Proof that Stupid People have not breed themselves to extinction...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1002,11%7E24990,00.html

Hmmm.... let me think here, video games are only violent and dangerous when middle-class kids start killing? Last time I checked the two minority groups with lower-than-average access to video games (blacks and hispanics) had the highest per captia murder rate in the U.S. Really makes you wonder about some people with too much money and not enough sense.

CoffeyCan

Real Maps Coordinator
I read about the lawfuit yesterday, but this was what a sickened me most:

Mark Manes, who bought a TEC-9 semi-automatic weapon used in the massacre, will pay $800,000 and Phillip Duran, who introduced the teenage gunmen to Manes, will pay $250,000.

Manes and Duran are serving prison terms for furnishing guns to the two.

The families also are in settlement talks with Robyn Anderson, who legally purchased at a gun show three of the four weapons used by Harris and Klebold.

Link:http://kztv.cbsnow.com/now/story/0,1597,253027-363,00.shtml

These are the primary parties that should be blamed. And why Anderson isnt in jail is beyond me.

HanD_of_DarKNesS

Evil Bastard
May 23, 2000
Ottawa, ON (Canada)
I can't recall any movies or TV shows which have ever had a successful lawsuit against them for violence and such, so I see no reason why this lawsuit will get anywhere.

Really though, how stupid are these people? I mean, I feel sympathy for the families of the victims of Columbine, however I see no basis for this lawsuit.

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
I feel sorry for them, they are angry parents...angry over a horrible loss.

Unfortinatly their attempts to lash out at the world are just as bad as Harris and Klebold, and just as senseless.

The problem is that there are plenty of people who will jump on the bandwagon to limit our rights "for the children", they don't understand that they put us a step closer to millions of Americans dying in concentration camps.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Of course it's only a problem when rich kids/important people are involved ...
At least : those people generally seem to have both the money and the know-how to abuse a legal system like this.

The Sanders' suit, filed hours before a two-year statute of limitations expired, claims that if not for violent games and other media images - in particular, a school massacre scene from the movie "The Basketball Diaries" - the rampage by Harris and Klebold wouldn't have happened.
Isn't that a coincidence : only hours before the limitations expire they manage to file a suit ?
They had two ff-ing years and they wait THAT long ??

When do these people wake up and realise that games are not for kids anymore ?
It sounds more like people who are too lazy to care about their kids and just want the easy way out.
IF anyone else besides the parents is to blame, then it's the school/government : they apparently did not have the necessary resources to notice that things were wrong with those kids ...

BTW : that movie is rated 'R'. Doesn't that mean that those kids shouldn't even have seen the thing ?
Or what is an R-rated movie in the USA ?
According to the link the killers were 15 - 16 at the time, the movie itself sounds like it would get rated 16+ here ...

Je mag protesteren,
maar alleen met de rug tegen de muur
want alleen als je geld hebt
is de vrijheid niet duur
'Over de Muur', by 'Het Klein Orkest'

// translation
- you may protest,
but only with your back against the wall
because only if you have money
freedom isn't expensive -

ChROmE13

Apr 22, 2001
cambridge, ontario CANADA
Visit site
yeah

It's kind of hard for me to be judgemental of those parents, becuase I cant imagine how angry and devastated they must have, been and are today. But I have to agree, they are being irrational and hastily looking for someone to blame, refusing to even consider that some of the responsibility was their own in that heinous crime. Having said that, I definately don't think that violent games should necessarily be played by minors. Obviously, there has to be some discretion on the part of parents. I played wolf3d, doom, all that ****, started when I was around 12. Im not a psycho, I dont want to kill people, but thats me. Some people are not as stable, or dont have a supportive family, or whatever. Violence and violent acts only feed these type of peoples fire until it blows. So who decides who can and can't handle this type of stuff? The government? The government gets to decide FOR ME? **** that. I get to decide, my parents get to decide.

The government and the general populous is so obsessed with making rules so that people never have to decide whats wrong and whats right, and therefor not have to take any responsibility. I think this is fundamentally wrong. I think violent media only contributes to a much larger issue, and that is the errosion of family, and the errosion of values.

My children will not play violent games, they will not watch television, they will not surf the internet unsupervised.

What do you guys think?

ChROmE

ArbSkynxnex

with co-conspirator, Kitty
Mar 11, 2001
It looks to me like they are suing the gaming companies for selling "violent games" to kids and to make some money. If they sue people for selling games they should sue Target, Wal-Mart, Toys R Us, Software Etc, Hastings, K-Mart, Bi-Mart, Funcoland, Electronics Boutique, Circuit City, The good guys, PCMall, MacMall, and any other store that sells games that I forgot to mention. You know why they won't sue those stores? They wouldn't have a place to shop at then. The video companies make the games, they don't sell them, hell they even have violence ratings on them so PARENTS can see if their kids should own them. Speaking of parents, lets sue them too for letting their kids buy games that they know are violent.

If your kid goes out and shoots his classmates because they can't tell the difference between a video game, where you go and gib monsters with sci-fi weapons and shooting a person and watching them die, you failed as a parent and should be held responsible along with your children, not the gaming companies for your failure as a parent. :mad: Parents need to take responsibility and start raising their kids or every massacre that we get at schools is well deserved.

P.S. Ironically this is meant for parents that don't care what their kids do, therefore will not ever see this post because they won't get involved with their kids.