Why aren't there many people making single player maps?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Naveed

May 7, 2001
Visit site
I really like playing single player Unreal/Unreal Gold. I really like quality SP user maps, but I've played through all the ones that are worthwhile on Nali City. Is anyone working on Unreal SP maps now at days? It's kind of a bummer not seeing many new ones coming out.

Techno JF

He Who Has Powerful Words
I know just how you feel...

Illhaven, Invasion, One Day, Strange World, Shrakith'a...I must have played all of the good ones except Hollow (because I'm stuck on the third map), Xerania (because I can't get into the final area), and Vigil 99 (because I can't get it to run in Unreal Gold). I see exactly what you mean.

I'm trying to teach myself UnrealEd so that I can make a Single Player map of my own, but it's pretty rocky for me, even with all the tutorials on the internet. However, if I persevere, I can put a concept I've come up with, known to me as "The Gallery of Nesmeynom," into .unr format. With current real life pressures, I might not get done at all, but this is a goal that I have in mind.

I'm also trying to decide whether I want to experiment with mapping or scripting first, but that's another story.

If you also have UT, you might want to check out Legacy too. It's an excellent Single Player experience.

Deathwing

Raucous Rodentia
Mar 15, 2000
Canada
Another comes out every now and then, but most people have moved on to UT, which is, of course, mainly multiplayer.

Naveed

May 7, 2001
Visit site
I've been fooling around with the Unrealed also, but it is rather tedious, especially since I need to get the dlls to get it back up in working. I had to reinstall it after I reformatted my hard drive. Thought windows was hosed when all it was was a memory problem.

I will go ahead and try Legacy out. Haven't played it yet and since I have UT mght as well. It'll be a lot more entertaining then a bot match which lacks atmosphere most of the time.

Techno JF

Cool! And don't forget, Legacy automatically comes with the latest version of a mod called Oldskool Amp'd. It has many features, including a mutator that replaces UT's weapons with those from Unreal, but its main feature is the ability to play most custom map packs from Unreal. As a rule, Oldskool Amp'd only seems to have problems with map packs that come with extra .u files, but I also had a little trouble running "One Day" through Oldskool.

What can I say? I would have gotten bored with UT a long time ago if it hadn't been for Oldskool Amp'd and Legacy. (There is a thread about Legacy somewhere on the Unreal 1 forum, BTW.)

Also, I might suggest some of the UT single player map packs that are out. The first two that come to my head are "Peril on Mars" and "Tashara's Cove," both of which are at Nali City.

Major_Error

Camper in Progress
Jul 17, 2000
The Netherlands
We are trying to create single player campaings in our mod to suit the single player fans, but we can always use another pair of hands.

sasmajorsig.jpg

Hellscrag

UnrealSP'er
Nov 10, 1999
Bristol, England
www.hellscrag.net
Veilk, if you hate single player, bugger off to the UT forum. Most people here like single player. You're addressing the wrong audience. And because YOU don't PERSONALLY like it, doesn't mean it sucks. I play single player because I like a chance to soak up and appreciate an atmosphere, and follow a story. Unreal was perfect for me.

To the original thread, yes I can really recommend Tashara's Cove ;).

Also, people are making SP, but mostly it comes out as larger packs to be run in UT like Legacy. Teamvortex http://www.planetunreal.com/teamvortex are working on one, and I have been drafted into a team who are working on one too.

Mar 13, 2000
Manchester
www5.50megs.com
yeah,

there are SP maps coming out every so often, but unfortunately the market isn't there like it used to be... There were some brilliant maps/stories that were made by 3rd party mappers, but the market is now for UT. That's the way it goes. Unreal 2 will hopefully bring things back into our court, but not for a while yet.............:)

- Crag, what's with the Bristol Southampton thing, last time I checked on a map, they were about a 100 miles away from each other???

Silicon Wolf

May 3, 2001
Visit site
I'm thinking back on the single player maps I made for Doom, and the hours upon hours upon days I spent doing it. I guess we can't complain too much if not many people want to put in that kind of time commitment. I think I'll decide to appreciate those who do.

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
Whats this I've seen about SP levels made specifically for UT (I play all my Unreal on UT anyway now), do these have stories and use UT weapons? UT rocks, but SP levels are often more awe-inspiring (theres a place for exploration and ambience as well as mayhem). Coop is very cool, wish I'd figured it out sooner. Decyberduel would make a great coop level.

Techno JF

A few UT SP maps do use the weapons from UT. Two examples that I have are "Peril on Mars" and "The Abandoned Colony." If you want to look these up on Nali City, they're in the Other Mods section for UT, and they're called "SP-Perilpack" and "Spabcv2." Also, I think that there are very few SP maps of any kind that don't have some kind of story.

usaar33

Un1337
Mar 25, 2000
Unknown
www.UsAaR33.com
Operation: na pali

There will be a demo of 7 maps or so publically released sometime soon. (week or so hopefully). Its got pretty cool things. I don't want to spoil it :D

BTW, it uses UT weapons (with the exception of the dispersion pistol).

Mind Maze

May 6, 2001
Visit site
UT was designed to be online/botmatch only game. U1 online is a **** compared to UT and SPM wasn´t designed to be coop, U2 will be.

SP maps must have a storyline, so better to do a map pack instead of just 1 map.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Could anyone tell me of a site with many or a couple of good unreal sp levels?
No i'm not a newbie to unreal :D
And i love sp. (duh that's why my favourite game is doom)
ANyway, tnx for any help :)

ps not to offend anyone here, but unreal sp plays much better with the ut weapons (oldskool mod).
I've completed the first 8 levels under 15 minutes, killed all monsters, on medium. Normally it takes me up to 35 minutes or more ( i take my dear sweet time playing unreal :D)