What Engine is Unreal Warefare gona use???

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lengis

Jul 1, 2000
Visit site
In the PCGamer mag, it says it's gona use the "latest iteration of the UT code"

Does that mean it's gona use the UT engine? (the beefed up unreal engine)

I'm assuming the game is being released after Unreal 2, so wouldn't it make more sense for the game to use the Unreal 2 engine??? Or maybe a completely new engine since Epic is makeing it and not Legend??

Serpico_TC|PuF

Feb 20, 2000
Portsmouth
Visit site
I may be wrong on this (not really my kinda area), but I believe that all the games are/have used the 'unreal' engine.

Epic are just enhancing the unreal engine as they go rather than starting from scratch and making an 'Unreal2' engine or an 'unreal warfare' engine.

So following that, unreal2 will use the latest version of the unreal engine and no doubt unreal warfare will use the next updated version. All be it in a different vein (multiplayer/single player).

The next iteration of the UT engine is just the latest unreal engine with a multiplayer slant. It will have all the goodness of unreal2 in it plus extra no doubt.

Evolution rather than revolution you might say.

I hope Im not wrong on that :D

-Serpico

Deathwing

Raucous Rodentia
Mar 15, 2000
Canada
The latest iteration is the Unreal 2 engine. Unreal Warfare will probably use pretty much the same code, but there will probably be a small graphics improvement, much like the difference between Unreal and UT.

Lengis

Jul 1, 2000
Visit site
Originally posted by Kef
I may be wrong on this (not really my kinda area), but I believe that all the games are/have used the 'unreal' engine.

Epic are just enhancing the unreal engine as they go rather than starting from scratch and making an 'Unreal2' engine or an 'unreal warfare' engine.

So following that, unreal2 will use the latest version of the unreal engine and no doubt unreal warfare will use the next updated version. All be it in a different vein (multiplayer/single player).

The next iteration of the UT engine is just the latest unreal engine with a multiplayer slant. It will have all the goodness of unreal2 in it plus extra no doubt.

Evolution rather than revolution you might say.

I hope Im not wrong on that :D

-Serpico

And where did you read that Unreal 2 is simply going to use the Unreal engine? I have read no where that this was true.

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
Ther is no UT or U2 engine..they use different enchanced versions of the same engine.

UT uses the Unreal engine too...but just check out the version numbers. While UT uses the 4xx Engine Build No., the new engine versions are 6xx...that's where you can see those nice terrains and high polycounts :D

Lengis

Jul 1, 2000
Visit site
Originally posted by ChrisToth.hu
Ther is no UT or U2 engine..they use different enchanced versions of the same engine.

UT uses the Unreal engine too...but just check out the version numbers. While UT uses the 4xx Engine Build No., the new engine versions are 6xx...that's where you can see those nice terrains and high polycounts :D

I know that UT uses the Unreal Engine, that was stated. But Epic, nor Legend ever stated that Unreal 2 was using the Unreal Engine. Until they do, I don't think people should just assume that to be true.

airddragon

Novice
Sep 8, 2000
do you have any sense of how absolutely STUPID it would be to go and rewrite unreals engine? I mean we are talking literally hundreds of thousands of hours worth of work..poof .... gone. Of course unreal 2 is the unreal engine. It make so much sense take out the parts of the engine that you want to fixe update and put a new build number and viola. I mean comeon though execs may at times be pretty darn stupid do you think that even for one minute U2 would come out in like 10 years if they wrote a WHOLE new engine... i mean thy'd have to recaliber the physics rewrite billions of line of code... make all completely new textures... it would cost more than its worth and no buisness is gonna reinvent the wheel as to say. Like my buisness prof says "if the work is 50% done when you get it from the last guy are you gonna go an redo it all? I think not you may check for errors maybe even enhance it a bit but unless its a complete piece of !@#$, you are gonna keep that work around."

to think they are writting a whole new engine is maddness. Use your brain on this one guys.

