A question for you all...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

wiseassbnty

Jack's smirking revenge
Dec 6, 2000
www.whatisthebinty.com
A co-worker here got one of those police scanner things, and it covers pretty much the entire specturm of phones, drive-thru headgear, cb radios, walkie-talkies, etc... She was telling me about all these cordless phone conversations she hears in her neighborhood, and she mentions that she hears people doing drug deals, people fighting about their relationships, phone sex, the whole nine yards. And I asked her something that I want to know what you guys would do.

If you were listening and happend to hear someone talking, weather it be on a cordless phone, radio, whatever about blowing something up, like a school, or killing someone, whatever....

Would you tell someone? The Police? Anyone? why/why not?

Also if you did possibly get information regarding this person, phone numbers, addresses, full names (first and last), etc...would you give that info?

And one more, if you did turn this person in, and possibly saved people from getting killed, could this person sue you for invasion of privacy for listening in on their phone calls/conversations etc. without any type of warrent or judges order?

I dunno what i'd do, I think I'd still tell the authorities, even if I didn't know all the info like names and whatnot, I mean it's not illegal to own a police scanner I assume since you can buy them at any electronics store (Radio Shack, Best Buy, etc..) and I suppose it's no different then if I walked by someone using a public phone and overheard them plotting something. Just wondering...she's been dwelling over this all day and so have alot of people at the office, we've had several heated discussions about why/why we wouldn't, I'm interested in what you'ld all do..

DarkBls

Inf Ex-admin
Mar 5, 2000
France
Funny... Because it happened to me :D

A friend of mine lend to me a scanner some years ago.
(Because now you cannot hear anything because of the digital nature of the signal)

I heard a man doing a commercial swindle. Because It was not a very important offence, I didn't report anything. (And it is illegal to own such thing. Because you are spying people)

wiseassbnty

Jack's smirking revenge
Dec 6, 2000
www.whatisthebinty.com
well Dark, why is it so illegal yet you can buy them freely at any electronics store. I know my grandpa used to have one and we'ld listen to the police bands and fire bands and hear where everything was happening. But now that they've got programmable scanners, different frequencies, etc...you can pick up anything. I found a list online of all the Chicagoland frequencies that are around and who uses what.

I mean this data is freely available to anyone who knows what they're looking for, and there are weather frequencies that you can pick up for forecasts, etc.. So I'm not sure I understand why they may be considered illegal if so many people use them for different things?

thewalkingman

ssssssssssss bugger!
Nov 12, 2000
Quahog
Visit site
It is illegal....

It is for your own personal use .It is up to your own discretion at what point do you tell authorities that a crime is being commited.Then ask yourself do you want to get involved.
I have personally listened in on police conversations (idiots not conversing on a secured channel let alone a land line) on suspected drug dealers.

If I had called said suspect(name was released in conversation Doh!) I could have been arrested.

DarkBls

Inf Ex-admin
Mar 5, 2000
France
Anyway know you cannot do it anymore.

All official discussion are digitaly encrypted.

/Me thiking of my next potentiel job:rolleyes:

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
well Dark, why is it so illegal yet you can buy them freely at any electronics store.
It's legal for you to buy a car, but not legal for you to go flying down the freeway at 120mph :)

If you where to report the illegal activity you hear to the police, they can't do anything about it. If they tried to the case would be thrown out of court because the evidence was illegaly obtained.

However if you can talk to some police officers "off the record" I'm sure they would be interested in hearing what's going on.

Now the fun (and profitable) thing to do is blackmail the folk he's listening to :D