What 3 things would you change in INF?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
A

Antikryzt

I have always wondered what are the top 3 changes that most INF players would change to the current 2.85. The results would be very interesting since the majority vote and people's similarities could mean a real need for that specific change. My top 3 would be...

1- Add more realistic movement to the weapon while walking in both the hip and aiming positions. As it stands now, it feels more like floating than anything.

2- Add new and more specific orders to the voice menu. The voice menu itself could be replaced with a onscreen radio device (basically a walkie talkie right onscreen). When you press your Menu's button, either a radio looking device could scroll in from the left, or to make it look even more realistic, make it a object you have to choose, by hitting a new "Radio key" to get to it. From there you could "feel" like you are actually talking to your team while sending out (or receiving) commands. This would be more realistic than some floating box with words in it suddenly appearing in front of your face.

3- The setting of traps. Claymore or proximity mines, either one would add a completely new element and strategy to Infiltration, in both off and online gaming.

That's my 3, what say you?

itskeiagain

Adept
Mar 12, 2001
Regardless of what 2.86 may bring, these are the three things in my must-have list right now;

Leaning online - oh the wonders of leaning!!:D

Rolling sideways while in prone position - as seen in Spec Ops2:)

Not looking through the scope while in prone position - I shouldn't have to change weapons just to get a good look around while holding a scoped rifle:(

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
1) Movement, slower and more natyural movement with short acceleration adn deceleration when going from walking or still to running. Reduced strafing speed, reduced backwards speed.

2) Aiming, adding inertia to each weapon, increasing bob when running dramatically and even further when strafing. Also add backwards recoil and sidewards recoil (shoulder dependend)

3)Damage, a more extensive damage model ussing both randomisation and vital organs to simulate realistic wounding capabilities.

poaw

You used to sleep easy at night.
Mar 25, 2001
Camp Pendleton, California
1. Improved damage model for 40mm grenades. (Less BOOM, more ZING)

2. SAR-21 (Like a Steyr AUG, but it doesn't suck)

3. Vehicles (Like APCs and such)

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
What Fur said, especially about the inertia.

To recap
1 - realistic movement, with reduced strafing and backpeddling.
2 - inertia for heavier weapons and enhanced wavering during sprinting
3 - An enhanced damage model with leg crippling and implementing all of the painfully researched ballistics data the team has collected.

Last edited:
A

Antikryzt

I have to agree with 1 and 3, I would include the inertia addition to #1 as it has to do with the body/weapon's overall movements. In it's place I would add One's idea of not always being in scoped mode while prone, we should have the ability to goto scope or not. A sniper would first use his own eye to scan thru area to area, and upon finding movement, in a certain area, then go to a scoped view.

Ok, I have already changed my number 2 and 3, pushing them back to possible secondary changes, what you people are saying about the damage model must take top precedence. I was playing offline last night on Ryan 1, and hit and wounded a enemy bot at a distance and I could have sworn he lifted up his leg and jumped up, with a slight limping effect, I knew I was just seeing things (4 a.m. and all) yet I thought to myself, damn that would make the perfect addition to INF. I would add not only limping but maybe RE2's hunched over, holding your ribs and limping for the more damaging chest/stomach wound area...or something to that effect.

DeadeyeDan[ToA]

de oppresso liber
Mar 2, 2000
Tucson, AZ, US
www.clantoa.com
1) Movement: Exactly what Fur said.

2) Weapon handling characteristics: Increased weapon bob, implement weapon misalignment (right now the rear sight is inconsequential, and you can see through a scope easily while running full speed), weapon inertia, etc.

3) Separated weight and bulk: Weight should be used like bulk is now. Bulk should be limited like in Diablo/X-Com/etc, where you have grids for areas on your body that can carry stuff, and you could get more space at the cost of movement by adding a backpack or a 40mm grenade bandolier, etc.

I would have said damage too, but from what INF team members (mostly Shakken) have said on the forums, I'd guess that they're already on top of that.

