Modem play?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

eagleAR

Nov 25, 2000
what operating system u r using?
if u r using win98 then connect thru dialup server first & then start game server

Gamma_Sword

Terrible, Terrible Damage!
Feb 12, 2001
Not There
Uh, how do you exactly do that? I wanted to have one-on-one with my friend but I need to know how to set up an game server so we could play.

I would like to know step-by-step of creating an game server, then setting it up, and then how others might join in my game.

I AM{skullface}

metrosexual
Oct 24, 2000
Boston, Mass
www.skullface.com
You're gonna have a tough time using your computer as a server if you're running it off a 56k modem. I'd say at best you'll be able to have yourself and one other play off it...forget trying to get 3 or more people on there.

Otherwise, you simply click on your start menu, hit RUN, type in winipcfg this will give you your IP address. Then, go to Multiplayer/Start New Multiplayer and select whatever mode of play you want and you're good to go.

Once you hit start, your buddies simply need to click on Multiplayer/Open location and type in your IP address you looked up when you ran winipcfg.

Good luck!

-I_AM

Gamma_Sword

Feb 12, 2001
Not There
One last question... in Winipcfg, I can ignore DNS server stuff, right? Only IP address counts... right?

And of course, since I only have 56K modem, I don't have any sort of plan that involves more than 2 people. I only plan to do one-on-one matches against my friend.

Wouldn't it be sad if I tried to host a game with 64+ people on my 56k modem? :)

Gamma_Sword

Feb 12, 2001
Not There
I have a question.

When I played it, I had around 300 ping and it seemed okay until I encounter my foe then the ping skyrockets. Why does that happen and what can I do to prevent that? If I can't do anything about that ping, what strategy should I use?

I am pretty good at this and my friend suck at this, but bad ping helped him to 0wn me!

So... help me.

JJaX

Sup Big Perm, I mean Worm
Mar 23, 2001
NJ
www.thedirtydozenclan.com
Yeah i did that Sh1T..I looked up my IP address and had my friend connect to me. I was using 56K and he was on cable. But his ping was still like 2000 and he couldnt really play. And remember, Run Winipcfg everytime you connect to your ISP because your IP address is never the same, unless your always connected like cable.

ASMDstick

Mar 22, 2001
Visit site
try direct dail up server or whatever it's name, so ur mate can dail ur phone number from his pc. have a look in windows accessories/communications dailup server, if u haven't got, install it from windows CD.
this way ur friend won't be getting much lag

I AM{skullface}

metrosexual
Oct 24, 2000
Boston, Mass
www.skullface.com
Well, you might be having ping issues when people play you simply because your bandwith isn't large enough. 56k really never connects at 56k, the highest it connects at is 48k, which you probably aren't even getting. Also, we've no idea what ISP you use, depending on the ISP you could have even more ping issues.

Personally, if I were you, I'd give up on trying to host a game when you have a 56k connection. Jjax, if your friend has cable, then he should serve instead.

I wish you both good luck serving...but I'd wait till ya get a faster connection! :)

-I_AM

Speed_freak999

"The Bizkit's limp when the night is over...&
Apr 29, 2001
Who knows...
Visit site
Exactly how do you get it to work once you conect through the Dial-up server? I connect, then I set up a server, but my friend can't see any servers in the list....HELP!!!

eagleAR

Nov 25, 2000
for modem to modem play using dialup server u have to consider this,
every pc have default ip 127.0.0.1 so one of the gamer must change its ip (say 127.0.0.2) this can be changed by tcp/ip properties in network settings.
then other player can connect to the server & by using open location: 127.0.0.2:7777 the game starts