AMD or P4?!?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Which processor is the best?

• AMD Thunderbird

Votes: 51 85.0%
  • Pentium 4

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • other brand...

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters

Stillborn

PHEAR IS JUST ANOTHER 4 LETTER WORD...
Oct 14, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
need your advice here...

I heard that the P4's weren't that good nd stable for gameplay... And they cost almost double as much as AMD...

Should I go for a P4 1.5GHz or an equal AMD? Let's pretend that money ain't an issue...

Thoughts?

TwoHardCore

Feb 1, 2000
Calgary, Canada
Roger that! the new P4 1.5 Ghz can't even outperform an AMD 1.2 Ghz....the P4 is hurt by it's FSB, so no matter how high a clock speed you get, you really won't improve your performance much.

Also, O/C'ing the AMD's (if that's your bag) is so easy. If I ever upgrade again, I'll most likely be going AMD again. I also read an artice from The Register about a new Asus board that can handle SDR, DDR and maybe even RDRAM..? This makes for future upgrading a breeze!!! Check it out, the article came out today I think?

CrazyCougar

CATatonic
Jan 5, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
Get AMD and you can't go wrong... :)

Consider what you can get for a fixed amount of money. If you buy the AMD you can get the better graphics card and many other better components.

Also the reason why the P4 is a poor performer has nothing to do with the FSB. In fact the FSB should be around 400 mhz compared to a 266 Mhz Tbird. The P4 is a dog because in order to achieve the higher speeds they increased the number of steps an instruction goes through. When the P4 guesses the wrong instruction and has to resend the right one you get a performance penalty(which results in a speed decrease). The P4 does alright when it just pumps data through it's bus though except for applications that can't be easily predicted.

There's another serious problem with the P4. The newer versions of the P4 will use an entirely different socket to plug the chip into... which means you'll have to replace everything in order t upgrade the CPU... and the current version of the P4 doesn't have a very long life.

Stillborn

Oct 14, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
Webslinger:

Yeah me to... almost made up my mind now... but I need to buy a new MoBo as well then... Pretty interesting stuff on that register site that TwoHardCore pasted...

Zaphrod

President of the Universe
Sep 27, 2000
Betelgeuse V
Visit site
I just built an AMD thunderbird 850 system for my sister. I went with a global win heatsink and an Abit KT7A motherboard, 256MB pc133 crucial cas2 ram, Geforce 2 GTS.

Although my sister didnt want it overclocked because it runs the only game she plays (EverQuest) fine at 850Mhz, I had to give it a try before i gave it to her.

Penciled in the traces in about 10 minutes and it went straight to 1.2G without even a voltage increase and it only ran 2 degrees hotter.

It ran everything I threw at it without a hitch. I didnt stability test it but ran perfectly for 4 hours of UT.

I would definately recommend the Abit KT7A motherboard for its ease of use and Bios features as well as the temperature and fan speed monitors.

Stillborn

Oct 14, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
Thanx to all of you that replied...

I went for the AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.33GHz and I am really satisfied... If you're interested you can read the before and after numbers on the city-intro benchmark
thread...

beafheart

Deranged
Feb 23, 2001
in your head
Visit site
AMD all the way.

The AMD chips are, at this moment in time, way better performers than the Intel chips. The Duron easily outperforms the Celeron and the Athlon does the same compared to the PIII (by a smaller margin but still faster!). In fact, in benchtests the Duron was closer to the PIII than the celeron!!!. Intels pentium chips just do not cut it anymore and this is why the P4 has appeared.

I don't know about stability but at the moment the P4 is actually SLOWER than an equivalent speed P3 at most tasks!!!!! Yes you heard correctly - SLOWER. Seems crazy doesn't it. The explanation that DownTown gave is partly true but countered by the fact that the P4 has an improved branch prediction algorithm so has fewer incorrect guesses, and the fact that it can also do a lot more with the correct instructions it does receive than it could previously. Also Intel have added a range of new commands to the chips instruction set. These commands plus the architecture changes WILL give a vast increase in performance. However, software has to be written speficially to take advantage of this and at present there is no software that does. It is exactly the same as when they introduced the Pentium MMX chip over the normal Pentium chip. They improved the architecture & added to the instruction set in order to enhance performance when dealing with Multimedia data (MMX = MultiMedia eXtensions). AMD have done it themselves in the past with 3DNow (or something like that!) in the K-range chips.

When used correctly the P4 will be a helluva chip - way better than the current Athlons. AMD have also stated that they will be enhancing their design similar to the P4's - so obviously some of the design changes are the inevitable way forward. The problem is this:-

Why spend money on a PC if the benefits aren't available until 6 months later - given the rate at which these things become obsolete.

No, I would not buy a P4 now for whatever price but ask me again in six months time :)

(One day I am going to write one of those short, snappy, one-line e-mails, I know I am, I just know it....)

AgentQ

Apr 15, 2001
Visit site
Anyone know when the palomino is coming out? It's supposed to be AMD's new chip that is 20% more power efficent, and run at a much lower temperature. I'm deciding between the T-bird 1.33ghz and waiting till july for a Palomino.

ThunderBirdUT

Dangerously Player
AMD is gonna KING of CPU!

NO Intel and NO G4 or ELSE for my life! I could!

AMD is the MASTER, Smarter, Power of price, Genius, Gamer Lovers, Cannot lose, Wise, Laser-speed!, STABLES, Many Many!

Intel is an IDIOT!!!, Price eater, Turtle, Gov't lovers, Laggy, that's all cheaps!

I have ASUS A7M266, Thunderbird 1.333Ghz 266Mhz fsb, 384Mb DDR 266Mhz PC2100, IBM 75Gb HDD ATA100.
Voodoo5 2 of 5500AGP/PCI, Firewire, 6 USBs, watercoolant with overlocking 1.41Ghz.
FFFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!

Later I will make a picture of mine BABY PC!!!! it's so beautifully! I am HAPPIEST!!!

Prices:
AMD T.B. 1.333Ghz 266Mhz FSB is $248.00
Intel P4 1.5Ghz 400Mhz FSB is $532.00
Intel P4 1.7Ghz 400Mhz FSB is $709.00

AMD T.B. 1.333Ghz and P4 1.7Ghz are the same performance!!!! I have been tested!!! AMD is mine at home and Intel is at my work. I am computer repairs and Engineer.

D O__N O T___G E T___T H E___I N T E L!!!!!!!!!

Y O U___M U S T___H A V E___T H E___A M D!!!!!!!!

AMD's CPU LAW!!

PS: still do NOT get the G4! sorry I am hater the Apple Products.

You know that AMD is getting new name core for CPU? YES! next is "MUSTANG" yes, I'm serious.

If you get AMD, it will make your NEW LIFE!!!!!!!

Yes 1.333Ghz is out NOW!!

I had this for Phototype.

ThunderBirdUT