(Responding to other posts now) IMHO actual randomness is bad, just have lots of variables, so that it looks random. (Lots of different damage areas on the body, and damage affected by speed of the bullet on impact, which can be affected by barrel length, distance to target, what the bullet had to penetrate to get there, etc.)

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
(Responding to other posts now) IMHO actual randomness is bad, just have lots of variables, so that it looks random. (Lots of different damage areas on the body, and damage affected by speed of the bullet on impact, which can be affected by barrel length, distance to target, what the bullet had to penetrate to get there, etc.)

Yes but since no body ever reacts exaqctly the same and the factors that influence that are simply too many to take into consideration I think that adding zones and a fixed efect Complemented with randomisation per impact zone would make it about as close to RL as possible.

A

Antikryzt

I agree there, randomness is what RL is all about, the natural chaos realm of random chance and how one chooses to perceive it. In this case, the random act of how one individual feels and deals with pain verses another person, and both these two types of virtual "emotions," are in a sense, interchangeable as in RL. For example, where one day you feel strong and ready to take on an army, feeling little pain even if injured while on other days you already feel sluggish before a battle begins, thereby resulting in a much more dramatic and vulnerable body where you are badly shaken even if slightly wounded, resulting in getting wounded quicker than someone who at random is feeling stronger at that moment in time. Sometimes a wound can "wake" you up and cause a rapid andrenalin flow to the point where you could outgun the one who just shot you, even while wounded.

I think a limping and/or ability to use only one arm (thereby negatively affecting your aim) would add even more realism to the sim. Maybe if badly wounded enough, complete incapacitation altogether, where you better hop or crawl to nearby cover quickly or become part of the landscape.

Just a thought.

Hypenotist

Catharsis hypothesis
Mar 15, 2001
1.More player models-skins, variety...
2.Guns are useless when running except for maybe handguns.
3.parachute drop points, or random respawn parachute drops. Death from above. (saw this playing a demo of delta force 2 and it seemed cool.)

DarkBls

Inf Ex-admin
Mar 5, 2000
France
You know, I cannot (and other moderators too) add any idea if it doesn't own its own thread...

So I assume all this idea are just for talking.. ;)

A

Antikryzt

Well, I just read Warren's update on the soon to be released 2.85.5, looks like we have to wait some more yet for the more dramatic changes, I know it'll be worth it.

==================================

The Antichrist is who???
http://maxpages.com/kingarthur

SoSilencer

Harry Goz (1932 - 2003)
Nov 27, 2000
unrealdev.net
1: 40mm arming range and bounce damage fix

2: X-COM style bulk/equip screen. Every item would have a weight. Every item would also be put in a specific location. You'd have each hand plus your belt/gear pouches which would be quick access. A pistols holster on your leg or body. You could also wear a backpack which could store other things but would add time to your weapon change times. Seriously, a system just like X-COM would rule.

3: Either a movement change (mainly to strafe running back and forth) or online lean/invisibility fixes.

A

Antikryzt

So according to your #1 you would then change yourself? (I say this taking into account your own ideas #2 and #3, and also by reading all of your other posts suggesting change.) Interesting though.

========================================

"Out there" site of the day:
http://maxpages.com/kingarthur

The truth is where?

A

Antikryzt

1. nothing

2. at

3. all

Hey, with that in mind...why even have a "new version suggestions" forum at all?

Mar 19, 2001
San Diego, CA
This is more like a things I want to see added in INF question but anyways

1) Realistic Damage with limping and instant death if it in places like the heart (in RL you might not die if hit in the heart depending where but you will be incapacitated)

2) Movement and Inertia

3) Not automatically go into secondary aiming more (scope) when going prone

DeadEyeNick

Dec 30, 2000
I want a redeemer! :D

Actually now I'm a happy man, I'll be a happier man if:
1) Realistic Movements implemented like u all said.
2) Realistic Damage System, but it'll be implemented so no worries.
3) Weapon physics improvement, like what Gabriel mention.
OR
u give me my redeemer. :D J/K