PDA

View Full Version : What Engine is Unreal Warefare gona use???

Lengis
29th Apr 2001, 11:20 AM
In the PCGamer mag, it says it's gona use the "latest iteration of the UT code"

Does that mean it's gona use the UT engine? (the beefed up unreal engine)

I'm assuming the game is being released after Unreal 2, so wouldn't it make more sense for the game to use the Unreal 2 engine??? Or maybe a completely new engine since Epic is makeing it and not Legend??

Kef
29th Apr 2001, 12:04 PM
I may be wrong on this (not really my kinda area), but I believe that all the games are/have used the 'unreal' engine.

Epic are just enhancing the unreal engine as they go rather than starting from scratch and making an 'Unreal2' engine or an 'unreal warfare' engine.

So following that, unreal2 will use the latest version of the unreal engine and no doubt unreal warfare will use the next updated version. All be it in a different vein (multiplayer/single player).

The next iteration of the UT engine is just the latest unreal engine with a multiplayer slant. It will have all the goodness of unreal2 in it plus extra no doubt.

Evolution rather than revolution you might say.

I hope Im not wrong on that :D

-Serpico

Deathwing
29th Apr 2001, 01:37 PM
The latest iteration is the Unreal 2 engine. Unreal Warfare will probably use pretty much the same code, but there will probably be a small graphics improvement, much like the difference between Unreal and UT.

Lengis
29th Apr 2001, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Kef
I may be wrong on this (not really my kinda area), but I believe that all the games are/have used the 'unreal' engine.

Epic are just enhancing the unreal engine as they go rather than starting from scratch and making an 'Unreal2' engine or an 'unreal warfare' engine.

So following that, unreal2 will use the latest version of the unreal engine and no doubt unreal warfare will use the next updated version. All be it in a different vein (multiplayer/single player).

The next iteration of the UT engine is just the latest unreal engine with a multiplayer slant. It will have all the goodness of unreal2 in it plus extra no doubt.

Evolution rather than revolution you might say.

I hope Im not wrong on that :D

-Serpico

And where did you read that Unreal 2 is simply going to use the Unreal engine? I have read no where that this was true.

ChrisToth.hu
29th Apr 2001, 05:36 PM
Ther is no UT or U2 engine..they use different enchanced versions of the same engine.

UT uses the Unreal engine too...but just check out the version numbers. While UT uses the 4xx Engine Build No., the new engine versions are 6xx...that's where you can see those nice terrains and high polycounts :D

Lengis
29th Apr 2001, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by ChrisToth.hu
Ther is no UT or U2 engine..they use different enchanced versions of the same engine.

UT uses the Unreal engine too...but just check out the version numbers. While UT uses the 4xx Engine Build No., the new engine versions are 6xx...that's where you can see those nice terrains and high polycounts :D

I know that UT uses the Unreal Engine, that was stated. But Epic, nor Legend ever stated that Unreal 2 was using the Unreal Engine. Until they do, I don't think people should just assume that to be true.

airddragon
30th Apr 2001, 11:06 AM
do you have any sense of how absolutely STUPID it would be to go and rewrite unreals engine? I mean we are talking literally hundreds of thousands of hours worth of work..poof .... gone. Of course unreal 2 is the unreal engine. It make so much sense take out the parts of the engine that you want to fixe update and put a new build number and viola. I mean comeon though execs may at times be pretty darn stupid do you think that even for one minute U2 would come out in like 10 years if they wrote a WHOLE new engine... i mean thy'd have to recaliber the physics rewrite billions of line of code... make all completely new textures... it would cost more than its worth and no buisness is gonna reinvent the wheel as to say. Like my buisness prof says "if the work is 50% done when you get it from the last guy are you gonna go an redo it all? I think not you may check for errors maybe even enhance it a bit but unless its a complete piece of !@#$, you are gonna keep that work around."

to think they are writting a whole new engine is maddness. Use your brain on this one guys.

