Broadband becoming a major problem?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
I was just over at fileplanet trying to download a new map, and found thier new distrubition method. For those that haven't come across it, when you select your download, your asked if you'd like to get in line, and how many users are ahead of you. Basically after you click the link, you wait about 5 mins, and then it starts. being on a 56.6k modem, i actually got very fast transfers, and even despite the 5 min wait the whole transfer took a shorter period of time than a normally from file planet (transfers for me usually were in the 0.5-2.5k range)

Anyhow, i've noticed that a good amount of download sites, (zdnet, fileplanet, ect) are slow as hell, because they're beeing overloaded. But my concern and question is: Are they being overloaded because the number of users are going up, or is it because broadband users are increasing and leeching more bandwith than servers are acustom to? Or is it both?

While the internet continues to grow i'm a little worried that high octane leeches will grow faster than free download sites like those mentioned will be able to serve without adopted different policies for downloading. I'm begining to think that the days of the "click on the link, get the file" that many of us are so acustom to will not be the case in the future.

I think that policies such as the "get in line" one now being tested at fileplant, or the "required file sharing program" that i've heard discussed (basically if you download a "popular" file, and you go over a "speed limit" your required to share that file X amount of times useing some form of a filesharing. This would generally only apply to people with connections like T-1's, but i suppose it might be applied to cablemodem users or DSL users if the problem continues to grow.

The other choice isn't very pleasing. Pay for the use of the server, which few of us would be inclined to do, or be able to since it would require a CC. Either that or the servers would charge broadband ISP's for thier use, which would inturn drive the cost of broadband sky high.

Personally i really enjoy the new policy being tested by Fileplanet.

Anyone else have comments, or ideas on how to aproach the problem?

Mr. HotDog

[Insert Text Here]
Apr 2, 2001
Visit site
0.5-2.5KB w/56K? I always got 4.5-5.5KB at FilePlanet (thats when I had a 45K connection). As for FilePlanet, its getting harder and harder to download files. Downloading off the mirrors is pretty bad. Almost every time I try to download from a mirror it asks for a user name and password because theres too many people logged on.

Uppity

Apr 17, 2001
NE England (We hang monkeys)
Visit site
Yeah, fileplanet is in a bit of a state.

I don't think broadband is the problem though. At the end of the day, if you download a file - you transfer so many bytes of information. If you use 56k it may take 3 hours at 2k. So you are taking up 2k of bandwidth for a full 3 hours.

How many other 56k-ers are also taking up 2k for a good few hours?

But on cable it may take 7 minutes at 50k. Yup, so you are taking up a lot more bandwidth, but for a MUCH shorter time.

So 25 Cablemodem-ers downloading the same file one after the other will take up the same bandwidth over the same time as 25 56k-ers all downloading the same file together. In both cases the same amount of info is downloaded over the same time using the same bandwidth.

It should balance out.

I think its just the likes of FilePlanet failing to keep up with the general increased use of the internet.

Uppity.

DLL

Chrysolyte
Mar 12, 2001
Good point Uppity. I hadn't thought of that.

I think we're going to see the economics of the 'net change quite a bit. A lot of money was poured into the Internet with a lot of optimism. Companies that did not have web sites suddenly decided they needed them. Web advertising boomed. But we've all seen that optimism wear off.

Companies were discovering that all the money they were pouring into their web divisions were not gaining returns. Web advertising didn't seem to be very effective. I think the web might end up like a cross between cable television and magazines. We may have to subscribe to groups of web sites.

The bottom line is this: File servers like Fileplanet will continue to provide services only if they can make money while doing so. Can they survive by relying on advertising as their primary income? We'll see...

I have broadban access xDSL(mine is ADSL), and at work I have a limitted OC3 (dumbed down to 10mbs for the LAN)

My problem with fileplanet is there servers are never up when I want a file! they always seem to be in this state of barely up. I have a hunch they are running there servers of 2k or NT :p

filecrap.jpg

damn fileplanet

I have honestly never had a problem with FilePlanet, most likely because I live in Riverside, CA (about 80 miles from LA) and I have a cable modem. I know a few people in Washington state that get by pretty well on FilePlanet too. Come to think of it, the Infiltrations forums are the first place where I heard of complaints against FilePlanet.

Wierd.