PDA

View Full Version : Player freezes in SP mode after a while???

FeelXXX
11th May 2001, 11:01 PM
This is a truly weird thing... but every time i fire up UT and play in practice mode, OpenGL or D3D.... I can play for a while, then I loose the ability to control my player!

This usually occurs when I've grabbed a Powerup like the Invisibility or the Weapon Powerup... These effects usually trigger the event. The bots continue to merrily go thier way blasting my frozen self and each other, sound works, etc. I have to CNTRL-ALT-DEL and hit ENTER to get back to the desktop. There I am always greeted with the GENERAL PROTECTION FAULT window
with a long message that usually gripes about weapon flash or something. I'll copy the exact message here ASAP.

Anyone else ever get this?

ps - all other games totally ROCK SOLID!

Roguefryfry|BuF
11th May 2001, 11:05 PM
You can turn weapon flash off in the preferences,game tab.I'd try that and see what happens. My 2 cents.

Hand
21st May 2001, 01:35 AM
I've had the exact same problem - mouse and keyboard freezes, bots keep playing, general protection fault - in every patched version of UT.

Although there have been a few threads about this problem (search for "mouse AND keyboard AND freeze"), Epic hasn't fixed this or even said much about it as far as I know. It's pretty irritating because I can't ever play the game more than 5-10 minutes at a time.

My system:

PIII 733
Windows2000 (Service Pack 2)
256mb RAM
GeForce 2 Ultra (11.01 Detonators)
SBLive!

This freeze-up problem has existed even with different sound/modem/video cards, clean system installs, latest drivers for EVERYTHING, etc., etc., etc.......

I don't have this problem with ANY other games, and I have more than 20.

Long live John Carmack, who actually knows how to code a working game and doesn't style himself a Disco Pirate like some ersatz software developers ...