To LCJr.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

LCJr.

Apr 14, 2001
Visit site
Yes it is

Why yes it is :) My first true love(gaming wise) is WW1 aviation, Red Baron3D to be exact and nothing but the Fokker Dr1.

Why MvR? Lots of reasons.

Tactical genius, charismatic leader, skilled flyer, marksman, etc... He was one of the few who stood the strain of combat, most of the "greats" were showing signs of what we now know as combat fatigue and it got them killed.

MvR to me is also sort of like the tragic hero in a Greek play. By 1917 he knew Germany had lost the war but still his sense of duty and honor forced to carry on til his death.
With his status as a legend he makes a good allegory (right word?) for the airwar itself, on the surface most people see it/him as romantic, honorable, noble, brave etc... but once you get beneath the surface you find out is was more fear, mixed with moments of exhilration, bouts of depression and a sense of pointlessness to the deaths of friends and enemies alike. And besides he's easy to recognize :)

"Rove your assigned airspace and kill the enemy. Everything else is rubbish." -MvR

vincenzo_og

teh INFlirtationist
Apr 2, 2001
UK>Scotland>Hell
wow... a bit of an unlikely place to meet a fellow fan.
There was a quote (used quite a lot) which i liked where he says something like "After the first couple, one begins to get the hang of the thing".
From the man credited with over 80 kills in WW1!

Also one which was the moto of his Squadron "Don't hide, let them know fear"

that isn't the wording but it's the jist. damn can't remember anymore.

One other thing about him that i loved was that he was shot in the head and discharged himself from hospital, then when told never to fly again he went straight back to his squadron.
A true hero and remarkable man in every sense.

Kamicosmos

MP5SD Slinger of Justice!
Jan 23, 2001
Kansas City Missouri
Visit site
Excellent Book

I too am really into WWI and II aeiral combat.
I have an excellent book on the Baron, has his actual diary in it...very informative, you obviously can really get inside his head when you read his own words...
and it is amazing that he kept fighting after his injury and knowledge that his efforts were futile...he was ordered several times to go home so he would survive the war, but we wouldn't do it. Great Man, we need people like him around today!

I'll look up the books name and stuff and post it here when I get home tonite...
(I think it may have come with a game, Empire's Dawn Patrol, maybe?)

Kamikazi

Kamicosmos

Jan 23, 2001
Kansas City Missouri
Visit site
BTW

My favorite WWI flight sim was the first game I bought for my 386sx16 in 1991:

Knights of the Sky by Microprose

Rather cheezy, but back then, it sooo rocked.
then about a year later, DOS 5 came out, and so did Aces of the Pacific...ahh...i almost didn't graduate High School because of that game...

Kamikazi

Kamicosmos

Jan 23, 2001
Kansas City Missouri
Visit site
that book

That book is:

Richthofen
The man & the aircraft he flew
by: David Baker
Publisher:eek:utline press
Volume 1 of the famous flyers series
copywrite 1990

was sold as a limited edition with Dawn Patrol

a search at amazon shows it is out of print...there are a couple of reviews there.

I think it is a great book, and I recommend it...granted there are tons of books on Richthofen out there already.

Kami

LCJr.

Apr 14, 2001
Visit site
I'll check the university library for that one. Who knows might find a copy:) Its sometimes hard to find books that aren't heavily biased on him, I remember one where the author painted him a pyschotic killer and coward who used his squadronmates as bait to set up easy kills, was also written by an englishman a little after WW2.

If you get the chance try and watch or find a video of the National Geographic special on him.

If you want to take stroll down memory lane all those old games can be found as "abandonware" on Home of the Underdogs. www.theunderdogs.org I think. Red Baron 3D is still a good game with an excellent campaign game. It still has a large following and the community has put out patches that replace and improve everything in game. The new graphics and 3d models put it on par with any flight sim out there IMHO.