How to change the color of a texture?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

CousCous

Hysteric
Mar 20, 2001
Chicago
Visit site
Hey guys, I wanna use the texture of Mars from Xfx.utx, but I don't want it to be red, I want it blue. I know that I can special lite it, but if I do that, it has to be REALLY blue or else it looks purple. (the red and the blue mix except on really low saturation levels).

So, basically I just want to make the texture black and white, so when I special lite, I can make it a softer, lighter, more romantic blue. (I'm going for some serious ambience here). Do I need Paintshop Pro or something? Cuz' all I got is paint and some stoopid Kodak imaging prog that does nothing. Help yo?

BitBasher

Quantum Singularity
Mar 24, 2001
The Void
www.user.dccnet.com
You want blue? I've got yer blue right here!

Here's BLUE! You want BLUE, you got it! REALLY REALLY DEEP BLUE. ;)

BB.

PS: Heya CousCous, I like your new avatar WAY better than the old geeky looking one! :cool:

Last edited:

BitBasher

Quantum Singularity
Mar 24, 2001
The Void
www.user.dccnet.com
Here's a screeny...

Note that the JPeg compression makes the image look a tad fuzzy, but the UTX file will not look as fuzzy because there's no compression in the texture file.

Oh, the original mars texture was in XbpFX, not XFX. ;)

BB.

BitBasher

Quantum Singularity
Mar 24, 2001
The Void
www.user.dccnet.com
Originally posted by Nevroticur
Why not make it in greyscales? Than you could light it any color you would like...

No real reason why not. Either a deep blue texture works, or a grayscale image with probably some special lit lights. Of course, the blue image (assuming I've hit the desired mood-de-la-ambiance) takes a bit less work as you don't have to mess with lighting it, shadows, bright corners, etc, if you say stick it in the map as unlit.

If CousCous wants a grayscale version of it, I can do that too.

BB.

CousCous

Hysteric
Mar 20, 2001
Chicago
Visit site
Geeky looking avatar! I took that old picture right off my driver's license you lugnut! ;)

Anyways, aside from the offensive remarks regarding my glorious visage, I would like to extend my thanks for the beautiful shot of blue Mars. However, I already have the exact same orb floating in my skybox (see attached image) and I'm not happy with it. It just looks too blue. The original Mars shot isn't completely bright red, it's dusty red with hues that make it look round. When it's all blue like that, (I just special lit it to blue) the planet looks flat.

And whats with the grayscales Nev? I'm not down with all the hip editing lingo yet, so you'll have to explain that one to me.

Mmmmmmm...I guess my question should be: "how do I alter the color of textures?" rather than "how do I get a blue Mars?"

Oh and BB? That new avatar is part of a picture I took of a stained glass window in a cathedral in Spain, while on vacation. So it looks cool, but I'm still geeky.

Nevroticur

God Like Me!
Mar 1, 2001
Norway [Vennesla hæran]
home.no.net
Hi CousCous!

Well, I'll attach a greyscaled utx file of the mars images. Note that the edges around some of them are already there in the original images, only not so visible. If it works out I can always try and edit the textures so that the edges are removed, or you just make the sheet you use it on it little smaller than the image, so the edges woun't be seen... Now just lit this in blue, and tell us how it looks... Or if I'm not wrong, I azume you can light it any color you would like... tell me...

CousCous

Hysteric
Mar 20, 2001
Chicago
Visit site
Hey Nev!!

That's perfect for the black and white Mars. I figure I'll just lite that puppy up a little on one side, kinda fade from dark blue to light blue, and it'll look great. Thanks a bunch. I gotta do it tomorrow tho', it's way past my milk and cookies time.

How did you do that anyhow? It'd be great to know how to suck the color out of any basic, patterned texture. You could light it up any color you want then.

Anyhoo, thanks again for the .utx, I'll put you in the credits when I finish the map around summer, 2003. ;)

Nevroticur

God Like Me!
Mar 1, 2001
Norway [Vennesla hæran]
home.no.net
Heya CC!

Glad you could use it... It isnt a problem to convert to greyscales, all bigger paint/image proggys normally have the option. I use psp7 and it takes 10 sec... first I export the textures to .pcx files, open them in psp, convert to greyscales, save, import to a utx pack in UEd2 and voila... Ofcoz, lame proggys like MS paint aren't advanced enough for this, bubt the freeware proggy IView is more than capable of doing it.
http://stud1.tuwien.ac.at/~e9227474/ if you want it, its only ~400kb, and well worth it!

Lokking forward too summer 2003 then ;)