Sommet des Amériques.....

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
bah! what a mess!

In 21 Years I've nerver seen so much action in my little city! (Quebec city, Canada for those who live on Mars....). It quite impressive to se fully equiped special forces team everywhere in the streets... And I even got to get upclose and personnal with something that looked a lot like an H&K 69... (from 50 meters away anyway...).

At least I learned one thing today... those experienced "trouble makers" have a damn good reason to were gass masks!

Anyway, I just what to say that this sux! My favorite bar (a little place lost in the middle of nowhere... almost a "speak easy") is in the middle of the stupid perimeter and I cant even go party there for the end of my school year (that finished today btw). And I'm not even talking about thoses helicopters flying over my house all night... I'm living 100 m away from the road that evey Prime-Minister took... Oh well no sleeping for me for a few days...

... which is a GOOD thing since school is finished for me until the 3rd of september :p

Ok I know... this is nothing compared to what is happening elsewhere in the world... but its quite unusual in our rather calm city...

The show must go on!

Last edited:

Wikkan

Dickhead Fulfilled!
Feb 15, 2001
I haven't been checking the news lately... Literally been in a hole the last few weeks. Whats going on?

TV cut off, computer time spent on games. :p

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
Well, it always the same sorry... a group of pacific protestor build up near where the event is taking place. To ensure the security of 34 american leaders, they built a wall around a part of the city (about a 3 x 2 km section) and everyone in that sector regrouped a the same spot, near one of the entrance.

Then, as usual, a small group started to attack the polices forces and try to cross the gates and to throw down the walls.

I really hate those suckers! The best analogy would be with the lame T.Killers! Only to create trouble.

BTW, its 2:37 now (the trouble started around 16:00)... and they are still there, trowing **** at policeman and trying to avoid tear gas... The city is going to look like **** on monday! grrrr

Wikkan

Dickhead Fulfilled!
Feb 15, 2001
Prince George has around 75,000. Worst we get are walk-out protests and picketers every month. So far nothing serious, except a guy sitting in the middle of the freeway with a gun. :p The local ERT busted his ass pretty good.

CoffeyCan

Real Maps Coordinator
Did you see them topple the barricades? Whoever thought that up should be ashamed, all it took was one guy closer to the top of the fence to get some leverage going along with the people just rocking it on the ground and it went right over, less than a minute...

Throw rocks at cops and you reap what you sow. My buddy was working in downtown Seattle when the first protest started, he called me later from his house and could see the flashbangs going off from his porch, what a hoot.

CC

HanD_of_DarKNesS

Evil Bastard
May 23, 2000
Ottawa, ON (Canada)
I live in Ottawa (the capital of Canada for those who don't know thei geography), and the minute I heard on the radio that there was stuff going on in QC, I turned on CBC Newsworld.

I can't believe the stupid protesters. I can understand that they have a belief that they want to voice, but they're blaming the cops for everything, when they should be clearly blaming the violent extremists who tore down the wall, requiring a police response.

I don't think the wall was a bad idea. It wasn't designed to be impenitrable, but to offer a buffer between protests and the police. Unfortunately, there weren't enough police on the other side of that part of the fance to deter the protesters.

I couldn't believe the amount of riot police there were there by the end. There was a line about 2-3 deep and 100 across going right across the street. They kept their cool very well too, though hundreds of teargas grenades help with that.

People are saying that erecting the fence is an infringement on their democratic rights, and that it was the erection of the fence which was a provocation of violence. I don't understand these people's reasoning, as there were no such fences at the other summits (including Seattle in 1999), and there was still violence.

Well, today's the BIG day, as HUGE rallies are planned. Keep your eye on the news channels.

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
Not enough violence to stop the corperations from eliminating the local economies and creating business dependent communities full of wage slaves, it would appear. Ameteurs...what kind of idiot tries to fight men with guns and tear gas with a rock...

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
Yep, I have seen the fence go down... I really think that those protestors are so stupid... they managed to eliminate all their credibility even before the summit started!

Around two this morning, I got to speak with some policemans near where most of the action took place... one of them has quite a few bruises because he had the "chance" to be at one extremity of the police line. They didn't trow small rocks or objects at him... but rather bricks, beer bottles ans even a pottato with nails and rasor blades in it! can you believe that... and those protestor say that replaying with tear gas and plastic bullets is violent and reprehensible! Live round would have done a cleaner job I think...

The worst is that those guys are clearly here not to protest against the american free trade agreament, but simply here to challange authorities. I'm quite happy to see that the "official" march took another route, at the base of the city.

Just a little geographical note here. Quebec City is built on a hill that is delimited on one side by the St-Laurence river valley and on the other side by a flat valley (about 20 km wide). A few thousand years this was probably a large island.

On the top of the city, you can find the original walls built around 1820 during the war with the United States. Just outside those wall, you find most of the goverment building (Quebec City is the Capital of the Province of Quebec) and the Congress Center that host the Summit. For security reasons, the fence incorporates all the buildings and hotels where the american delegations are staying. The acces to those sectors are quite easy to control since the city as been built in that idea. the only way to go to the perimiter is by the main streets comming from the other side of the hill. From the other sides of the town, the natural cliffs and original fortifications seem to be doing their job pretty well. Only a few road are present and they are quite easy to control (most of them have been blocked by the fence).

Quebec is, I think, a good choise for this event because the city architechture and geography realy helps the police forces to control the thousands of protestors. A lot of action is going on anyway. At some point, 10 tear gas bombs a minute where trown... Thats fuuny... from my place I can see a large white cloud above the city :eek: