Lucas Arts #$#$#$#$

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Cursed1

Apr 2, 2001
Visit site
What the hell is going on with that any way? I know of a bunch of games that have add-ons/MODS that use images from Star Wars....someone better not let them know that there are Tie Fighters,X-Wings,A-Wings,B-Wings,and the Millenium Falcon add-ons for MS Combat Flight Simulator....Damn lawers rule the Earth and turning it into a living hell I tell ya.................

SimplyCosmic

ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.
Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
Well, they did use trademarked and copyrighted material without LucasArt's permission.

Mind you, after seeing Episode One, was there any doubt left in your mind that Lucas is in it for anything other than the money? :rolleyes:

Cursed1

Apr 2, 2001
Visit site
well the whole Jar Jar Binks thing has me blown away but I really did expect MORE from Lucas Arts....Its BS and I think that everyone knows it

SimplyCosmic

Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
Well, it's their intellectual property to do with as they see fit.

They can either give it away, or charge millions of dollars for, which is their right.

And being that they have in the past produced FPS using their Star Wars universe characters, and will no doubt do so in the future, they are well with their rights and best interest to prevent others from infringing on their copyrights and trademarks.

We may not like it, but we can't really do much about it.

Kray

Time chaser
Sep 17, 2000
Fool's Paradise
utgallery.tripod.com
Its all about goodwill...

Originally posted by SimplyCosmic
We may not like it, but we can't really do much about it.

I agree. SC's statement that pretty much sums it up. :(

Even though by law LucasArts is right, I would have thought that LucasArt has more goodwill to allow small time mod/map/skin makers to continue with their work.

It is fair to say that star wars maps and skins won't cause lost revenues to any LucasArts's future FPS, plus the mod is given out free, so the mod maker are not making money from it. If anything, these user-made maps and skins only serves as free advertisement for LucasArt, something that will make people stay interested in star wars shooters until the real star wars FPS (by LucasArts) comes out.

But as they say, business is business.

DeeperShade

Banned
Dec 8, 2000
www.tar-valon.com
since the latest games made by them are very lame

Actually the only crap game they've brought out is that damned 3rd person one from Episode 1.. all the others were good..

Youve just been reading too many reviews and not playing enough games...

mobace

rimmerlike :(
all the others were good?

other than the flight sims, dark forces stuff and i think the mediocre racer its been pretty much junk. try the demos for the Episode 1 3rd person game or *shudder* force commander.

i was not much for the SW maps cause to put it bluntly i thought they were hastily done and kind of shioty, but i think it is lame of Lucasarts.

As to Episode 1 'The Letdown', i thought lucasarts was a separate from lucasfilm.

mobace

rimmerlike :(
Dear Friends,

I have just read and signed the online petition:

"To Lucas Arts LTD, Please Allow Pat Fitzsimons To Continue?"

hosted on the web by PetitionOnline.com, the free online petition
service, at:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/LALTD/

I personally agree with what this petition says, and I think you might
agree, too. If you can spare a moment, please take a look, and consider
signing yourself.

Best wishes,

Aaron Eberhart

TaoPaiPai

Commisaire Van Loc
Jun 13, 2000
Matnik
Visit site
I have a better idea than those petitions:
Let's start a campaign to boycott all lucasarts products (including movies and games).
The movies have become very lame and childish and the games suck and only serve to bring money to the lucas film dollar machine.
Let it be a warning for all greedy entertainement company that forget to make valuable stories and all companies that would like to harass mod-makers and fan for using *copyrighted* material.
we are not passive consumers are we?
Ok let's spread the word now :D

the_demigod

AbsoluteGamerz.com
Feb 10, 2001
UK
www.absolutegamerz.com
Its strange that LA would go so far as to ban the project- they have allowed the SW fans to make their own movies and such, but suddenly get paranoid about a mod???

I think its more along the lines of: "if we can't make money from it- no one else will".

They simply hide their game-design incompetence.

But similarily, the AvP source code and mod tools are NOT popular due to Fox Interactive's bad will.

So, its not just lucas that's messing with the gaming community.

SimplyCosmic

Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
They didn't ban anything.

They sent out a "cease and desist" letter from their legal department, which is basically standard practice and often amounts to a "Stop .. or we'll say 'stop' again .."

These letters get sent out to any and every trademark and copyright infringement that their legal department comes across. It's up to the person or company infringing on their property to stop at that point.

This isn't going to make me very popular, but I see nothing wrong with LucasArts sending out those C&D letters, as this mod maker did infringe on LA's legal rights, and I also highly doubt that he followed LA's guidelines on fan created works and contacted their legal department before going ahead with his project.

If instead of creating an original work, you intend on creating something based off the work of others, it's good manners to contact them to inform them that you intend to do so, regardless of the legal concerns.