M4A1 Question

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Your Thought on the M4A1

• Going to unbalance the game

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • For skilled users only

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Fair and even weapon

Votes: 20 58.8%
  • Really bad weapn, a beretta would own it

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters

Cpt.Cypher

I Go By Cypher Now
Apr 7, 2001
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Visit site
So what will be the disadvantage to using the M4A1......you will be pretty close to being a walking tank once armor introduced........plus you have a gernade launcher, lazer attachmnet (making it easier to hit in close combat than most weapons), a flashlight, and a scope. Sure you will be slowed down but with the current strafing system in place and the current moving speeds people will only need to strage 1 or 2 times and just fire a gernade to wipe anyone hoping stop the M4A1 user. And in close combat they will now full-auto, which is the only failing in the M16 currently in the game. On top of that, in close combat they will have a LAM to aim with, making it so they don't have the view restriction of the iron sights that others will have to contend with. The scope will make it so other guns with scopes will not be need (such as the SIG and G11, there are others too). This would not be so bad but anyone hiding will just be killed with a nade' where as a sniper with another weapon would have to either move or pray the enemy is stupid enough to rush you.
So where is the disadvantage here. Is it in the bulk? I don't think it will be a factor as this gun is a superior sniping weapon. Is it in the CQB? I don't think so there either as the user does not need other weapons (thus having a decent bulk) and has a full-auto gun with a LAM.
So please point out where theres a disadvantage.

DeadeyeDan[ToA]

de oppresso liber
Mar 2, 2000
Tucson, AZ, US
www.clantoa.com
The M4 is indeed a great weapon, but it sure isn't going to turn anyone into a walking tank if implemented correctly. The M4 is a jack of all trades, but a master of none. While it's true that attachments for it can increase it's strength in certain areas, if implemented realisticially (as I'm sure they will be), there will be a downside each time you add something to your weapon (when you have every attachment possible, your M4 is no longer the 5.65 lb entry team member's wet dream it used to be).

And FYI, a LAM is a poor substitute for iron sights or a reflex/aimpoint sight; the only time I would use one is when I have a scope during CQB (because it is an improvement over hip shooting or using a pistol).

And what are "the disadvantages" of the other planned assault rifles, anyway? (Keeping in mind that Warren said the team will be balancing out the M203 in the future.) I know there are plenty of differences between them, but assault rifles in general are very versatile; they usually don't suck at anything.

Last edited:

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
*me hands Gabriel a Walther P99*

Rock on, this should be a top laugh.

I plan on using the M4 on almost every map currently in existance.

Of course, in keeping with my moral opposition to the M203, i refuse to use the whor.... grenade launcher.

poaw

You used to sleep easy at night.
Mar 25, 2001
Camp Pendleton, California
The disadvatage is that if you decide to buy everything and the kitchen sink to mount on it, you will be a poor poor man, that can't afford any of the other wonderful things that make up a fighting man's kit. (Like ammo)

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
I suppose the M4 won't unbalance the game; the SIG551 didn't, and some predicted a full auto AR would lead to nobody using the M16 anymore. Even if the SIG551 had a GL and 30rd mags(which I hope it gets as soon as another full-auto AR is introduced using 30rd mags) I still would use the M16A2 becasue of its lower recoil, which can be a distinct advantage.

So go and add the M4 with LAM and all the other funny things, I'm looking forward to it.

BTW: The LAM is good for 1 shot/burst, then you have to search where it is and usually that's the point where I get killed - though it proved useful in some situations.

Snakeye :D

[SOB]Grunt_X

SOB Clan Officer
Sep 6, 2000
www.theonlinegaming.com
Since when is the M4 even full-auto? Not in the current US Army stock model. Perhaps there are other models out there?

I know this because I personally had this assigned as my weapon during my last year active duty army as a tank crew member. The M4 replaced our M16's because of the smaller size.

DeadeyeDan[ToA]

de oppresso liber
Mar 2, 2000
Tucson, AZ, US
www.clantoa.com
Cypher: The M16 and G11 are both better than the M4 at long range combat. As for the SIG, it should have less recoil than a vanilla M4, and there's probably other differences (like rate of fire) that would make one or the other feel better to a certain individual.

If you use semi auto to negate recoil, that's great. I do that alot too... but in a situation like that (assuming it's medium to long range), a weapon like the FAMAS or M16, which both have about 5 more inches of barrel than the M4, would be even better. And keep in mind that not everyone uses semi-auto, so recoil will matter a lot to them... you may very well find that an M4 is deadlier than any other assault rifle when in YOUR hands, but not everyone plays like you do; people with other playing styles may ask why they would ever take an M4 when they could have a FAMAS.

Grunt_X: The "M4 Carbine" the US military buys is indeed semi/3rb, but the M4A1 and M4A2, etc, are semi/FA. (Colt makes varients of all M4s with both trigger groups IIRC, they just don't sell them to the US military.)

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
Restricting a gun so it can only have one attachment is st00pid. After all, the only reason anyone will carry a LAM is if they have a scope.

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
You forgot the esky (thats "cooler" to you americans)

The M4 can take a craptacular amount of attatchments at once, thats sort of a good thing. Being a carbine, and thus, lighter than a full sized rifle, it recoils badly.

The added weight from an M203, LAM, Flashlight, kitchen sink, 4 sub-woofers, 6 CD stacker and a set of mags would help counter the recoil, and THEN you'd be looking at an über-weapon.

It handles a cubic s<u></u>hitload of attatchments, and when fully geared out, the attatchments combine to form sort of a recoil compensator.

This is in RL though. I doubt the team would code attatchment's effects on recoil.

DeadeyeDan[ToA]

de oppresso liber
Mar 2, 2000
Tucson, AZ, US
www.clantoa.com
I wouldn't be surprised if they did that- right after they make the attachments give the weapon a downside, too. Sure, 5.65 lbs is pretty easy to whip about, great for CQB, but a loaded M203 makes it about 8.15 lbs, which is heavier than most assault rifles. If you put every attachment possible on, you'll find that any other assault rifle, with no attachments, will whoop it's ass in CQB (assuming skill of the operators is equal, etc).

Cpt.Cypher

I Go By Cypher Now
Apr 7, 2001
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Visit site
Hmmm.....

This gun would have to implemented when and if the Inf team decideds to have your aiming speed affected by yor guns weight......otherwise if it worked like Jaunty said, then it would be an "uber" weapon.

MeckonOmega

Meckon (Mech-on)
Cost, manuverability....

Cost....want ammo? body armour? a sidearm? I sure as hell wouldn''t order a McMega Colt, if its gonna cost me armour, ammo restrictions, or a sidearm.

Walking tank......The M4, yes, has ALOT of attachments, but, each one of those attachments is on another weapon as well.
ie. coming around the corner with your m4 to a opponent with a sig....
<b>YOU</b>
-grenade launcher useless.
-Laser aimer
-ACOG
-full auto
<b>OPPONENT</b>
-I have a SIG + GLaucher loadout
-Laser aimer
-ACOG
-full auto

Point is that all of the M4's attachments can be matched at any given confrontation

And last, stamina will definetly affect all M4 users, giving his/her opponents a manuverablity advantage.