PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Warfare

optic_freeze
28th Apr 2001, 02:56 PM
Isn't this supposed to be released around the time Unreal 2 is and is it still looking like a sequel to UT?

Kef
28th Apr 2001, 03:16 PM
I think U2 is start of the year and Uwarfare towards the end (2002 of course).

Yeah, Unreal Warfare should be UT with bells on.

Ive only seen a few references to it tho...anyone got any good links? (I know its still quite a way away)

-Serpico

ChrisToth.hu
28th Apr 2001, 03:35 PM
There isn't ANYthing officially released about UW yet...

Kef
29th Apr 2001, 10:31 AM
I wouldn't say there was nothing official released about the game.

Epic have confirmed they are working on Unreal Warfare :) and other industry related people have speculated on a last quater 2002 release date.

Granted, there's nothing official about the release date or the content tho :) But I think its fare to say it will be a multiplayer orrientated game like UT (otherwise it would be called Unreal 3 :), hence my comments above.

Personally, I cant wait.

-Serpico

hal
29th Apr 2001, 10:46 AM
I tend to think the way you do on this matter, Kef.

NeoNite
30th Apr 2001, 02:01 PM
I sure hope unreal warfare will have it's share of unreal weapons, otherwise i'm splitting :)

i dunno, the name warfare, it says .. all over: realistic weapons.. i don't know why i'm thinking that.. :) HELP!

Kef
2nd May 2001, 01:04 PM
To me unreal warfare sounds like UT but bigger and better.

UT was the small battle where as Unreal warfare will be, well the war.

Personally I doubt it will be realistic...games like team fortress 2 etc will deal with that side of things...my guess is it will be, well unreal.

Hmmm...So to re-cap, Serpico thinks Unreal warfare will be an unreal-war thing. Bow down to his all conquering knowledge and foresight! ;P

-Serpico

p.s Where's the Unreal Warfare forum then?? ;)

NeoNite
2nd May 2001, 03:10 PM
so the sp part of the game would feature something like this;

you command 30-50 bots. That's "team" or "small legion" 1.
You're up agains another big team. You'll fight on many different worlds. ANd on some occasions, you'll be commander of an army :) just imagine this.. commanding 500 bots, on this huge level.. CARNAGE!!!!!
(afcourse there would be vessels flying over the battlefield droping napalm bombs :)
It's all about dominating a piece of land, or an entire world...? or a big base etc...
just some freaky ideas i'd like to share with the crowd.. heh..

Old Fart
2nd May 2001, 03:41 PM
I'm no expert, but from what I've heard, UW *twitches with eager anticipation* will be like UT: TNG, on a truly MASSIVE scale:

Think death matches, TDM, et cetera on maps 3 times larger than the biggest one you know of for UT and bigger and serving as many as 30+ players AT THE SAME TIME. Imagine the chaos, heh heh. Obviously the environment, textures, models, et cetera will be kicked up with latest kick-butt-ness the Unreal engine can offer today (already leaps ahead of UT), but outdoor battles will be able to be fought over true landscapes, i.e. a hill with pine trees (which don't like photorealistic yet, but are more realistic-looking than best UT offers). From what I understand, the action will be able to pass smoothly indoors and then back out on the same big-arsed map, too (i.e. you can run from the hill to seek cover in a building, duke it out inside, then dodge fire as you run out a side door and down to a river).

Player models' movements are supposed to be motion-captured (using real people to map how they move, like many sports console titles these days) for U2, so you can probably bet that they'll have the same in UW. As a result, movements may look so much more realistic that it's startling at first. U2 players and bots will also have sets of facial expressions to switch back/forth from/to, as well (i.e. an opp bot may frown when they see you, a team bot may look puzzled, you can laugh if a newbie tries to take someone out at close range with the RL in multiplayer, et cetera). If you check out the Unreal tech demo (available from FilePlanet, last I looked), you'll get a sneak peak of some of this.

I've heard nothing I can recall about weapons, but I suspect there'll be at least 1-2 new ones. If I had to guess, I'd say UW is likely to borrow most weapons from U2 (which has new weapons, including a leech gun and flamethrower) the way UT takes many from Unreal, with a new one or two.

This is all based upon news before the Geforce 3 came out, too, so I wouldn't be surprised if some things're updated to blow away even the conception I've gotten and am presenting here. They've got time before the release to kick it up even further, I suspect.

My wish list for UW is for it to have truly deformable terrain (i.e. walls you can blow holes through) rather than just decals, but my only real complaint is that it's not out yet, heh heh.

NeoNite
2nd May 2001, 07:52 PM
I remember playing the venom demo..
huuuuuuuuuge outdoor levels .. :) i liked it.. but i didn't like the game :(

3 times as big as the biggest ut or unreal level that we know off??? :-) wow.. i can hardly wait!
There oughta be many many different environments..
anyone played the Citizen Kabuto demo? Where you play that little blue guy :) can't remember the name.
I really like that level, it's open, beautiful etc.. but it requires lotsa lotsa MEMORY and POWER :/ don't know if everyone'll be able to fully enjoy the game if the reqs would be too high?
Anyway, i'm eager to see what facial animation will be like ..

Old Fart
3rd May 2001, 11:29 AM
I have no idea what the reqs will be, nor the true size of the average map (though HUGE is the impression I've gathered). Could be a little bigger/smaller in some cases.

Re: the animated faces:

http://www.epicgames.com/UnrealEngineNews.html

Snoop Dogg
4th May 2001, 01:55 PM
Yeah I heard somewhere around Q4 2002 or Q1-2 2003. Just remeber on Unreal II DOT COM it says it will include several Multiplayer Options in the meantime that should satisfy you more then UT ever could.

ASMDstick
4th May 2001, 03:01 PM
i really dont wanna see HUGE outdoors in U2 multyplayer, T2 does that nicely. More detailed phisics in movements, weapons and reach textures i'm expecting

quitgrin1
5th May 2001, 10:24 AM
I just hope Unreal Warfare will kick Tribes 2 ass... or Doom 3īs. And HalfLife 2's....etc....etc.... that would be better, dont you think?

GringoLoco

WiLD2
8th May 2001, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by quitgrin1
I just hope Unreal Warfare will kick Tribes 2 ass... or Doom 3īs. And HalfLife 2's....etc....etc.... that would be better, dont you think?
No problem with that, seeing how those games will be at least a year old when Unreal Warfare comes out. Tribes 2 would be at least 2 by then... nah, I don't think Epic has anything to worry about where the competition is concerned.

Hellscrag
9th May 2001, 08:04 PM
U2, UW

There is plenty of drool on the horizon ;)

JuiceEggsMcKenna
9th May 2001, 09:42 PM
Infograms have officially announced Unreal Warfare. Its official release date is "to be determined"

Epic have not announced the name of the project they are currently working on.