INF radio issues

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
Feel free to post your opinions on the things that were adressed in inf radio here or to enter the debate on this weeks hot topics.

Their planned fix will be to increase the bulk values of the M203, the ACOG Scope, and the 40mm grenades themselves. This (along with the much improved bulk system in 2.86)

Well i can't say i'm happy with this. Yes i want the m203 to be tweaked, but i want it to be tweaked so it is MORE realistic, IE tweak it's performance to realistic proportions, increase arming range and decrease the lethal radius. rather then increasing the bulk.

On the Gary issue, I have to say i agree with his 6 points, especially the 1st point wich was about comparing Video games to the effects of drugs i believe. The users come to expect the same "fix" from the game whenever they play it.

People play CS because it is indeed addictive, but to some people it gets old, running to the same spots every round on de_dust, trying to finish every other map ASAP so you can get more of the speedy action of de_dust.
This is IMO also the reason why so many people are complaining about inf being too realistic, because it is no longer able to supply them with the same experience all the time. And this is exactly what I want.
Variety, not just the same thing over and over.
This is the reason why people don't want to relinquish their beloved frag system, it gives them the "fix" they are used to.

I for one would like to see a change in tis, rather then going for ratification trough personal scores i'd like to see a game which gives teamwork in itself as a reward, where working together to reach a goal is the final fix.
This means a much slower paced game where you can't just rely on one simple tactic to achieve success, but you have to continously pay attention and think on your feet in order to be successfull.

This has never been tried before, but it is being tried by for instance World War 2 on-line and Operation Flashpoint and i hope to be seeing inf list amongst these games in the future.

Gary issue number 2
Video games lowering IQ, well all i can say is play CS and you just KNOW he's right :D
Seriously though, generally people who play video games for reasons mentioned above are not using their time to increase their intellect, they are not learning anything, they just perform the same simple tasks over and over again. It works the same as "robotic" laber, it dumbens you down, takes away your imagination because you are not stimulated to think, just to act on instict. While this may be very relaxing to some it does not do your menthal capabilities any good.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
well as gary explained, if all you do is get home from school/work play video games, eat play more video games, sleep, go to school (repeat as nescessary) which i KNOW many people do. You are not gaining any new knowledge, you are basically sealed off from the outside world other then trough what you come into contact with at work/school.

You are not gaining any new knowledge. and as i've sai in my 1st post, depending on the game you might actually stand to lose some of your intelligence/fantasy.
Ofcourse it all depends on how much you play and also on what you play. But Gary is adressing the type of player that likes simple DM style action and in that case this rule applies. If i were to pick on video games i'd have chosen the same category simply because they are A) the largest category B)The best example of all that I am trying to prove.

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
where working together to reach a goal is the final fix.

Infiltration - The heroin of video game addiction

I would like to see how their proposed solution works in the grand scheme of things. If there are some true mobility limitations for having a high bulk, and choosing the M16/M203/Scope leads to a high bulk, this may have the intended effect.
As to the other fixes - My worry is that it already has the quoted 5m lethal radius. Consider that to be two and a half prone soldiers end to end, which I think is actually a little larger than what we see in the game. I would like to see the arming range include more variation, though. There shouldn't be a real use for the grenades in DM-INF-TexasBank. Grenades in hallways just seems wrong.

Kisen_K

S&M Airlines
May 12, 2000
Norway
rullings.com
In the fist interview with Gary, wasn't it only FPS games he talked about would lower your intelligence etc. ?

I don't have the interview anymore so I can't check it out...

CoffeyCan

Real Maps Coordinator
Many of you may not know this, but I didnt have the ability to play video games until I was in college. During the pre-college life (80's to 92) we didnt have any sort of game console, or computer to play video games. You know what I did? I watched TV and generally got into trouble. Now while the trouble part was somewhat social, it was still trouble. And watching TV to me, is potentially worse than playing any video game out there (unless its one of the learning style channels, and even some of that is questionable :)) both a large waste of time. However, asides from being a troublemaker, I did athletics and thankfully, began to read later in high school. The addiction argument goes for any hobby that takes over your life. In moderation they are fine, but become problematic if they take over. I encourage people to read and do other things besided sit in front of any screen (for many of you its what youll spend the next 40 years of your life doing :)) hang out with friends and all that.

Also BP forgot that he and I built a lasting, quality relationship from RealMaps. Without INF we never would have met and become good friends.

Finally, the good "Dr." does not have a Ph.D in any sort of mental heath (Psychology, Social Work, etc) nor a M.D. (Psychiatry) which generally makes it armchair psychology, on the same level as Dr. Laura (she has a Ph.D. is business, I think it is). To put it in perspective, I can go to my corner bar and experience the same level of training and opiniated advice from anyone in there.

-Eliminator-

There's no 'I' in Infiltration
May 15, 2000
United Kingdom
clans.morat.net
I agree that watching TV is a much worse a pastime than playing videogames because the TV doesn't require you to think in anyway so you are not excercising your mind. However if you are performing the same function hour after hour you will begin to think less and less about what you are doing because you do not require to think. This IS where videogames can become more like the TV.

Basically like CoffeyCan said, broaden the mind and give yourself new things to think about other than performing the same task many times over. And like he said, read because reading projects an image in your head in turn stimulating the mind.

Wikkan

Dickhead Fulfilled!
Feb 15, 2001
I think I'm going to play SoF, make myself more stupid, lose friends, but of course, make friends with an 11 year old girl from Whereverthehell. Maybe I'll take on drinking and gambling.

Dano3000

Apr 28, 2000
Hick part of Arizona
i KNOW as a fact that the tests they run for stupidity from video games are done with complete HARD HARD HARD HARD-CORE gamers who do nothing but play games. There ya have it, they have barely any friends anyways, so whats to test (based off of my shrink)

Mason

Self appointed voice of reason
Dec 14, 2000
Upstate NY
forums.unreal2.net
I have been reading some of the studies done to see if video games are detrimental to intelligence and/or increase aggression. I have come to a few conclusions, one of which I would like to share with you:

In none of the studies, or during Gary's 12 minute diatribe, does anyone bother to look at other 'pastimes' that increase aggression or conform to his 6 'steps of addiction'(or whatever it was). Watching TV is potentially more damaging because kids see 'real' acts of violence and stupidity(Jerry Springer or Ricky Lake, anyone?). Organized sports falls into the same category, aggression AND addiction, not to mention the Oh-so-lovely occurances of parent's living vicariously through the accomplishments of their children(and pushing just a 'tad' too much to excel).

Basically, you can take almost any hobby or pastime and turn it into an addiction. By the same token, is a child better off listening to his parent's fight constantly, or is he better off plugging into his computer and playing a game or 'chatting' with his 'cyber-friends'? If I can get all my thoughts on the subject down on paper soon enough, I will be sending in my own rebuttal to Gary's rather 'broad' application of his beliefs to thousands of 'gamers'.

Ooh, I have a cause to argue again..goody goody gumdrops! :D

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
Gary is funny

We need people like Gary, so we have someone to laugh at. I know I'm way smarter now then I was even two years ago. Back in highschool, I to was a trouble maker, and about ended up in jail. That slapped me straight. Then I joined the army and did nothing but drink and watch TV. Wow. Now, I gotz me a computer, and I make maps, which take what? Creativity. I may be getting outta shape, but at least I'm not getting stupid, nor am I running from the law. I'm not saying video games savied my life or anything. But when used moderately, they help keep you outta trouble, and keep you busy when it raining outside or too broke to go out.
Jaymian

PS where can I get that hamster remix? :)