prone firing and movement

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
When prone shouldn't the effects of recoil be reduced somewhat? It seems strange that the inf troopers gun is raised by the same amount when prone concidering the way he holds the gun.

Also I'd like to see a limitation on the turning ability when prone. IE you can only move say 35 degrees when prone without taking your eyes of the sights.
Within this distance you can move fairly fast, but when you move beyond this you turn slowly and you take your eyes of the sights.

Aug 12, 2000
Switzerland
I fully agree and would broaden the 'less recoil' suggestion to include the kneeling position too. Possibly something like:

Standing: 100% Recoil
Kneeling: 50% Recoil
Prone: 25% Recoil

(I believe this has come up before)

When turning beyond 35° I would make turning while sighting slower, not impossible. That is closer to real life, IMO. On your weak side you can turn almost 90° without shifting the rest of your body. It's the strong side (your weapon hand's side) that is very limited.

The problem is we don't have seperate movement for head and torso, so since the entire body is moving as you turn, you should be able to turn infinitely without disengaging from aiming.

But the recoil issue should be easy to implement and bring a huge gain in realism.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
uhm RL, do you really think that somebody under fire would fist look for a nice comfortable position to lie down, and thenslowly crouch to lie down? Nope he'd drop to the floor in about a second, IMO insta prone is fine but getting up should cost stamina and a couple (say 1.5-2) seconds

DarkBls

Inf Ex-admin
Mar 5, 2000
France
cost stamina and a couple (say 1.5-2) seconds

Cost stamina, I don't think. It should cost stamina when you stand up after.

1.5-2 Seconds ? You can throw yourself on the ground quicker than that !

About lying prone. I though about the AKMSU and the drum magazine...
This kind of magazine is cumbersopme, isn't it ? It don't really know the heigh of the weapon+magazine. But if the drum if too tall, it should be impossible to fire right in front of you. You see ?

Dr.Dase

Feb 26, 2001
I haven't actually seen one of these drums in RL, but i'd imagine that the drums take less or similar vertical space as the standard magazines, they are very long you know......

HanD_of_DarKNesS

Evil Bastard
May 23, 2000
Ottawa, ON (Canada)
I seem to remember a post on the old forums regarding the recoil on weapons used in prone.

It seems that without an ACTUAL bipod or tripod, an automatic weapon fired while prone will actually bounce more, due to the fact it's actually jumping off the ground.

MoNDoGuY

Groin grabbingly good!
Apr 5, 2001
CANADA!!!!!
ghost.clanpages.com
Originally posted by HanD_of_DarKNesS
I seem to remember a post on the old forums regarding the recoil on weapons used in prone.

It seems that without an ACTUAL bipod or tripod, an automatic weapon fired while prone will actually bounce more, due to the fact it's actually jumping off the ground.

Very good point, but I don't think the drum is that big anyways. And think of this when your aiming at someone you don't usually aim at the toes, so it would be that much of a handicap.

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
Fur we have the abiity to throw yourself down, using double tap forward. But the ability to slowly go prone, by using a key or double tapping reverse still lets you go down instantly. Thats not the way things work... I've seen people dodge my bullets by instantly going prone.

Aug 12, 2000
Switzerland
I can remember the thread, but not it's essence really... A weapon resting on something - anything - will always 'bounce' less than a weapon held freely. Tripods are good, but there's not that much of a difference between a tripod and, say a log., a rock or your arm. Since we have angled terrain in Inf and can't look for a little dip where we could rest our weapon on something while we fire, having recoil significantly reduced while prone as if we could seems realistic, no? Certainly a lot more so than maintaining you would end up aiming at the sky if you don't correct your aim...

Resting it on the mag is usually a bad idea because the farther back from the muzzle you rest the weapon on something the less stable it will be, but those are details, really.

LCJr.

Apr 14, 2001
Visit site
The one major difference I see between a tripod and a log, rock, etc... is that your weapon is physically attached to a tripod and tripods aren't exactly featherlight. Never used one so dunno....

Aug 12, 2000
Switzerland
Erm, did I say tripod? I meant bipod, really... Tripods would indeed be rather heavy, but stability would be much higher than with a log. A bipod doesn't weigh much though, and stability would probably be closer to that of resting the weapon on a log - the only thing is you have to open it before you can use it...

If you rest your weapon on your forearm or hand it won't bounce as much as if you would rest it immmediately on the rock/log. Actually, when prone and in a decent position, recoil as in 'throws my aim off completely' is practically inexistent.

DredDamo

Nov 30, 2000
www.damodred.net
I second RogueLeader's motion to slow down proning. Both the prone key and the crouch key are instantaneous now (even you, Fur, mention that a soldier will get down there in a second when under fire - this is the difference between .8 of a second and instant); this needs to be corrected. And if you throw yourself on the ground so fast, wouldn't you get the breath knocked out of you and jiggle the barrel of your gun just a bit as well?

Whereas now you can run, run, see enemy, insta-prone, fire, all under 0.2 of a second, I would say. With perfect aim.

ARG. It's very annoying, especially when players accused of prone whoring say "It's a rusher's only defense". Arg. That's supposed to be an argument?

I also believe that an adjustment of recoil and waver when running/crouching/proning is already under development.

Finally, I second the idea of limited turning ability. It should also be slower altogether...well, no, 35 degrees freedom sounds about right. So same within that, much slower beyond that as it would reflect the need to actually shift your position - not an easy thing while lying down flat.

[L]-Damodred

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
dunno, we'd need to time proning IRL

*grabs stopwatch*
*kicks shakkan in the nuts*
:D

Yup, 'bout .5 seconds would be OK i Guess, also add a 1st person animation so they can't keep the gun aimed while diving for the floor.