Hand-to-Hand: The human way

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The-Doc

Some random guy
Nov 18, 2000
Middle of nowhere, UK
Before you lot read the rest of this post please go here

Finished???

Good.

Now, I'd like to see the ability to get into hand-to-hand without having to use a knife, or other weapon.
I think it would be really cool if you could get into a fisticuff with the enemy in the middle of a battle.

I know that the Rangers, SEALs, SAS, SBS, Spetznaz, and the Isreali Druze commando's are all taugt advanced hand to hand during basic training, so I was wondering if the inclusion of this would be possible in INF.

If it was possible, would it be added, and what moves would we be able to make???

ElectricSheep

Tommy Vegas
May 11, 2000
Newark, DE
One of the primary reasons Netplay didn't make into Oni (man, what a dissapointment that was) was because the nature of the combat system meant that anything short of an ultra-fast lan made syncing impossible. The problem is that advanced hand-to-hand would be even more twitch-intensive than just pure gunplay. By the time you saw an opponents attack *start*, he would have already hit you and taken you down.

Dr.Dase

Feb 26, 2001
Lag would make this impossible, plus that even though you could engage an enemy in HtH, you'd probably be better off gunning him down, rather than trying to beat his ass....

But i still resent the currect HtH system, this is ridiculous, and with lag it's practically impossible to hit a moving target.

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
I think this isn't needed, at least not now, with the knife and all. Adding yet another melee fighting option might add too much to the complexity of the game, and you usually won't need to use hand to hand in real combat.

DarkBls

Inf Ex-admin
Mar 5, 2000
France
Isreali Druze commando's

And GIGN have the same hand to hand combat style than them.

I have the luck to have the same teacher than GIGN member. This guy was an Israelien commando leader.

About your Flash movie, I like it but Kung-Fu is definitly not a modern military hand to hand combat style.

Using it in the heat of a firearm is a stupid behavior !
I know none who can stop any bullet type with his body :rolleyes:

The only way to use your fighting skill is maybe for sentry removal (An armed guy taken by surprise) or an unarmed guy.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Melee - combat is not completely impossible with the Unreal-engine (just look at Rune ...)
but it requires a 3rd-person view (and a fast internetconnection) to work effectively.

Even in Rune you only have a very limited amount of moves compared to real-life, and the bot-AI would need to be pretty good too.

HtH would be worse, because of the more precise movements/hitdetection needed ...

All in all it looks like a lot of work for something that's only used in an emergency in Infiltration.

Pleuresaap

Corporal Cock
Apr 18, 2001
up yours
Visit site
how about just a neck break move then? it isn't really needed but it would be cool. a knife kill still makes noise when the enemy screams. sometimes a neckbreak move could be handy. it would have to be completely silent and can only be performed from behind.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
When slitting a throat you still get the gurgle, you can cover the mouth but that won't stop it as the gurgle comes from the severed windpipe and thus the neckwound.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
unless youwant to stab them in the back of the head which would take concidearbel strength to get trough the thick back skull as well of the danger of the knife delecting and the scream of ths soldier alarming everybody in a 5 mile radius.

DarkBls

Inf Ex-admin
Mar 5, 2000
France
Yes I'm teacher of a military hand 2 hand style, but I'm not an expert. I use to teach to beginner and keep learning myself.

I'm (till now) a civilian. So when I ask the GIGN teacher to teach me how to do sentry removal with a knife without any scream, he said I didn't have to know for now. :(

But believe me those technic exist !

The_Fur your message is like an expert in military hand 2 hand combat would post. Are you ? I don't think.

When I don't know a something I say I don't know. On this one I jsut know the technic exists.

When you don't know something just admit it.

If you want to know more about the GIGN teacher:

Kommando Magazine 1996

DarkBls

Inf Ex-admin
Mar 5, 2000
France
I bet it would done in one movement by striking te tip of the blade directly to the brain by entering by an under hear area.

Or in 2 movements, by first know down the sentry by striking him with the pommel of your knife and them cutting.

But it is just some suppositions !

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
cover mouth, stab in spleen or liver, should finish him off in a short time (Liver would mean death in about half a minute due to blood polution if i remember correct.

Hmm this is getting scary...

*runs off screamig with hands above his head*
"EEEEEEEEEEEEEKK"

:D

The-Doc

Some random guy
Nov 18, 2000
Middle of nowhere, UK
A quick way I know of killing someone without having a lot of blood pool out of a cut in their throat/body is to stab them in the back of the neck, severing the spinal column.

This INSTANTLY kills someone (if your good at it, that is) and you wont have the scream, gurgle, or blood on the floor that is the normal methods of alert you might find in combat.

However, if you could take out someone (ie a sniper) without having to use a weapon, then a quick snap of the neck would be best...

Even though REAL hand to hand is impossible using the UT engine, it would be cool to see it implemented...

Pleuresaap

Corporal Cock
Apr 18, 2001
up yours
Visit site
you can also knife someone without sound by covering his mouth, pulling his head up as hard as possible and cutting his throat very deep and hard. this recuires a lot of strength though. i'm still all for a neckbreak move

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
Well, no first hand experience here, but somebody once explained that in order to break a neck you'd have to start working out 2 years agoi and stop in about 2 decades ofconstant training, then MAYBE you'd be able to snap a neck with your hands.

The military way to snap necks uses gravity to assist, the attacker grabs the victims head and holds it in a special way, then he knocks the victim over trough his knees and falls back. OR he takes the victims head and holds him by his neck while pulling him over his back and that way snapping his neck.

OICW

Reason & Logic > Religion
Well Shakken has said that Inf is both a normal military and special forces mod or more correctly a simulator IMO, so the team would have to choose between basic and advanced hand-to hand techniques.

Anyway, normal infantry are taught the basics of hand-to hand combat, while special forces do a lot more training.

Special forces are taught some pretty rough stuff (they cover a bit of this in normal infantry training) such as gourging out eyes, stomping of people's heads when they are on the ground, crushing windpipes etc.

Hand-to hand would be all right, but it would be too hard to properly implement it in Inf I think.