3DS Max to Unreal

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

kuldip

May 8, 2001
derby
Visit site
i find it a bit tedius working with the Unreal editor, i
prefer 3DS Max v4.0.....
do you know how i can convert models, levels designed in Max to be imported into the UT editor?

not just single items but complete levels.

thx

DeeperShade

Banned
Dec 8, 2000
www.tar-valon.com
Did you just email me ? :)

I was writing the reply just as I came across this :)

Yes, its easy enough to do, but not adviceable because of they way both engines work.. UED works by carving out of a 'full' world... 3dsmax works by adding to and 'empty' one... its not overly smart to try and crosshatch the two worlds..

To import into UED just export the model as .dxf format and then use the Edit->Import in UED.. its probably best to split the model into sections first..

Slick_Willy

Anyone Else Want Some?
You can make a good portion of your level in max but you will still need to import each object individually. You can make the terrain box by flipping coplaners in max and then you can add in your structures and stuff. You just have to be careful to make them pretty simple. I suggest using UED for most of the level, it isn't too hard once you get the hang of it. Just use Max for terrain and certain objects that are hard to make in UED.

kuldip

May 8, 2001
derby
Visit site
thx chaps..

now i exported my model to a *.dxf file, from Max.

i goto the unreal editor:
file/import but it's looking for a *.t3d file..um!

even if i view all files and select my *.dxf it begins to import map....then nothing appears.

PLAN B:
now i downloaded 'milkshape'...i import my max files into that and export to unreal format....
this gives me 2 files
*.3d and *.uc

but i still can't open or import any of these files into the unreal editor.....
i know i'm close

Kuldip

Slick_Willy

Anyone Else Want Some?
It won't import an entire scene. In 3dsm you have to select the object you want. Now go up to file and select Export Selected (Not Export by itself) and select DXF format. Click ok on the popup box. Now go into UED and import with a show all files to get DXF to show and click OK on that popup box. You're red brush should be like the shape in 3dsm. Try to avoid importing anything with more than a 200-300 polygons.