This is driving me crazy...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

EndlessInfinity

Where is your god now?
I have to do a debate in school about gun control. The only problem is that I'm stuck defending gun control (I'm personally against gun control). Anyway, I'm trying to find statistics on the internet and everywhere I go I'm stuck reading some soccer mom (or dad) saying "Guns are bad!" without any real evidence. Its just driving me insane.

Well, seeing as I'm here, anyone have any good arguments for positive gun control?

Lord_Bunker

Apr 18, 2000
Visit site
i had to do something similiar when i took speech and they covered debate. part of the coarse was defending stuff that you may not personally support or don't care about. one advantage you should have though and that you should use is that since your not progun control you should be able to have a good idea of what your opponet might say. try taking the defense there. i take it your not the affirmative. so a more defensive strategy might be better anyways.

i think one benefit of this exercise is to try to learn to see things from your opponents perspective and to try to use that in your debate. think of what you've heard gun control people tell you before, and figure that's what your opponents will expect you to say. then try to avoid saying that. as far as pro gun control information, try reverse engineering nra papers. then you can site them adding extra strength to your arguement. use techniques used by the media, you just delete what doesn't support your arguement. focus on what does. jsut keep good notes, they'll probably try to call you on it.

i've previously tried to find information on both sides. this will be another strength for you. you'll notice certain studies will tend to dominate most resources. i'm assuming that your at a high school level which will make that even more so. try your local search engine, that's most likely what your oppostion will do. anything that stands out on multiple occasions is a good object for scrutny, see if you can find flaws in those studies, if your opponent uses any of them, then don't hesitate to point those out during a rebuttal.

one good thing i've learned from english is how to manipulate information to really biase it. this is basically the same technique the media uses. it's not really lying, but it's not telling the truth either.

wew, that's about all the debating addvice i can think of. i'm trying to pass this on from experience in a similiar situation, i've allways prefered to try to focus on a good strategy, just don't get locked into one, you'll have to be flexable, you'll probably notice a few people if your at a typical highschool level, try to rebut things that nobody stated.

Last edited:

Mason

Self appointed voice of reason
Dec 14, 2000
Upstate NY
forums.unreal2.net
Good advise, Bunker. I usually approach a debate or argument by thinking about any arguments AGAINST what my stance is, that way you prepare yourself ahead of time to defend it. Anyone can argue FOR their opinion, but if you can do it by shooting down someone else's arguments, then you have really accomplished your goal. You don't necessarily need to PROVE your point, just disprove theirs, leaving them with no valid arguments against you. I will admit that I would find it difficult to argue FOR gun control, but that is how I would approach it: learn of the arguments against gun control and seek to shoot them down.

ThunderChunky

L337 Cube H@X0®
Jul 1, 2000
If you mail Handgun Control Incorporated, they'll send you a HUGE packet of stuff, if you just ask... :)

I ended up shooting at most of it with my airsoft pistol after my report was done... :D

Sebu_NZ

Kalashnikov's Personal Pimp!
Dec 25, 2000
New Zealand
www.muttonbone.com
Ok, here are some stats which I used im my speech:

1994 Brady Law stoped 660,000 handgun purcase, many of this were domestic voilence folks, criminals. A Great law which stop impluse suidices in teens and impluse killings of passion.

America has the 12 times the accidental gun deaths of that of 25 other industralised nation combined.

380% more child dead from handguns in American than in Canada (1997 maybe 96)

Mason

Self appointed voice of reason
Dec 14, 2000
Upstate NY
forums.unreal2.net
America has had 12 times the accidental gun deaths, but do the other nations have as high a rate of gun ownership? ..and is it proportionately greater than the other 25 countries when compared to the number of households that own guns? Just questions that might be asked of you(and I'm curious too).

Lord_Bunker

Apr 18, 2000
Visit site
they were saying on the news recently that if you own guns and have kids then your kids are more likely to be killed in an "unintentional" discharge than they are of someone intentionally shooting them.

ie 2yr old junior finds 9mm under bed, loaded, cocked, saftey off. he calls his little sis over and asks if she wants to play cops and robbers, you can probably figure out what happens here.

feel free to use a similiar storyline.

the real pacman

Gwen's my hoe
Sep 1, 2000
If you leave your gun under your bed, you have issues..
If you leave your gun loaded, you are stupid...
If you leave your gun with the safety off, you should seek help

If you do all the above and have children, you should be shot...

the real pacman

Gwen's my hoe
Sep 1, 2000
Hold on, we were on the topic of stupid american's weren't we? Thats right, no wonder I call you stupid, you leave weapons lying around for children to play with, not only weapons but weapons loaded and ready to go. God, I'm so proud to be Canadian right now :)

Chronic

unƒuckwithable
Aug 13, 2000
9mm?

We all know that the people who leave guns loaded with safety off under the bed with kids in the house don't own 9mms! These are the same people that get a bank loan at 11.1% interest to buy a 24k gold Desert Eagle .44 mag;)