Shots of my first UT map...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Make sure you keep a good balance between open and secluded spaces..i mean, not too many cramped rooms, or the other way around too open areas..
But it looks nice :)
P.S. don't say your map is gonna end up to be crap! :)
It won't be a devastating map i guess, cause it's a first map, but make the best out of it! take your time.. that's what's important.

GazChap

Happy Chappie
Apr 30, 2001
United Kingdom
www.gazchap.com
Cheers for the comments. Most of the cramped rooms are gonna be in the office section that is visible on the page I linked to. The R&D area and Storage bays are gonna be quite open spaced to give the rocket launcher lovers what they crave :)

REeeE{skullface}

p-REeeE-dictable
Feb 28, 2001
SF, CA
Visit site
looks good, but...

Make sure you align textures, I saw a ceiling out. Also make sure to have z-axis and all that. Trim the hard corners and all that blah blah blah... :)

Does the glass shatter, the pc etc? Do the dors open (i love movers) is there a stairewll, evevator, roof scene for aded skybox pleasure, windows...? anyway now I want to know...

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

GazChap

Happy Chappie
Apr 30, 2001
United Kingdom
www.gazchap.com
Blimey, you -were- paying attention! ;)

Yeah, some of the ceiling textures are screwed up a bit, and no matter how hard I try I can't get them to align properly.

The glass shatters, naturally (only once though, none of this respawning glass garbage!) but the PC's don't :(

The doors move, in a "split in half, one half slide to the left, the other to the right" type way.

I've used 9 different brushes to construct the main rooms (octagonal shape) because I didn't even KNOW about the 2D editor at the time. I can't take out the rooms and shove in a 2D-editored version now either, 'cos the walls inside the rooms etc. don't show up. Can't be ar*ed to redo the interiors of the rooms :(

REeeE{skullface}

p-REeeE-dictable
Feb 28, 2001
SF, CA
Visit site
yeah

the editor gets tough man :)

aligning the textures: use the "t" on your button bar with arrows in north south easet and west directions to move up and down, left and right. use this like you are moving in the editor. ex: click on the "t" with straight arrows, move to the 3d view, now your pointer should have the arrows (up, down, left and right) so click on the texture, hold, and move forward backwards, left and right to get used to how it works. The texture should move, not your view.

also, the "t" with curved arrows around it turns the texture clockwise and coulter clockwise...it works the dame as above.

learning that helped me out a whole lot.

breaking glass f#$**ing rulz! I love when people put that in the maps.

Good luck man, and you whould try posting in the editing forum, you might feel right at home and people there look at maps and give opinions all day :)

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

GazChap

Happy Chappie
Apr 30, 2001
United Kingdom
www.gazchap.com
Cheers for the info :)

I've started building the map all over again, this time using a 2D-editored version of the octagonal rooms so the poly count should be lower, and the textures are nice and aligned anyway :)

Killer Jedi

Feb 19, 2001
www.whits.free-online.co.uk
How do you make smashing glass?

Hi Gaz,

I am new to Unreal Tournament level editing like you, and I was wondering if you could tell me how to make the smashing glass. I have tried but without sucess.

Thanks,
Jedi Master (James Whitmore).

REeeE{skullface}

p-REeeE-dictable
Feb 28, 2001
SF, CA
Visit site
just a note

Jedi,

if you have questions on editing, go to the UT editing forum and post. there are lots of people looking to hook you up with advice :)

just a thought

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Hellscrag

UnrealSP'er
Nov 10, 1999
Bristol, England
www.hellscrag.net
Just one thing for future reference

When you subtract over added brushes and they disappear in the 3d view, go to a 2d view and select them, then right click and choose Order > To Last

Then they'll show up.

Killer Jedi

Feb 19, 2001
Thanks GazChap...

Hi GazChap,

Thanks for the telling me about that tutorial, I have just printed it out. I will try to get the breaking glass to work as soon as possible.

Good luck with your maps,
Jedi Master.

GazChap

Happy Chappie
Apr 30, 2001
United Kingdom
www.gazchap.com
Cheers for that tip Hellscrag, pity I didn't know about that before I obliterated my map so I could do a 2D-editored version :) Hehehe.

Will definitely come in handy in the future though, cheers!

Jedi Master: Good luck dude. If you need a hand getting the breaking glass to work, drop me a line and I'll -try- and help :)

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
Originally posted by Hellscrag
Just one thing for future reference

When you subtract over added brushes and they disappear in the 3d view, go to a 2d view and select them, then right click and choose Order > To Last

Then they'll show up.
Damn I didn't even know that and I've already released a map:D

Killer Jedi

Feb 19, 2001
Breaking glass problems...

Hi GazChap,

I managed to set up the broken glass ok, but when I look at the texture in the game it is the default Unreal Editor texture and you cannot see through the window. When you shoot it, it explodes as it should though. Have you got any ideas what has gone wrong?

Thanks,
Jedi Master.

GazChap

Happy Chappie
Apr 30, 2001
United Kingdom
www.gazchap.com
Did you set 'bTranslucentGlass' and 'bUnlitGlass' to TRUE in the BreakingGlass properties?

They're under the "ExplodingWall" bit in the BreakingGlass properties.

Thats the only thing I can think of.

Killer Jedi

Feb 19, 2001
I tried that, but no luck :(

Hi GazChap,

Do you have to assign a texture to the mover, as in the Editor it always seems to put a texture on it. Do you need to alter any properties for the mover, for example texture, solidness etc?

Thanks,
Jedi Master.

GazChap

Happy Chappie
Apr 30, 2001
United Kingdom
www.gazchap.com
On the mover, when you're actually creating the glass window that forms the mover, make sure that on the surfaces that are made out of glass, you set their properties to Translucent (select the surfaces, go to Surface Properties, and in the Flags tab click on Translucent)

You can find some good glass textures in (I think) GenIn.utx