Is this walking or floating?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
A

Antikryzt

OK, I think INF is realistic and all that, yet I wonder if something could be done with the walking mode, because G-dammit, it feels like I am almost floating from cover to cover.

When I hit NumPad1 (the run key for me), all of a sudden I get the most realistic bobbing effect akin to the ol' G'eye007 and that is great...yet what about placing a heavier bob effect on the walk.

Realistic? I just took my rifle, went out back, walked from tree to tree...as if there were baddies around the corner hunting for me, so it was more of a brisk walk. What I noticed, while looking at my rifle, even at the hip position there is much more bob than what INF is currently displaying.

Try it for yourself. Notice all the bobbing when you take even most simplest of steps while carrying a rifle, in any postion. Now try loading some gear on your back, put on your combat boots, grab your weapon, and walk. See the difference?

A lot of this has to do with the dangerous enviroment, the specific terrain, weight of the loaded weapon itself, the gear on your back, and the type of boots worn...all these play a part in adding movement into your back, body, and especially in the arms, thereby transferreing the shaky movements right into your weapons bobbing.

In conclusion, I would simply like to see more of an increase on the bob while walking, especially while in the aiming position. The near floating effect sux.

The INF team should add a visual change to where you could almost "feel" the steps you are taking, afterall, with all the noise these boots are making on the pavement with every step...you'd expect a little movement in your body to match.

Luminuis

Herald of the Newest Dawn
Actually, head bob is unrealistic in and of itself, In my experience I cannot realte to you that my head moves at all while I walk, though this may be due to the way I walk (knees always slightly bent, torso steady and strong, arms at sides not moving) which is the way a soldier WALKING should walk, so that he STAYS steady and so that the head bob is less, otherwise he get's your stated effect. Try walking different for a few days, and then try other ways, try taking shorter steps, longer steps, just experiment, you'll realize that with all the different way peopel walk that some people wouldn't have the bobbing problem.

A

Antikryzt

I really mean the (arms and) weapons individual bobbing effect.

I have to disagree with your post though as I have carried 30-75 pound packs on my back while wearing full military gear, and felt the changes/restrictions of proper shoulder movement the typical A.L.I.C.E. pack gives, which is then transferred right into your arms, let alone the heel on the (sometimes) heavy boot that forces you to walk differently than normal, the terrain, etc. in combination with being slightly hunched over...it all just makes the weapons movement more noticeble...kind of a swaying from side to side movement while slightly bobbing at the same time.

I am not talking about a drastic change of walking/weapon movement here, it just needs a slight more bob than we already have.

I hope you are right Fur.

Luminuis

I hate to say it, but maybe the equipment was bad? or the wrong size, or improperly adjusted? or you weren't used to it?

I grew up on a Naval Air Station dammit, I grew up around US Marines, I've carried the packs, worn full BDUs and trekked across a day long hike for a training mission, and I've always noticed that if my boots didn't fit, or soemthign threw me off then I was uncomfortable, and if a soldiers uncomfortable, that's a VERY bad thing, because he has to be comfortable in all his equipment for long periods of time, he can't risk being distracted by the fact his boot is throwing off his stride, or his pack is hindering his movement.

A

Antikryzt

Actually even if everything fits...it is still cumbersome to carry extra weight...any weight, AND IT DOES AFFECT your walking.

Don't get me wrong I am average height, 205 pounds, and have a stocky medium build, and still when carrying a gallon milk home from the store, one's stature (slight leaning to the left if right handed) has to be modified to compensate for the weight, even the weight of one gallon...how much more compensation and weight shift bodily distribution in carrying heavier loaded weapons, full pack, etc. etc. You carried a pack and walked a few miles...did ya carry 2-3 fully loaded weapons with extra mags also??? You sound like you did this at the military base on more or less a "field trip" of sorts. Have you ever seen real veterans walking, especially during wartime? It's some of the most drudgery filled, exausting and labor intensive kind of walking you have ever seen, they would enjoy how you talk about walking steady and strong or whatever you claimed above. Think you could keep that same stride for days on end, or even an INF (let's say) 24 hour operation of hunting the enemy and killing on sight? Gabriel, you speak like an unexperienced teenager with a lot of ambition, yet when it comes to actual combat, and the body/mind set that goes along with it, you have absolutely no clue. I say this in a humble, yet factual way. INF is based on actual combat and not one time events of lugging a pack around a base.

Look, a little change to the walking is a good thing Gabriel, it just helps make INF more realistic looking on the walk. Hell, try this...walk down a long hallway (or equivelent) stop focusing on your heads movement as I agree with you that there is none to speak of, YET while doing this experiment, stare at a fixed object slightly off to the left of your vision, while keeping your eyes totally still, THAT'S the movement I am talking about! It's almost a "U" shape sort of bob, isn't it? You would have to walk like a frickin' robot not to notice it.

Now add 30-50 pounds of crap on your back, don on some thick heeled combat boots, carry several loaded weapons equalling the weight of your loadout in INF and tell me.

Notice anything at all?

Nothing huh?

OK Terminator, I am sorry I even brought the subject up.

Luminuis

Tried it out this morning, I didn't notice that much of a change as I sped up, I had a full pack with REMs and such allong with BDUs and clips and a M9 and M16, allong with 3 m67 frags

I walked from one corner of my friends back yard (which spans nearly 3 square miles and is a Wargames Center he's put his life into) Over asphalt grass dirt and other types of terrain, and I suppose it is a person to person thing, because I did notice a SLIGHT shift, but only because of the fact that I had 50+ extra pounds of weight on my back, and your milk analogy...

That is when your center of balance is actually off center, try re-packing your pack and centering yourself by weighting one side more than the other, if it's your back throwing you off bend over some, because if you're getting that effect your simply off balance.

Now, onward to my point: Yes, the walking system needs to be adjusted slightly, perhaps adding the fact that in INF the soldier keeps his arms perfectly still, something that doesn't happen in real life, so perahps the weapon should bob. But these are TRAINED SOLDIERS who have carried packs like this hundreds of miles and thousands of times, so I don't REALLY see a need to fix this any time in the near future, perhaps it should be soemthing for the team to work on for 3.0 or something.

As to seeing other things moving? Yes, but that U is rather small for me, perhaps only a few inches, You try to keep that down for target acuisition and moving aiming, but I do see what you mean.

A

Antikryzt

I see what you mean as well, it's just, getting back to the game, it feels like I am not really walking with a heavy pack and weapons. I know everyone can agree there. Btw your friend's Wargames Center sounds like what I would call Heaven on earth. I bet it's too fun for mere words. I have often wished I could make something similar, yet it looks like it may take a few years, if ever.

Maybe that's where we could hold our first INF convention, (2002?) ahh...I have been in cyberspace too long. Over and out. Thanks for your replies.

Luminuis

Heh, My friends place, like I said, spans 3 square miles of incredible terrain, we've held small 2 day battles, He has a "city" set up made of concrete buildings, it IS heaven on earth, We've had some incredible fights there, using paintball guns mostly.

And after having played Sicily, the verdict is.....

You're right, there's no shift at all in INF, where even when I walk I notice SOME, and INF seems like your walking above the ground or soemthing, it's not a big thing, I've never noticed it before now LOL.

And I dunno, he tends to keep things closed, He payed several million to have it done the way it is now...and he pays a good bit of money to keep it that way.