Lan Server Problem

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DelUT

May 14, 2001
Visit site
I've got a problem that I am currently running past Infogrames Tech Support, but I thought I would through it open to everyone to see if there is a fix:

My UT Test setup is:

PC1:
Dual PIII-800 Processors
256M Ram
3COM 10/100 NIC (IP 192.168.0.1)
Voodoo 3 2000 AGP Card
Running Windows 2000 Server. Server is a domain controller and is connected to the net through a cable modem, running through a second NIC. I have Internet Connection Sharing in place, and DHCP is active on this machine, therefore it issues IP's to client machines in the 192.168.0.0 IP Scope.

PC2:
PII-350@420
128M Ram
Realtek 8029 NIC
Voodoo 3 2000 AGP Card
Running Windows 2000 Professional. Has a leased IP of 192.168.0.157. This computer does have an active domain account.

The network connection to all other intents and purposes works fine. File & Printer Sharing, Multiplayer gaming (Starcraft - admittedly, over IPX rather than TCP/IP), all OK.

Both machines are running Unreal Tournament GOTY edition with the ChaosUT addon, and are connected with a crosswired CAT5 patch cable (I took the switch out of the loop to make it less complicated:-)).

The Problem:

When I start a multiplayer game from PC2, it can be viewed in the "LAN Servers" tab on both machines, and shows relevant details about the game etc. The game can be played from PC1 and PC2, showing that again, there's nothing wrong with the LAN connection. However, when I start a multiplayer game from PC1, it will show the game details in the "LAN Servers" tab on PC1 only. You can however "open the location" of PC1's IP address from PC2 and join the game that way.

I've tried refreshing the display, but this hasn't worked. I've tried playing about with the firewall on PC1, but PC2 has a trusted IP, and so it isn't blocking traffic. I have tried disabling the firewall but still nothing.

At the end of the day, I can still connect players to PC1 via the IP address, but I would like the server to show in "LAN Servers" just for ease of use.

Any Ideas?

DelUT

May 14, 2001
Visit site
Problem Solved!

Ugh! McFly!

Thanks for your help, but I worked out what the problem was...

I installed my company's software (I work for an ISP) and it created a new Local Area Connection in My Network Places, with a corresponding APIPA IP address, and UT devided to bind itself to the ISP connection, and therefore as far as UT was concerned, it wasn't on the same subnet as my server.

I've used the multihome executable string, and hey presto, everything is hunki dori...

I should know better...