Serpico_TC|PuF

Feb 20, 2000
Portsmouth
Visit site
I doubt legend have their own in house FPS engine which is better than the unreal engine :)

And I doubt they could make on in under a year :)

So I think its pretty safe to assume its just the unreal engine.

But who knows...may be we will see a Quake 3 powered Unreal2 :D

-Serpico

Deathwing

Raucous Rodentia
Mar 15, 2000
Canada
Actually, Legend did say U2 was using a heavily modified version of the Unreal engine. Read some previews and you'll see that.

quitgrin1

Demon Like
Jul 31, 2000
Nowhere
www.geocities.com
I dont mind talking shiit, so here it goes:

If Unreal Warfare came out with the same ol´UT engine, I would freak out man... I mean Epic HAS TO make lots of improvements over the orignal engine... but, lucky me (or better said, "us") Epic is already greatly improving the engine to pretty high standards... That´s good.

Have you guys seen the in-editor screens of UnrealWarfare??? Now that´s good-looking terrain..... AHHH!!! :D

GRINGOLOCO

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I've read this u2 preview article in a magazine, back in december. I remember some epic guys answering the following question:

is there going to be an unreal 2 engine?

The epic guys gave the following answer:
there isn't an unreal 2 engine, nor an ut engine.
Unreal 2 will use the heavily modified unreal engine, cause the unreal engine is still expanding and getting better. :) (from what i understand, this baby has potential).
So unreal warfare will probably also use the heavily modified... unreal engine..

Just .. take quake2 and quake3.. well, it's not excatly the same thing right? no it's not! :)
unreal and ut however, are very alike. right?

and yes i know legend is developping u2, but epic is watching them :)

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
People have to realize that the Unreal Engine is very flexible. To say U2 or UW will use the Unreal Engine is putting it lightly. Mainly because, the "Unreal" Engine was made for Unreal.

Although the past, present and future games will use the core Unreal Technology, it's not THE Unreal Engine.... Yes, it's a play on words, but it really does make sense if you think about it.

So, you can safely say it's a heavily modified version of the Unreal Engine (Technology will be the more appropriate word). But it's not the "Unreal" Engine (saying it is based on 80% of the first Unreal game's engine).

If I remember correctly, Tim said the Unreal Engine is like an engine to a car. Although the block (the housing for cylinders) is the same, the other components (the type of cylinders, valves, fuel injections...etc...) are different and can cause the whole engine to be regarded as new techology.

Other game companies will actually create a new engine and called it XXXX2 Engine. They may not have anything to do with XXXX1's engine, other than the name and some components.

So, to put this simply, XXXX2 is a new engine core that uses some minor codes from the old engine. Unreal Technology uses the old core, but adds new code to the engine. But, Tim had great foresight when he created this engine, so that adding new code or enhancements could actually change the core (versus other engines where the enhancements won't do crap to the core).

Not to take away the greatness of other engines, but the Unreal Technology is very flexible and advanced. Yes, there are new engines that are better. But it's the longevity of the engine that makes money. Developers feel more comfortable with engines they worked on before than learning a whole new technology. That is why the Unreal Technology is one of the top selling engines.

If you think about it, you can use this engine to create RTS, FPS, Sports, Driving, RPGs and Sim games. Pretty flexible. I would love to see a UT mod or total conversion Basketball, Football or Baseball game:).

Lengis

Jul 1, 2000
Visit site
Honestly I rather see an entirely new engine. The added development time would be worth it. Also I really doubt they can keep pushing the unreal engine to no limits.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Originally posted by Lengis
Honestly I rather see an entirely new engine. The added development time would be worth it. Also I really doubt they can keep pushing the unreal engine to no limits.

You're really short-selling the Unreal Technology here. It's a highly modular engine that handles heavy modification extremely well.

Yeah, there will be a point where greater changes need to be made, but the fact is that the UW incarnation of the UnrealTechnology can push any current computer/card to it's limits.

All of the latest features that are available on the GeForce3 are capable of being used. Why throw out a perfectly good engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.