Please upgrade the AI

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rogue74

Disposable Soldier
Oct 20, 2000
The INF bots are dumb as a brick! If I play against the bots, I soon lose interest and it becomes more fun to shoot my team bots who are disobeying orders!

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
I suppose the team is aware of this, though I wouldn't call them that dumb. My personal impression is, that they improved quite a bit from 2.80 to 2.85, but then it's only my point of view - though I might be able to judge it a bit better, since I can't play online, so I can't compare them to online play, only to previous versions.

Anyway, is a disobeying bot, who is shot by a human, legally a team kill or was he just quickly 'court-martialed'?

Snakeye :D

Lord_Bunker

Apr 18, 2000
Visit site
it's not that the bots are dumb, it's just like having rambo in swan lake. you could put him there but he wouldn't really fit.

same goes for the bots, they're the ut bots pure and simple. they are pretty adept at ut deathmatches, but they don't really fit the realism of inf.

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
I'm aware of the fact, that the bots don't fit in INF right now, I just didn't like to call them dumb. Though I know the team is working on bot AI(they always to so..), I also prefer to be realistic and don't expect any miracles. AI today still is very limited, and even good AI, like in UT, becomes dumb fast when the parameters are changes enough - like it happened in INF. So I think the team will surely come up with something good, but I don't think it will be close to real life or online gameing.
Still the INF team used to surprise me more than once with their work, so I'll wait for the next version, and have a look how the bots behave then..

Snakeye :D

Rogue74

Disposable Soldier
Oct 20, 2000
Hmmm

>Anyway, is a disobeying bot, who is shot by a human, >legally a team kill or was he just quickly 'court->martialed'?

I call it a field court martial... You say Tomato, I say Tamato. ;)

I've just had problems with the bots standing in place walking in tight circles. It looks like a ballet! They also never engage, they just stand around. I guess I should try playing online!

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
Unfortunatly AI has been the biggest victim in FPS games geared toward multiplayer in the last couple of years.

Personally i dont want bots that act like Human Players, but more like Human Soldiers. This is a very fine line, and honestly i don't think that alot of people know the difference esp in first person gaming, because generally most people aim for the goal of making the differences between a Player and Bot undetectable.. While although this is a very admeriable goal, it can be very difficult, and many times doesn't result in a realistic or life like player.

For Example if you've played the new demo for Metal Gear Solid 2, or even the original, you'll notice the extreemly "inteligent" AI. The AI doesn't mimic what a player would be doing in their shoes, but what a soldier, or person would be doing in that role. The overall effect is very impressive, esp in the case of the sequel with the "search" teams.

I'd love to see INF working with similar AI, where the bots acted so "reaslistically" you thought you watching a news report. But i don't think it will happen. it'd sure be nice though.

Xenomorph

Death Incarnate
Jan 11, 2000
LV-426, "Archeron"
www.d3fx.com
I found that a lot of the official INF maps (like Kazkistan) have bad bot support. The bots, like in the one above, just stay where they spawned.
I also find it annoying that the team I'm in always seems to get killed off before the enemy, even if I don't give them any orders.