Unreal 2 is going to whoop Quake 3 so bad.....

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
Q3 cannot be compared to U2...U2's engine will be a lot newer and more developed. U2 should be compared to HL2 and Doom3 when they'll be released...

Thrakhath

LunarMancer
Mar 29, 2001
Kanagawa
Warcraft 3 should be pretty neat. Though I think Doom 3 is going to have too many of the things in it that make me not like Q1-3, D1 and 2. So I doubt I'll play it. Unreal 2 on the other hand, I'm going to have a reserved copy ASAP. U2 would stomp D3 if it weren't for the GeForce3.

Deathwing

Raucous Rodentia
Mar 15, 2000
Canada
HL2 won't be a good comparison to U2. Half-Life 2 is probably at least 2.5 years away. TF2 won't be finished until the end of this year, which is when they'll start on HL2. And it would be optimistic to think that the development wouldn't take more than 2 years, even without all the delays it's likely to go through.

Quake 3 is mainly a multiplayer game, Unreal 2 is mainly a single player game. Age aside, they aren't good comparisons.

Alpha_9

Infiltration lead level designer
Jun 1, 2000
Washington State
I believe U2, being OpenGL based, will also use the GeForce 3 card. So it should be at least comparable to D3. And unless I'm wrong, D3 won't have anything like the terrain of U2...

Thrakhath

LunarMancer
Mar 29, 2001
Kanagawa
It'll probably USE the GeForce 3. But Carmack (I don't know how to spell his name) is kindof on the inside, and he will probably use it better. But the point is moote because there will probably be only 5 people who meet these reqirments by launch:
1) Can afford the darn thing.
2) Want to play either D3 or U2
3) Accually buy it, given that when it does launch, the GF2U will go way down, and most (I think) will be looking for a cheap upgrade to a good card.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
well yes afcourse bloody hell

Q3 compared to U2.. hm.. ehm.. it'll be over 2 years older than Q3 that's for sure.. and sp as mentioned before :)
seeing the u2 screenies, makes me say wow..!!
Loved the pic that showed the base from the outside and the surroundings.. wow very nicely done.
PLayers appear to look great. Skaarj are back, best monster ai i've ever seen (yep, imho beats the hl grunts ai with a few points)

Doom? Doom has always been about obscure surroundings, dark halls (well most of the time there are some pretty big open levels afcourse).
D3 won't be any different.. let's hope the damn thing will have some decent gameplay!!!!

Unreal II
How long for a possible release? next year? :I i can wait.. patience .. patience.. patience..

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
uh dawriter

:) it's not because quake3 is a bad game, doom3 will also be bad..

Maybe Id will succeed in creating a decent GAME.
and please.. show some respect for the granddaddy of all shooters .. DOOM.. :)

but like many i guess, i'm not sure what doom3 will be like..... we'll see.

Storm7

Apr 18, 2001
U.K
users.breathemail.net
Unreal 2 better not make the same mistake as
Unreal and have the PANTSest guns in FPS history.

Big big turn off for Unreal that was I can tell yuh.
Atleast they got in right (nearly) in UT.

Castle Wolfenstein will stomp Unreal 2. Doom 3 will
stomp both of them and Half Life 2 will demolish
EVERYTHING.....

Deathwing

Raucous Rodentia
Mar 15, 2000
Canada
Re: uh dawriter

Originally posted by NeoNite
:) it's not because quake3 is a bad game, doom3 will also be bad..

Maybe Id will succeed in creating a decent GAME.
and please.. show some respect for the granddaddy of all shooters .. DOOM.. :)

but like many i guess, i'm not sure what doom3 will be like..... we'll see.

Doom is the granddaddy of shooters, but Doom 3 will suck?

Why is it that just because Id made one game (Quake 3) that was slightly lacking, everybody thinks all their games that they will ever make in the future will suck. That is soooooo not true.

There are only 2 pieces of information I know of about Doom 3:

-The GeForce 3 tech demo, which was showing off the card, not the game.
-The fact that Doom 3 will require 128mb RAM

Both are useless, and you are still judging the game because the developer made Quake 3.

I'm sorry, but that's disgusting.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
O.........K

People have obviously misunderstood me.. :I

I DON'T think doom3 will suck, i sure HOPE it won't suck.
I NEVER said the early games id made were BAD games.
Hell no.
Wolfd3D is a simple fps, but fun. :)
DOOM is a fantastic game. And it's sequel rules!
My favourite game.

Quake is a great game. Quake was a GAME. quake owns imho. :) quake has some nasty weapons and baddies. Quake is evil. (demons, dark levels etc)

quake2 is a great game. I still play q2 from time to time.

QUake3 isn't all that sorry. ID has changed. :( and i don't like it. Suppose id has lost it's touch? you know?
The ability to make a great, fantastic game with superb graphics AND above all GREAT GAMEPLAY AND ORIGINALITY.
ID used to rule in the originality department :D
but ... quake3 is boring. sorry.. my humble opinion.

I don't know if doom3 will wipe the floor with unreal2 storm.. :) you're no unreal gamer. So what do you know about unreal and ut? Sure, you're wife plays ut, but you have said it yourself bro, you ain't interested.

half life2.. well, half life single play was very good imho.
I hope hl2 won't feel like half life 1 all over again, if you know what i mean?

Return to wolfenstein? :) we'll see. Screenshots show beautiful level architecture etc... wolf'll be a smash hit.
(hey, it's the first fps ever, read carefully: the first REAL first person SHOOTER that became a smash hit. OK.
Nothing compared to the almighty doom afcourse :D

NOT a bad word about doom mind you!
Doom is pure gaming fun, something those new sp games seem to lack in a way..
(serious sam is a good game though..)

OUT.

Status
Not open for further replies.