M82a1, Oicw?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

RogueDog

May 1, 2001
duluth MN
Visit site
what i want to see is an m82a1 barret .50 sniper rifle in another game other than delta force land warrior. god i love that thing... i guess it's not a very practical weapon for a game like INF, because there really aren't many extremely wide open areas that are good for that kind of weaponry. ah well, just a thought....

i think i just want to see the gun ingame to see some bodies fly through the air as the bullets connect.

aside from the "light fifty", i'd also like to see an OICW. as ugly and bulky as they look, i really like them.

ah well, i'm sure you've probably thought about these before, and i doubt you'll take these requests seriously (i wouldn't....) but i'd just like to say that INF is the best mod i've ever played for UT by far, keep up the good work guys :eek:D

HanD_of_DarKNesS

Evil Bastard
May 23, 2000
Ottawa, ON (Canada)
Weapon suggestions are generally disregarded by the INF team, though the encourage us to discuss such ideas anyways (that's the official word on these new forums).

regarding the OICW, it isn't expected to hit service until 2006-2007, and thus won't be implemented into Infiltration until that point (The INF team is decided on only implementing weapons currently in military service: the Desert Eagle and H&K G11 are sole exceptions due to previous plans).

As far as the M82A1 goes, a semi-auto .50 BMG would unbalance the game (even despite the massive bulk value). INF already has a .50 BMG bolt-action (the Robar RC50), and a 7.62x51mm NATO semi-auto (the H&K PSG-1).

Finally, regarding the bullets throwing people into the air upon being hit. IRL (as opposed to Hollywood) it just doesn't happen. Remember that the shooter of a weapon takes just as much force to himself, as the bullet is capable of transferring to the target minus the negating effect of any recoil-suppression built into the gun). In reality, a target hit by a bullet will likely just drop like a rock after being shot. Even something like a .50 BMG won't lift a man up and throw him around. The only thing close to an effect like this is a target in motion being hit and losing balance: falling over.

ElectricSheep

Tommy Vegas
May 11, 2000
Newark, DE
Finally, regarding the bullets throwing people into the air upon being hit. IRL (as opposed to Hollywood) it just doesn't happen. Remember that the shooter of a weapon takes just as much force to himself, as the bullet is capable of transferring to the target minus the negating effect of any recoil-suppression built into the gun).

This isn't always the case. Remember, force is a function of acceleration, and the acceleration of the bullet out of the rifle is not likely to be the same as the decelleration the bullet experiences when it hits a target. I would venture to guess that the impact forces are signifigantly higher than firing forces.

Momentum, on the other hand, is conserved for the entire system (shooter, gun, gases, bullet, target, etc...). So, if your shot imparts enough momentum into a man-sized target to throw it through the air, your in for a helluva ride yourself....

I would guess that in most cases, people fall after getting shot because they are either dead, or the shock of getting hit by a rifle caliber round caused disruption of muscular functions in the area of impact. Non-working leg muscles generally means your going to find yourself eating dirt in a short period of time...

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
Its been said once, i'd like to say it a 2nd time....

May ShaKKen have mercy on your soul.

RogueDog

May 1, 2001
duluth MN
Visit site
good god, i didn't really expect to have that much of an elaborate reply there... when i said "fly back" with the m82a1, i didn't mean literally, and as for the oicw being a piece of crap, well what's your reasoning behind this? i agree, the gun looks like a lazer tag or a squirt gun, but i wouldn't make fun of the gun when someone was pointing it at me (of course i wouldn't make fun of anything about the person if they had any sort of gun pointed at me, but that's beside the point)

ElectricSheep

Tommy Vegas
May 11, 2000
Newark, DE
Well, you have to remember that many posters here consider Infiltration a hardcore realism mod; a squad level combat simulator, if you will.