Kef
30th Apr 2001, 11:25 AM
I doubt legend have their own in house FPS engine which is better than the unreal engine :)

And I doubt they could make on in under a year :)

So I think its pretty safe to assume its just the unreal engine.

But who knows...may be we will see a Quake 3 powered Unreal2 :D

-Serpico

ChrisToth.hu
30th Apr 2001, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Kef
But who knows...may be we will see a Quake 3 powered Unreal2 :D

:D :D :D :D :D
Sacrilege!

Deathwing
30th Apr 2001, 02:26 PM
Actually, Legend did say U2 was using a heavily modified version of the Unreal engine. Read some previews and you'll see that.

Lengis
30th Apr 2001, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Deathwing
Actually, Legend did say U2 was using a heavily modified version of the Unreal engine. Read some previews and you'll see that.

Post the link then.

ChrisToth.hu
30th Apr 2001, 06:16 PM
http://www.dailyradar.com/features/game_feature_page_2466_1.html

Here ya go wise-guy...this IS official press release. But you shouldn't care...just carry on with this argument against us. (Hey did you notice that all of us stated the same? Never mind...only a coincidence. A couple of huge Unreal 2 fans and a Level Designer who happens to be a tech person but...just carry on...)
:D

quitgrin1
30th Apr 2001, 11:30 PM
I dont mind talking shiit, so here it goes:

If Unreal Warfare came out with the same olīUT engine, I would freak out man... I mean Epic HAS TO make lots of improvements over the orignal engine... but, lucky me (or better said, "us") Epic is already greatly improving the engine to pretty high standards... Thatīs good.

Have you guys seen the in-editor screens of UnrealWarfare??? Now thatīs good-looking terrain..... AHHH!!! :D

GRINGOLOCO

NeoNite
1st May 2001, 01:43 PM
I've read this u2 preview article in a magazine, back in december. I remember some epic guys answering the following question:

is there going to be an unreal 2 engine?

The epic guys gave the following answer:
there isn't an unreal 2 engine, nor an ut engine.
Unreal 2 will use the heavily modified unreal engine, cause the unreal engine is still expanding and getting better. :) (from what i understand, this baby has potential).
So unreal warfare will probably also use the heavily modified... unreal engine..

Just .. take quake2 and quake3.. well, it's not excatly the same thing right? no it's not! :)
unreal and ut however, are very alike. right?

and yes i know legend is developping u2, but epic is watching them :)

Prophetus
3rd May 2001, 07:02 AM
People have to realize that the Unreal Engine is very flexible. To say U2 or UW will use the Unreal Engine is putting it lightly. Mainly because, the "Unreal" Engine was made for Unreal.

Although the past, present and future games will use the core Unreal Technology, it's not THE Unreal Engine.... Yes, it's a play on words, but it really does make sense if you think about it.

So, you can safely say it's a heavily modified version of the Unreal Engine (Technology will be the more appropriate word). But it's not the "Unreal" Engine (saying it is based on 80% of the first Unreal game's engine).

If I remember correctly, Tim said the Unreal Engine is like an engine to a car. Although the block (the housing for cylinders) is the same, the other components (the type of cylinders, valves, fuel injections...etc...) are different and can cause the whole engine to be regarded as new techology.

Other game companies will actually create a new engine and called it XXXX2 Engine. They may not have anything to do with XXXX1's engine, other than the name and some components.

So, to put this simply, XXXX2 is a new engine core that uses some minor codes from the old engine. Unreal Technology uses the old core, but adds new code to the engine. But, Tim had great foresight when he created this engine, so that adding new code or enhancements could actually change the core (versus other engines where the enhancements won't do crap to the core).

Not to take away the greatness of other engines, but the Unreal Technology is very flexible and advanced. Yes, there are new engines that are better. But it's the longevity of the engine that makes money. Developers feel more comfortable with engines they worked on before than learning a whole new technology. That is why the Unreal Technology is one of the top selling engines.

