Indoor/Outdoor

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

eug311

Apr 7, 2000
Orange Park, FL, USA
Visit site
Hi, I am new at editing with UED but I have picked up ALOT in the last few weeks. One thing that I have not quite figured out yet is how to get an area that is inside a building, like a warehouse, and then be able to run outside and into another building. Like in Half-Life. I looked at a skybox tutorial but it did not really seem to be what I needed? Or was that it and I just read it wrong? I have gotten some cool buildings finished and I would like them to be able to connect by way of a city street area. Thanks for any tips, links, or help.

Jenkins

America's Greatest Kitten Mitten
Apr 24, 2000
Irving, Tx, USA
jljenkins.cjb.net
the skybox has nothing to do with what you are explaining. Start out by subtracting an enormous cube. Add in the building seperately and build them from those. You can make streets and the like from there. I know that's brief, I'm stressed on time.

bullet2.gif

Jenkins

Captain Gillette

Nov 11, 1999
www.mp3.com
I thought I might elaborate on what Jenkins said...

Right now you have several buildings "subtracted" from the building stuff of the map's "world". What you really need to do is to subtract a giant block of space first and then add your buildings back into the empty space you've created. I think the only thing you can do at this point is to try and subtract boxes around your existing buildings to act as 'outdoor' areas. This is going to be a royal pain and might even be tought to make work at all, but because the buildings you already made are "subtracted" brushes, moving them into another empty subtracted space will probably screw the whole map up.
It might be faster to just start over the right way...

Perhaps someone can think of a better solution?

Good luck!
Captain Gillette

bullet2.gif

=========================
Download CTF-Paranoimia!

eug311

Apr 7, 2000
Orange Park, FL, USA
Visit site
Thanks to both of you. I have pretty much decided that I am going to just start over and try it the ways that the two of you mentioned. The buildings I have are not complex but they are pretty neat looking...imo /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif. The only thing that sucks is that I work at a school and today is the last day of our spring break...so my free time is about to take a nose dive lol!
Thanks again for all the help. I will definitely be around and have more questions for you guys I am sure...

Jenkins

America's Greatest Kitten Mitten
Apr 24, 2000
Irving, Tx, USA
jljenkins.cjb.net
Yeah, we'll be here.

You might want to do this. Subtract a cube. Add in the exterior buildings, big enough to hold the buildings you have already.

Go away from here, and subtract 1 huge room. Then, make the brush a bit smaller and do Add Special. Make sure the room you subtract here is really really big.

After you do that, go back to your buildings, that you have subtract... already made. Make your brush huge to where it covers all that is there. intersect. Move that brush over to that room w/ the big added box.

Subtract here. That will place the buildings you have in that box. Now, click back on the cube brush and do brush:reset all.

Move that brush back over to the two buildings in the box. Make the brush larger than the box that the two buildings are in. Intersect.

Move what you have intersected to an empty space in the void, where it wont touch anything else. Subtract.

Now, click back on the cube brush and resize to where it covers the buildings only. Check all the perspective view, x, y & z. Intersect.

Now, you should have your two buildings as a brush. Move that brush to the two buildings that were created in the first part of this little example here. Subtract there and guess what? You have your same buildings in those two buildings...

Damn, could this have taken longer?!?!!? HAHAHA /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif

bullet2.gif

Jenkins

[This message has been edited by Jenkins (edited 04-07-2000).]

Captain Gillette

Nov 11, 1999
www.mp3.com
Whoa Jenkins... you need to lay off the crack buddy!! Seriously... turn off the UnrealEd and go outside for a while man... I think your brain is starting to fry from monitor radiation...

/~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif
Captain Gillette

bullet2.gif

=========================
Download CTF-Paranoimia!

eug311

Apr 7, 2000
Orange Park, FL, USA
Visit site
uhhhhh huh.
/~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif
Have to wait until morning and then re-read that one. haha
Seriously, thanks for all the patience and help, at least it will take me longer to get discouraged this way /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif

Claymore

The Flying Dutchman
Dec 24, 1999
Utreg, Holland
www.xs4all.nl
UnrealEd is not that hard to master (not that I master the entire thing, but I'm doing really fine)

Imho it's the editor with the least likelyness of getting discouraged and quitting.

I've edited with several editors, from worldcraft to Qoole, and they all sucked. Take Qoole: if you'd want to change the texture on one side of a brush you'd have to open a separate menu, select the correct side in that menu by clicking some "next" buttons, and from there you can finally make some changes.

Ued really kicks *** !
Het roelt grote keren!
De rest zuigt bananen!

bullet2.gif

"Look, I'm just trying to get a toilet that flushes!"