Statements like "see some bodies fly through the air as the bullets connect. " are going to trigger responses as to why you will <em>never</em> see this in Infiltration (or IRL, for that matter). There are three reasons I can think of as to why a body would be flying through the air after being shot:

1. The guy getting shot was in the air to begin with
2. You shot the guy in the ass and he jumped up grabbing his wounded gluts and screaming in pain.
3. The 'bullet' was actually a 120mm HE shell that didn't really hit him, but just landed at his feet.

I think the likelyhood of any of the three occuring with any sort of regularity in Infiltration is pretty slim.

Well kind of. You definately jerk back (the amount depends on the force delivered by the weapon and your bulk), but you wouldn't necessarily recoil straight up, but more random, for a single shot on some position to rest the front of the rifle the recoil would perhaps even force the rifle's aim down.

-->RedStorm<--

Feb 23, 2001

I certainly don't want to take an OICW on a field trip. When sand or something else comes in the gun, it's totally screwed up. And this is discussed thousands of times before. Just go and look for the one million people who suggested this before.

Luminuis

Herald of the Newest Dawn
With the barret if it hit something harder than it could pierce the speed and power of the round would easily move it a medium distance, I'd say 3 feet at MAXIMUM though,

Now, about the Barret, it is INCREDIBLY heavy, which negates MOST of the recoil, it also makes the gun quite easy to aim on a tripod but without a tripod makes it nearly immpossible. The Barret cannot, I stress CANNOT be fired by most human beings while they are in an upright position, the recoil withit it being attached to the ground by a tripod is enomous, From what I have seen and personal experience, I'd sya the Barret is just way too bulky for an INFer to carry about, it also has a two man team of spotter and sniper, because the gun is disassembled to be carried, and only the spotter carries a handgun, as the barret is meant to take down light vehicles, not human beings and a sniper with one should never let the enemy get close enough to shoot at him...

As to the OICW, what a piece of movie grade ****... a 20mm high explosive round? ICK!

RogueDog

May 1, 2001
duluth MN
Visit site
yea, the israeli military is using it against the arabs, and i heard it's accurate up to a mile and can blow a hole in a manhole cover that's big enough to fit your entire arm through from 500 yards away (i think 500...) i can see how that would make the game unbalanced.... el well, it was worth a shot.

Dr.Dase

Feb 26, 2001
The Israeli uses the Barret as a HTI, ie. a Hard Target Interdiction rifle, not a sniper rifle, they use it against hard targets, such as armored vehicles and bunkers etc. Here's what it says on a page about Israeli Special Forces: "The Barrett “Light Fifty” Model 82A1 is the most popular 0.50 caliber rifle in the world was originally designed for extreme long range sniping (over 1000 meters). However, its semi auto mechanism combined with mediocre human engineering and the lack of proper 0.50 match grade ammunition contributed to the fact that the M82A1 is a rather low accuracy rifle.

Therefore, the weapon's destination was switch from sniping to Hard Target Interdiction (HTI), hence shooting at Armored Personal Carrier (APC), cars, through walls, etc. "

Here's the addy to the page: http://www.isayeret.com/weapons/barrett.htm

Dr.Dase

Feb 26, 2001
As for the OICW, it's one helluva peice of machinery, don't be fooled by it's bulky appearance or it being in Delta Force: Land Warrior, in DF, it's basically a combat rifle with a grenade launcher. In fact, it's a lot more. The weapon is practically a H&K G36 with a 20mm cannon and a kickass scope on. The scope is a lot more than a simple magnification thingy, it's a targeting computer. It has a laser rangefinder, and this data can be transfered to the 20mm cannon, and the ammunition can be set to explode after a set range, so if an enemy is hiding in a foxhole 50 meters away, you can set the ammo to explode after 50 meters and aim over his head, and it will explode over the poor guy. It can also be set to explode after penetrating a set number of obstacles, such as walls, so if an enemy is hiding in a house, you can set the grenade to explode 1 meter inside the wall.

Simulated combat trials have shown the OICW an awesome improvement of the M16A2, but i can't find the data i had on this....