If you think about it, you can use this engine to create RTS, FPS, Sports, Driving, RPGs and Sim games. Pretty flexible. I would love to see a UT mod or total conversion Basketball, Football or Baseball game:).

B
3rd May 2001, 10:48 AM
Wow, good info Prophetus][PuF][ thanks :)

(do u personally know the U2 / Warfare teams? )

Lengis
3rd May 2001, 05:07 PM
Honestly I rather see an entirely new engine. The added development time would be worth it. Also I really doubt they can keep pushing the unreal engine to no limits.

ASMDstick
3rd May 2001, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by ChrisToth.hu
http://www.dailyradar.com/features/game_feature_page_2466_1.html

So i read it , u get to be a copper , hmmm... a copper?
They r pigs, u get to play a pig. Multyplayer - many pigs, scary..

Prophetus
3rd May 2001, 08:57 PM
Zd_MEELOBEE...lol...I wish. But no, I don't know them personally. I just read some stuff Tim and Team were saying about the Unreal Technology.

hal
4th May 2001, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Lengis
Honestly I rather see an entirely new engine. The added development time would be worth it. Also I really doubt they can keep pushing the unreal engine to no limits.

You're really short-selling the Unreal Technology here. It's a highly modular engine that handles heavy modification extremely well.

Yeah, there will be a point where greater changes need to be made, but the fact is that the UW incarnation of the UnrealTechnology can push any current computer/card to it's limits.

All of the latest features that are available on the GeForce3 are capable of being used. Why throw out a perfectly good engine?

WiLD2
8th May 2001, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by hal

You're really short-selling the Unreal Technology here. It's a highly modular engine that handles heavy modification extremely well.

Yeah, there will be a point where greater changes need to be made, but the fact is that the UW incarnation of the UnrealTechnology can push any current computer/card to it's limits.

All of the latest features that are available on the GeForce3 are capable of being used. Why throw out a perfectly good engine?
Agreed, hal. That is the longevity of the "Unreal Engine".
Being that the engine was made for Unreal, then modified (as in all the new multi-player code) into the 4xx engine to create a suitable Tech for Unreal Tournament. The bots were tweaked more (undoubtedly, as they only got better).
UW, in it's early construction stages (right?), is using the current 633 build of the Unreal Tech. No doubt that when the next version of the Engine comes out they will continue making the game on build 644 and so on (if that's how they are numbering it now).
I can't imagine why anyone would have a problem with modifying a popular, stable engine. Unreal Tech was modeled for the maximum use of Glide, with little care for OpenGL. Now that OpenGL is the best thing on the market they have modified the engine to take advantage of everything Directx8 in conjunction with OpenGL can offer! That is just an example of the flexibilty this great engine has to offer. I can imagine that 5 years down the road Epic is still licensing the latest build of their very successful engine.

Slick_Willy
10th May 2001, 03:56 PM
Why is it so hard for people to grasp the concept of modifying something that already exists to make it better? Everything is still considered the Unreal engine but it is easier to say UT engine or UW engine then saying Unreal Engine Version 436 or Unreal Engine Version 697.

Windows 95, 98, Millenium are still windows aren't they? Isn't that easier than saying: Windows Version 4.XXXXX for each one. At least if you say Unreal WarFare Engine people will know right off the bat what you are talking about. Now if I came up to you and said that my game using the Unreal Engine Version 633 would you know what I was talking about?

WiLD2
10th May 2001, 04:28 PM
Yes, I would know what you are talking about. Think of it this way, when the first "Unreal Warfare" engine comes out, it is ok to call it "The Unreal Warfare" engine. But when the next version of the Unreal Warfare engine comes out would you like to call it Unreal Warfare v699? It would be easier to call it the Unreal Engine 699 or something like that.

