PDA

View Full Version : Will Unreal 2 even be worth it?

Xnife
16th May 2001, 01:15 PM
If Unreal Warfare is coming out 6 months after U2, who's gonna buy U2? Players of both Unreal and UT know that UT is the game where the real fun and replay value is at, due to its multiplayerness, which basically created an entire online community full of clans and mappers and modders (oh my). Those who can afford but one game will probably just wait for Unreal Warfare.

In my case, I will need to upgrade my PC before it can handle either game. Since no trait is more human than to want the latest technology available, personally I would wait to upgrade at the time UW comes out, when I can get more for cheaper. At that time, I would not have ever played Unreal 2, but that won't even matter because I wouldn've only gotten 6 months of fun and replay out of the game, and then it's popularity will have been killed with the release of Unreal Warfare (I'd like to know who was drooling over Unreal at the time of UT's release - certainly not me.)

My point is this: Epic/Legend/whoever is making a mistake by releasing the products so close to eachother. Sure some will say "Hell, I'm buying both games! They're both gonna rock!" but only some. Some isn't as profitable to a company as all or most. I consider myself to be among the group of average gamers - not super hardcore, but still rather addicted - and I just plain don't see a point in spening money on a game right before its sequel.

TheGrue
16th May 2001, 10:32 PM
Rebuttal...

Unreal Warfare isn't going to be U2's sequel. They're very much two different games, and I'm almost certain their (relative) similarity will allow both communities to feed off of one another's popularity. From what I've heard, approximately a third of the development resources for U2 are being used for a multiplayer aspect (maybe even co-op), so I wouldn't discount replayability just yet.

I think the communities will get along fine and intermingle just because of the single/multiplayer diversity. I know a lot of people that were disappointed with UT because it didn't bother to extend on Unreal's singleplayer features, and when U2 and UW come out relatively close together, modders will have a choice between producing single/co-op or pure multiplay maps, with each game using a similar enough engine to allow a great deal of skill transferability.

Personally, I've seen enough multiplayer for awhile. Deathmatch, CTF, assault, domination, the various CS modes and their like don't really float my boat anymore - I'd like a break, preferably with some good, old-fashioned quality storytelling (far better than Unreal's) and cooperative action, the likes I haven't seen since System Shock 2.

The decision to release both games close to each other will fuel both their respective popularities. I've never seen a SP game get supplanted by a MP one that's almost totally unrelated except for the name, but I guess time will tell, hmm?

EDIT: One other thing. UT came out a good 18 months after Unreal, enough time for Unreal's community to stagnate (especially due to the buggy netcode and editing utilities at the time of release). That's both 3 times as long as what Epic/Legend are currently planning, and it's far less likely that U2 will suffer from the same kind of community-killing bugs.

Deathwing
27th May 2001, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by Xnife
Players of both Unreal and UT know that UT is the game where the real fun and replay value is at

No, I think YOU know that. That doesn't mean everybody does. Some may see Unreal Tournament as an endlessly replayable multiplayer legend. Others may see it as being a game that is all the same after a while, and like Unreal's changing singleplayer experience better.

If Unreal 2 has a good singleplayer campaign, Unreal Warfare definitely won't stop me from buying it.

OshadowO
27th May 2001, 04:59 AM
Naw give epic a little bit more credit. They don't release stuff...especially franchise stuff without putting some thought into it(unless you're the tomb raider folks)
U2 and UW will probably offer something very different to make them worth buying. Hell maybe they'll kinda integrate with one another on one PC so you can access both via one menu and browse multiplayer games for both at the same time.

LumenEdge
27th May 2001, 06:54 PM
I don't see it as a problem at all. I believe that most real gamers(not those who mearly follow the fads) will choose there prefrence. Mine happens to be single player so I never even bothered to get UT. Did I feel left out? Sure but so what. I game for my own enjoyment and if other people happen to like the same thing cool. I would suggest that if someone feels that their "gaming fun factor" will only last as long as the hype...don't buy it. I still get a kick out of playing origional Unreal an am eagerly looking foward to U2. If I ever do get UW it'll be a long time after buying U2.:boom:

Stargazer
28th May 2001, 07:29 AM
I thought Unreal Tournament was a good game, so was QIII arena. But they both missed the mark by skipping the SP aspect of the game. You can say Assault is SP, but let's not kid ourselves. If a game is gonna be great today, it needs SP and Multiplayer support. Period. You can bet Unreal2 will have both. Will Unreal 2 be worth it, you can be thinking about that while the rest of us are playing it and having a blast.

Drevlin
2nd Jun 2001, 12:29 PM
If we look at Q3 and UT they are both very popular game with no sp (bot matches dont count) so saying that games without singleplayer doesn't sell is a lie.

However, I like Unreal 1 more than I like Unreal T because of the depth it has.

