Athlon, So what Mobo do I need?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Ok Im gonna buy me a new rig, I want to have a Athlon 1.2Ghz, but I have no experience with Athlons whatsoever. What is a good Mobo to go with the Athlon ( I really like it to be an Asus, which i also have now for my P2) and also what memory do I need? can I use my PC100 SDRAM? And all other tips on what to lookout for etc are more than welcome.
and what is a good Hdd? (+-30-40Gb)

tnx:)

CHRYSt

You can't help that. We're all mad here.
Jan 14, 2000
www.crawlspaceradio.com
Depends.

Do you want DDR or SDR?

If you want SDR, how much do you want to overclock?

SDR, I'd go with the MSI K7T-Pro2. It's incredibly stable, and pretty overclockable.
If you're a big overclocker, then buy the asus. I forget which one. It's not quite as solid ad the MSI, but it has more overclocking features.

DDR, get the Asus A7V.

CHRYSt

You can't help that. We're all mad here.
Jan 14, 2000
www.crawlspaceradio.com
DDR is actually only slightly more these days...we're talking a $10-15 difference.

But with SDR, get the MSI.

The asus you want is the A7V133.

I was wrong. The DDR one is the Asus A7A266

BunnYPandA

Evolutionary Masterpiece
Jan 22, 2001
j00 k4y
www.tournament.com
the Abit KT7A is the best current mobo for OCing - its the most stable for overclocking athlon CPUs and is fairly and cheap (less than the asus and better performers) . if you have a bit more money to burn the overclockers dream is the I-Will K266-R - if you couple this with a 1 Ghz Athlon AXIA chip (and a heavy heatsink and fan) it will hit 1.6 Ghz :)

also check out - http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?threadid=3387 if you need convincing about benchmarks

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Well i looked at Mycom's site and this is what i came up with (see attachment)

Is this a good CPU/Mobo combo and what memory do I need?

btw. Im not really into OC-ing, I figure since its a 1200Mhz CPU why overclock it, its fast enough man I mean it will be such a difference with my current setup....

MaX Power

Officially Old.
Oct 2, 2000
Visit site
Either get the abit kt7 or the asus a7v. You can't go wrong either way. They are both great for overclocking, and are very stable high performers.

If you like raid support go with the abit.

BunnYPandA

Evolutionary Masterpiece
Jan 22, 2001
j00 k4y
www.tournament.com
raid basically gives better support if you want 2 hard drives ... its worth the extra £15 or so just in case you may want super fast dual hard drive support in the future

Kokensu

Fire in Ma Belly!
Jan 4, 2000
Shut yo mouth!
Visit site
RAID - Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks.

It's basically multiple hard drives running as ONE drive. There's different configurations. Sometimes you simply mirror the drives so that one drive is an exact copy of the other and if the first one crashes your data is saved on the other. This is more for large business use. For home use Raid-0 is more common which IIRC is striping. This basically splits all data between the two drives. I.e if you have a 5mb file it will put 2.5 mb on one drive and the other 2.5 mb on the second drive. This way when you access that file it accesses it in parallel and you essentially double the transfer rate. It's a pretty cool setup. It's just now getting more popular in home use but has been used in big business and government/millitary for some time. ;)

As far as mobos go the Abit KT7 can Over clock better than the Asus A7V. The A7V has some kind of limiter on it and you can only go so high. However that's higher than most people go. The only reason I know this is that my friend has recently water cooled his 1Ghz T-Bird and A7V to 1.337 Ghz. He thinks he can get it higher than that since it's only running at 29C at that speed. However the board won't allow it. He just ordered and recieved a KT7-Raid mobo like mine so that he can do just that. I'll let you know how high he gets it up to. So far it's pretty impressive tho. About a 30% increase? ;)

Kokensu

Fire in Ma Belly!
Jan 4, 2000
Shut yo mouth!
Visit site
You're right about cooling and power. Ram isn't as big of a deal tho. But MAKE SURE if you get an AMD you at least goto AMD's web site and get an AMD approved power supply. My dad recently built the same system I have and was using some generic PS and the system wouldn't even post properly. Switched it out with my power supply and everything worked just fine.

Personally for the price right now AMD is definetly the way to go. ;)