Outdoor terrain

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ingen

Seek peace...
May 3, 2001
Isla Sorna
fusionware.tripod.com
I am wondering, how can (in Unreal Editor for Unreal - not ut) make outdoor terrain - like it is in harobed village and other places in the Unreal. I know how to make it with Floor Loofter, this makes an cube (blue colored), splited in polygons. But when i watched into harobed level (or other), i saw that terrain is not a cube, and the polygons are brown. First i thought, that it is made out of 2d sheets. And thats the point, where i stopped. So, my question is, how to make an outdoor terrain, and if it is made out of sheets, somebody please tell me, how to make it. Are there some really good tutorials for unreal editing on the web?

Thanks for answering!

_]b[InGen]C[_

Slick_Willy

Anyone Else Want Some?
That terrain was made with 3d Studio Max. Unless you have an external program like that then you won't be able to make those optimized terrain brushes. UED2 does have a few extra tools you can use to help out but they won't be as clean as making the terrain in 3dsm.

purice

coon dog
Dec 19, 1999
Visit site
terraedit is also good for making outdoor terrain.

pros:
fast
free
nice results

cons:
takes a little while to get the hang of it
bsp problems can be a pain at first

Tecman

My "Ad Hominem" takes 7.62mm
May 4, 2001
Chickenistan
www.nanoaugur.net
Complex outdoor editing in UnrealEd

Allrighty, we got TerraEdit up and running, but the thing is, that in UnrealEd2, it just doesn't import it right. I don't know if im stupid or is my comp giving me false infos. Anyway, half of the brush acts as if i had intersected it, and half normally (add).

HELP!

PS: Well InGen, its time to kixx ass, ne?

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
I would add a "high poly w/o experience" to the Terraed Cons list. Anywayz, it's cool. (I love the heightmap import function)

With 3Dstudio you need to export the model to DXF format and then import it into UEd as a Brush.

purice

coon dog
Dec 19, 1999
Visit site
for landscape i usually import the brush, rightclick
->mirror about z axis, resize if necessary and subtract. the walls and rectangular ceiling can be set to fake backdrop.

you'll have to experiment with the size and polycount of the imported brush.

layering more than one landscape brush will yield very nice looking results, esp with different (but similar) terrain textures. again, watch the polycount as it can get OUT OF HAND very quickly.

purice

coon dog
Dec 19, 1999
Visit site
i suppose that depends on what you mean by acceptible. more polys = more detail = poor performance.
i imported a 6500 poly brush from terraedit one time for shi*ts and giggles. needless to say, i wasn't able to subtract it.
i kept cutting the polycount by small amounts until i was able to subtract and texture it. it looked great but it was extremely slow.
i've been searching for that sweet spot between nice looks and good performance ever since :)

ingen

Seek peace...
May 3, 2001
Isla Sorna
fusionware.tripod.com
Texturing my terrain....

Ok, everything works as it should, but when i put textures on those polygons, textures start mighty-magicly jumping!I dont know, what bug is it - i just call it VeleInfernalStupidity(vele means big in our language). Purice, i saw you got a lot of knowledge about unreal engine at all - can you help me??

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
What do you mean by magicly jumping?
I guess they aren't aligned. You'll have to wait for the new engine to have textured brush imports.

Now you'll have to align them manually. Some help is that the Align to floor works as an automatic planar texture aligner in the horizontal plane...

ingen

Seek peace...
May 3, 2001
Isla Sorna
fusionware.tripod.com
Ow...

Hello Chris!
Well, i already have aligned them, but when i run the game, they are aligned, but somehown, when you look towards the or walk, they move for a little....an shake...i dont know how to explain it...cos im not so good at english at all...