If i were to choose between one of the titles (Unreal 2 and Unreal Warfare) I were to choose Unreal 2.
Im glad to say that i wont have to choose though :)

Lets not forget that Unreal 2 will have some cool multiplayer aspects to that Unreal WarFare will never have, namly Coop game. A true unreal fan will have both Unreal 2 and UW, a multiplayer fag will have Unreal Warfare only, and if you are looking for a good time you'll have them both aswell...

Metakill
3rd Jun 2001, 03:06 AM
I played Unreal for years before I bought UT (just a few months ago). I guess some people have gotten bored of the single player fps phenomenon, but I can only play deathmatches for so long before I long for a more immersive story-telling environment. Variety is nice.

Drevlin
3rd Jun 2001, 04:14 AM
MetaKiller, Amen to that

Drevlin
3rd Jun 2001, 04:15 AM
-er

Stargazer
3rd Jun 2001, 04:22 AM
Yeah, SP let's you do more, it's a more intimate experience. You can trigger events and design levels to scare the pants off the player. The only scary things about UT is (I'm running out of ammo, woah!, that dude is shooting at me, and Lagtime.)

I think UT is good, don't get me wrong, but I really with they had given us SP. Assault doesn't even come close. I just got red faction and have been playing it on the PS2. That's an awesome game. It show's you what SP is all about in a FPS. That is, until U2 comes out.

hal
3rd Jun 2001, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Stargazer
I thought Unreal Tournament was a good game, so was QIII arena. But they both missed the mark by skipping the SP aspect of the game. You can say Assault is SP, but let's not kid ourselves. If a game is gonna be great today, it needs SP and Multiplayer support. Period.

Er...like Everquest? Tribes?

Anyhow, the sinleplayer aspect of both UT and Q3 was present and quite fun. Just because it isn't exploring maps and flipping switches doesn't make it dull. Besides, neither game was inteded to be a singleplayer stand-alone game.

It takes an insane amount of time to make sp maps, especially really good ones with a lot of scripting. There's no way that Epic could've invested all of the time that they did into all of the gametypes for online play and include over 50 maps.... and still include singleplayer walkthrough maps. Personally, I'd rather see one type done really well instead of both types with 20 or so average maps.

Besides, it looks like U2 and UW will be a "one-two" punch. Think about it...

first off by the time U2 comes around... people will be dying for a new Unreal anything. Then when U2 hits, people will be going crazy over the awesome single player game and experimenting with the new online stuff. Next comes UW with an unparalelled online experience. Yay!

One thing though... I wouldn't look for these two titles to be released that close together.

Law
3rd Jun 2001, 12:30 PM
One thing though... I wouldn't look for these two titles to be released that close together.

I was going to say the same thing. Hopefully Unreal 2 will be released by the end of this year/beginning of next. Unreal Warfare is far off at this point.

Drevlin
3rd Jun 2001, 04:31 PM
The question was:
Will U2 be worth getting even with UW running up behind it?

The answer is:
Yes, for sp fans. Multiplayer fans will pllay UW.
Ill have them both as i want variation

Now, end of disscussion, get on with your lifes :)

quitgrin1
3rd Jun 2001, 07:55 PM
Iīll also buy both games.. just as I enjoyed Unreal1īs singleplayer portion of the game, I also enjoyed UTīs botmatch play. Those 2 games have brought me lots of good gaming experiences.

GRINGOLOCO

UnrealGrrl
4th Jun 2001, 02:55 PM
of course ill buy it! and the way things look, u2 will have a good multiplayer mode anyway (what i am intrested in!) and that way it oughta keep everyone happy till Uwar comes along... :>

Drevlin
4th Jun 2001, 04:05 PM
Ill stick with UT/Unreal and StarCraft till U2 and UW gets here...

Tribes 2... shesh. Suckie highend engine. Sluggish it is, no wonder its sold 100 dollars

NeoNite
4th Jun 2001, 06:59 PM
I'll stick with unreal and UT even if I have bought a copy of uw and unreal2 and THAT'S a fact.

Why stop playing your favourite games? :(

Drevlin
5th Jun 2001, 01:02 AM
I dont play UT that much anymore and i prolly will move on to U2 when it gets here

And im hopeing its gonna bring in some new cool pepes to the community as the UT community ranks low on my list

U-N-R-E-A-l-2WillRock
5th Jun 2001, 01:35 PM
Cant you guys get it???There is no Unreal Warfare game!!Unreal Warfare is the new Unreal2 Engine!!!!

U-N-R-E-A-l-2WillRock
5th Jun 2001, 01:44 PM
(BEEP)(BEEP)(BEEP)(BEEP)!!!!!(REDEEMER MISSILE CRASHING)(BE-)(bbbbbbbboooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmm)(CHAINGUNS FIRING)(BEEP)(BEEP)(MOON IS DESTROYED)(BEEP)(BEEP)(WAR STARTS)
:redeemer: :minigun: :instagib: :chainsaw: :boom: :rl: :eek2: :ripper:

Look,there is no Unreal Warfare.The new Multiplayer one is called Unreal2:Championship and it for Xbox.The new Multiplayer one takes place about 50 years after Unreal:Tournament.The Tournament was still going on with its bloody deathmatchs and stuff,but later an unknown alien race that looks strangely related to humans offers to buy out the Tournament for it to be played on their 6(you heard me SIX)homeplanets.Then the Tournament is given to this new race and is to be held on 6 different planets.Instead of Humans duking it out,a few of the alien races in the universe that it takes place in are to be fought in the Championship,including the human-like race that bought out the Tournament.The same rules apply as the Tournament.There are no rules.I hope this brief story of Unreal2:Championship clears it all up.Any rumours about Unreal Warfare are untrue,but its the new Unreal Engine.

Drevlin
5th Jun 2001, 03:28 PM
I stopped reading when you said there is no Unreal Warfare.

Unreal C is comming out from Xbox, yes, but its not Epic that is makeing it
Unreal C is Unreal Tournament for the XBox

Unreal Warfare is Unreal tourmament 2 (kinda) comming for the PC

As for the rest you wrote i didnt bother to read as this first thing was so gaddam ignorant :P

U-N-R-E-A-l-2WillRock
5th Jun 2001, 03:55 PM
...............But the engine is called Unreal Warfare................Thats just crazy to make a games name be the same as the name of the engine!!!!!!!

TheGrue
5th Jun 2001, 06:58 PM
Then maybe they're just crazy...

Who CARES :rolleyes:

NeoNite
5th Jun 2001, 07:04 PM
Why does the ut community rank low on your list? I mean, there are bad communities out there, but the ut c. isn't one of them.

Drevlin
6th Jun 2001, 01:43 AM
Lots of people who aint that nice (atleast in the mapping community).

Stargazer
6th Jun 2001, 05:38 AM
Most of the people I know in the community are great. Sure there are a few bad eggs and a few inflated ego's. But you'll find that anywhere. The UT community is great, people helping other people figure out how to make maps, coming up with new Ideas for the Ed, new scripts. This is like one giant resource for people, and most of them are cool. Exept for all the peeps that can't spell or say stupid stuff. And the folks that are just out to piss people off.

Nuff Said.....

DeeperShade
6th Jun 2001, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by U-N-R-E-A-l-2WillRock
...............But the engine is called Unreal Warfare................Thats just crazy to make a games name be the same as the name of the engine!!!!!!!

Why is it? The production name is usually the name that they were going to go with. Unreal Warfare exists...

Most of the people I know in the community are great. Sure there are a few bad eggs and a few inflated ego's. But you'll find that anywhere. The UT community is great, people helping other people figure out how to make maps, coming up with new Ideas for the Ed, new scripts. This is like one giant resource for people, and most of them are cool. Exept for all the peeps that can't spell or say stupid stuff. And the folks that are just out to piss people off.

Nuff Said.....

Im guessing that in your view im one of the 'bad eggs' or the 'peeps who say stupid stuff'. If thats your view, then... what can I say...

This community is my home and I love it dearly. In general, the people here are 24 carot gold...

Rock on PU http://forums.planetunreal.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Drevlin
6th Jun 2001, 02:47 PM
Guess we hang in different hoods

I guess you hang mostly with players and (forgive me) newbie mappers.

My contacts are at IRC channels (where most are really retarded) on this forum (where i admit, you are kinda nice :)

As for feedback for us mappers from gamers it ranks below zero as i never recive anything (except for a few exceptions)

Thats why it ranks low on my list

Stargazer
7th Jun 2001, 07:56 AM
I don't think your a bad egg, I just think we got off on the wrong foot over a missunderstanding. Your probably a pretty cool guy.

Stargazer
7th Jun 2001, 07:57 AM
haha, that's pretty funny, I was cracking on spelling and there I go doing it.

Drevlin
7th Jun 2001, 11:50 AM
... are we in in a grunch? funny cuz i didnt know

why are we mad at eachother?

NeoNite
7th Jun 2001, 02:26 PM
Tip of the day, brought to you by neonite:

:D

You can always edit your posts!

ravenus
11th Jun 2001, 10:35 AM
Warfare is the codename for the current version of the Unreal engine (V600 onwards) since it will be used for Epic's next game Unreal Warfare which is supposed to be the next-gen avatar of UT.

Unreal 2 uses the Warfare engine and is being made by an external developer, Legend Entertainment.

Unreal Championship is an X-Box game using the Warfare Engine being made by some other developer.

Okay man, chill ;)

Arcturus
4th Aug 2001, 10:30 AM
It seems that Unreal Warfare is going to be heavily multiplayer based. But remember something - people still actually *shock* ENJOY single player games. Amazing eh? Look at the success of, say, Half-Life or Deus Ex. Both predominantly single-player games (although Half-Life does have the multiplayer side sorted with Counterstrike). I think Unreal 2 will be well worth it, even if it is released a few months before Unreal Warfare.