Slick_Willy
11th May 2001, 01:02 AM
you would still call it the UW engine of course. The unreal Engine (Version 0 - <4) is very different from the UT engine (Versions 4 - <6) and the UW engine is very different from the UT engine but they are all still based on the same thing. I'm sure must of the code has been rewritten when you compare the UW engine to the first Unreal1 engine but the concepts are still there. They just work much better now.

Snoop Dogg
11th May 2001, 04:58 AM
I am thinking Unreal Warfare will have a Tweaked out Unreal II engine if not TOTALLY NEW ENGINE even better since it is coming out more then a year later then Unreal II.

Pabu
11th May 2001, 05:24 AM
This is a straight rip from the April 2001 issue of PC Gamer. Page 18 in the blue box, middle of the page.

While Legend busies itself with Unreal II, Epic is working on its follow-up to UT, named Unreal Warfare. While they wouldn't reveal any information about it (and even covered up preliminary concept drawings so that the evil prying eyes of the journalist couldn't even guess at the wonders that were pinned on the walls), they did say that it'll feature the latest iteration of the UT code, with huge improvements to the character detail and animations (including facial movements, eyes blinking, and phenomenally detailed, motion-captured movements).

It's not likely to see release until late in 2002.

Interpret that however you like, but I think Slick_Willy said it best:

Why is it so hard for people to grasp the concept of modifying something that already exists to make it better? Everything is still considered the Unreal engine but it is easier to say UT engine or UW engine then saying Unreal Engine Version 436 or Unreal Engine Version 697.

Although that does leave me with one question. What would you call the engine that Deus Ex and Undying use? The Unreal engine or the Deus Ex/Undying engine to make it easier to understand. ;)

Slick_Willy
11th May 2001, 10:04 AM
probably just call it a modified unreal engine like licencees have done in the past. They really don't change the engine. The engine Core that does all the work really doesn't get touched. Only thing a licencee will do is modify scripts or create new C++ code for actors and stuff like that but the engine itself is still the basically the same. Then engine itself controls things like: All your graphics and world architecture, BSP, Rendering, lighting, physics, AI, Zoning, Script Compilers, etc. Just all the basic stuff that makes the game itself work. Everything else like Gameplay and type, Actors, weapons, decorations, effects, etc are not really the engine itself and are specific to whoever is developing the game.

Tetris L
11th May 2001, 06:31 PM
Unreal Warfare will use the "Warfare" version of the Unreal Engine, just like Unreal 2. :p :D

As Mark Rein has explained in this (http://www.fgnonline.com/pc/news/17176.html) interview:

FGN Online: Do you continually evolve the engine's technology and what is the Warfare engine?

Mark Rein: Yes, the Unreal Engine is a constantly evolving product. The technology you're seeing in this build of the engine is the basis of what will power future Epic games including Unreal 2 (being developed by Legend Entertainment), an unannounced Xbox title and then eventually a game codenamed Unreal Warfare way down the road.

This is why you'll occasionally hear us or licensees refer to the 'Warfare' version just as we referred to the 'Tournament' version of the engine to represent the feature set of the engine built between the releases of Unreal and Unreal Tournament. The name of the engine is still the Unreal Engine but internally we'll refer to Warfare build xxx where xxx is the latest actual version number.

Pabu
12th May 2001, 04:18 AM
Has anyone seen the movie clip and screenshots for Maelstrom? They say its using the "Unreal Warfare" engine.

Screenshots: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/storypics.cfm?sid=2652
Movie: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/media.cfm?mid=321

Looks really cool. I suggest everyone check it out. The movie is 21mb.

Darkmace
12th May 2001, 11:56 AM
So when is Unreal Warfare schedueled for release? I've just seen some random guesses for the U2 release.... Will Unreal Warfare come before U2 or after?

WiLD2
12th May 2001, 12:02 PM
Unreal 2 Q1 of 2002.
Unreal Warfare Q3-Q4 of 2002 isn't it?
It would be great to see both Unreal games come out the same year, but to spread out the sales of both games, Epic may have a deal with LegendEnt that they won't release UW until some time in 2003.