oct 12, 2000
Most body armor is for stopping loose fragments from giving you a sucking chest wound, or splitting your wig.
Real soldiers use hills, sandbags, and APC's as armor.

Personal armor to defeat rifle rounds exists, but there are two problems:
1) it is heavy and rigid,
2) it is only good for 1 or 2 hits before the ceramic plates crack. Contrast "Kevlar" vests, which *must* take 6 pistol rounds before being NIJ certified.

Number 1 is our biggest problem, because real-life Level 4+ armor is not full coverage. It consists of a Level 3 vest and add-on shoulder, chest, back, and leg plates. The technology is still in the suit-of-armor phase, because rifle-stopping armor is not the soft, flexible Spectra, Twaron, Kevlar, and aramid materials which make pistol-stopping vests.

Maybe by 2050, we'll be wearing Kevlar like we are currently wearing Gore-Tex, but certainly not now.

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
Even pistol stopping armour would have great use in INF, would be a great help against the shotgun and 9mm rounds in CQB.

Good to have a choice :)

HanD_of_DarKNesS

Evil Bastard
May 23, 2000
Ottawa, ON (Canada)
Regarding Body Armor in INF; check:

Infiltration Body Armor Systems

The page was posted by Gryphon (I am told) and has been advertised by him in the Ifiltration IRC channel. It lists descriptions and info on the 3 types of armor planned for INF.

[*]Level II: Second Chance SUPERfeatherlite SC229
[*]Level III: U.S. Army Interceptor Body Armor (IBA)
[*]Level IV: Second Chance Command Jac Assault Zone

Class I/IA aproximate resistance:
  • .22 cal
  • .22 high velocity long rifle
  • .25/6.35mm
  • .32 automatic/7.65mm
  • .38 special

Class II/IIA aproximate resistance:
  • .357 mag FMJ
  • .41 mag
  • .44 mag
  • .45 ACP
  • 9mm ATE FMJ
  • dum dum
  • 12 gage brenneke
  • 12 gauge 00 buckshot
  • gauge slugs

Class IVA aproximate resistance:
  • .38 special THV
  • .357 Armor Piercing
  • .357 Magnum THV
  • .41 Magnum THV
  • .44 Magnum THV
  • .45 ACP THV
  • .45 ACP ATE
  • 9mm THV
  • .30 US (M1) carbine soft point

Class IVB/C aproximate resistance:
  • 5.56mmx45mm
  • 7.62mmx39
  • 7.62x51 NATO
  • US .30 carbine FMJ

Class V aproximate resistance:
  • 5.56mmx45mm
  • 7.62mmx39
  • 7.62mmx51 NATO
  • US .30 Carbine FMJ
  • .30-06

I used "The Compendium of Contemporary Weapons" by Plladium Books

good source for RPGs and its cheaper than a JANE's :D

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
Btw, the 1st body armour wasn't kevlar, the flackjackets used in the vietnam era consisted of blocks of a certain material in a light vest, I just can't remember what it's called. Those same blocks were also fitted to the bottom of huey helicopters to protect from small arms fire from below.

Dr.Dase

Feb 26, 2001
There are lots of composite and plastic materials that can be used to stop of deflect bullets and shrapnel. Early WWI armor used silk, but it was heavy, hot and easily got wet, and then it was HEAVY! :) Also, it attracted bugs that ate the armor, which isn't very good :)

Nylon is apparently a popular material used in armor, i read that the modern british helmet is nylon....

Dr.Dase

Feb 26, 2001
Plus, body armor was used WAY before Vietnam, if that's what you meant. I suppose the earliest projectile deflecting armor was a type of cloth armor used in china, or it might have been even earlier, but that's the earliest dedicated projectile armor i know of. It was constructed by a kind of wooden scaffold worn around the torso, with stripes of cloth hanging down, and it was apparently effective in stopping arrows....

Also, during the 1500th century in Europe, soldiers wore metal armor to protect from bullets, but as weapons got better, this wasn't used long. Bullet deflecting armor was used again during WWI, heavy metal armor was used by sentries etc......kinda like a man shaped trashcan worn over the head, protecting head and torso.....

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
Japanese Samurai whore lacquered layered paper strips bound together with smooth leeather wires so, Possibly one of the earliest forms of composite armour :)

Anyway My point was that the Flak Jackets in viettnam were NOT kevlar.

Aequi

ballistically challenged
Apr 23, 2001
Denmark, duh
Visit site
Saw a program on the telly a few weeks ago, about gene manipulated goats (i think it was goats) that had spider genes inserted, which meant that thier milk could treated in a sertain way - and resulting in a spidersilk.

(assume the reasons for doing all that would be to make the manufactoring of the spidersilk profitable/easier)

Anyhey, one of the potential uses, that this "silk" had, was ofcause bodyarmor......

karsh

Y2KHippy-Karsh or WW2Hippy-Karsh
May 24, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
Ok ok.. I have to reply to this....

the Mongals even had body armour, well it didnt work at stoping the arrow's from pircing there skin, but it allowed then to remove the arrows in battle. What they used was Silk, the arrows would hit the silk and because the silk was so thin that it would still pirce the skin and push the silk into the body, and with arrows with barbed heads (the best way I can think of discribing them) they would usually stay in, but with the silk pushed into the body without being cut, the mongals only had to pull the silk tought and the arrow would just flop out. Ingeinious i think.

ok another History Lesson. I come from Australia and there was a local LEGEND here about 150 years ago called Ned Kelly. He was an Outlaw, he'd steal Cattle or Rob People. Now he and his Gang actually made them selves their own body armour. They Weilded cast Iron steel into a trash can type barole that they could wear and they had on simmilar type healmets (bucket shaped, with a tiny slit for eyesight) he also had plates over his upper arms and upper theighs. This armour actually stoped all bullets from comming through as the Cast iron was so thick. When finnaly cornerd by about 20 english soldiers they had a legendary shoot out for about 15 mins with out even touching him and his gang untill they realised they had to shoot at his legs to hit him. Any other Austrailians shoud know this tale, I know I've probly mucked up some details but its true...

And yes i cant wait untill there is body armour in Inf, the Idea of actual skins to show where the armour is is Brilliant I think, but with me It wouldnt mean anything, as i see some-one moving I shoot and hope to hit before then Kill me... Im sorry for the couple of Team Kills i've done guys... but if you were playing on my system and with my ping, you'd understand...