PDA

View Full Version : Unreal 2 is going to whoop Quake 3 so bad.....

Deathman
10th Apr 2001, 08:05 PM
By looking at the pics and everything said about Unreal 2. It is going to kick Quake 3 to no end. Quake 3 sucks anyway!

Gir
11th Apr 2001, 04:02 AM
The way I see it, UT already did that. :)

Deathman
11th Apr 2001, 01:03 PM
W3rd

ChrisToth.hu
11th Apr 2001, 01:35 PM
Q3 cannot be compared to U2...U2's engine will be a lot newer and more developed. U2 should be compared to HL2 and Doom3 when they'll be released...

MaX Power
11th Apr 2001, 02:43 PM
And Warcraft 3 will own starcraft!

Not really a fair comparison is it?

Thrakhath
11th Apr 2001, 04:01 PM
Warcraft 3 should be pretty neat. Though I think Doom 3 is going to have too many of the things in it that make me not like Q1-3, D1 and 2. So I doubt I'll play it. Unreal 2 on the other hand, I'm going to have a reserved copy ASAP. U2 would stomp D3 if it weren't for the GeForce3.

Deathwing
11th Apr 2001, 06:00 PM
HL2 won't be a good comparison to U2. Half-Life 2 is probably at least 2.5 years away. TF2 won't be finished until the end of this year, which is when they'll start on HL2. And it would be optimistic to think that the development wouldn't take more than 2 years, even without all the delays it's likely to go through.

Quake 3 is mainly a multiplayer game, Unreal 2 is mainly a single player game. Age aside, they aren't good comparisons.

Alpha_9
12th Apr 2001, 09:46 PM
I believe U2, being OpenGL based, will also use the GeForce 3 card. So it should be at least comparable to D3. And unless I'm wrong, D3 won't have anything like the terrain of U2...

Deathwing
13th Apr 2001, 01:24 AM
That's because D3 will be mostly inside. :D

Thrakhath
13th Apr 2001, 07:57 AM
It'll probably USE the GeForce 3. But Carmack (I don't know how to spell his name) is kindof on the inside, and he will probably use it better. But the point is moote because there will probably be only 5 people who meet these reqirments by launch:
1) Can afford the darn thing.
2) Want to play either D3 or U2
3) Accually buy it, given that when it does launch, the GF2U will go way down, and most (I think) will be looking for a cheap upgrade to a good card.

NeoNite
17th Apr 2001, 04:20 PM
Q3 compared to U2.. hm.. ehm.. it'll be over 2 years older than Q3 that's for sure.. and sp as mentioned before :)
seeing the u2 screenies, makes me say wow..!!
Loved the pic that showed the base from the outside and the surroundings.. wow very nicely done.
PLayers appear to look great. Skaarj are back, best monster ai i've ever seen (yep, imho beats the hl grunts ai with a few points)

Doom? Doom has always been about obscure surroundings, dark halls (well most of the time there are some pretty big open levels afcourse).
D3 won't be any different.. let's hope the damn thing will have some decent gameplay!!!!

Unreal II
How long for a possible release? next year? :I i can wait.. patience .. patience.. patience..

dawriter
19th Apr 2001, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Deathwing
That's because D3 will be mostly inside. :D

ugh..I'm NOT buying Doom 3. Period.

Darth_Mule
19th Apr 2001, 01:54 PM
Unreal 1 is better than Q3....come to think of it Kings Quest 1 is better than Q3 :)

NeoNite
19th Apr 2001, 03:47 PM
:) it's not because quake3 is a bad game, doom3 will also be bad..

Maybe Id will succeed in creating a decent GAME.
and please.. show some respect for the granddaddy of all shooters .. DOOM.. :)

but like many i guess, i'm not sure what doom3 will be like..... we'll see.

Storm7
8th May 2001, 06:00 PM
Unreal 2 better not make the same mistake as
Unreal and have the PANTSest guns in FPS history.

Big big turn off for Unreal that was I can tell yuh.
Atleast they got in right (nearly) in UT.

Castle Wolfenstein will stomp Unreal 2. Doom 3 will
stomp both of them and Half Life 2 will demolish
EVERYTHING.....

Thrakhath
8th May 2001, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by dawriter

ugh..I'm NOT buying Doom 3. Period.

Ditto ;)

Storm7
8th May 2001, 06:43 PM
How can you you won't buy a game without even seeing
screenshots, or reading a review or playing a demo (obviously not out yet).

Deathwing
8th May 2001, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by NeoNite
:) it's not because quake3 is a bad game, doom3 will also be bad..

Maybe Id will succeed in creating a decent GAME.
and please.. show some respect for the granddaddy of all shooters .. DOOM.. :)

but like many i guess, i'm not sure what doom3 will be like..... we'll see.

Doom is the granddaddy of shooters, but Doom 3 will suck?

Why is it that just because Id made one game (Quake 3) that was slightly lacking, everybody thinks all their games that they will ever make in the future will suck. That is soooooo not true.

There are only 2 pieces of information I know of about Doom 3:

-The GeForce 3 tech demo, which was showing off the card, not the game.
-The fact that Doom 3 will require 128mb RAM

Both are useless, and you are still judging the game because the developer made Quake 3.

I'm sorry, but that's disgusting.

NeoNite
9th May 2001, 11:41 AM
People have obviously misunderstood me.. :I

I DON'T think doom3 will suck, i sure HOPE it won't suck.
I NEVER said the early games id made were BAD games.
Hell no.
Wolfd3D is a simple fps, but fun. :)
DOOM is a fantastic game. And it's sequel rules!
My favourite game.

Quake is a great game. Quake was a GAME. quake owns imho. :) quake has some nasty weapons and baddies. Quake is evil. (demons, dark levels etc)

quake2 is a great game. I still play q2 from time to time.

QUake3 isn't all that sorry. ID has changed. :( and i don't like it. Suppose id has lost it's touch? you know?
The ability to make a great, fantastic game with superb graphics AND above all GREAT GAMEPLAY AND ORIGINALITY.
ID used to rule in the originality department :D
but ... quake3 is boring. sorry.. my humble opinion.

I don't know if doom3 will wipe the floor with unreal2 storm.. :) you're no unreal gamer. So what do you know about unreal and ut? Sure, you're wife plays ut, but you have said it yourself bro, you ain't interested.

half life2.. well, half life single play was very good imho.
I hope hl2 won't feel like half life 1 all over again, if you know what i mean?

Return to wolfenstein? :) we'll see. Screenshots show beautiful level architecture etc... wolf'll be a smash hit.
(hey, it's the first fps ever, read carefully: the first REAL first person SHOOTER that became a smash hit. OK.
Nothing compared to the almighty doom afcourse :D

NOT a bad word about doom mind you!
Doom is pure gaming fun, something those new sp games seem to lack in a way..
(serious sam is a good game though..)

OUT.

Hellscrag
9th May 2001, 06:58 PM
This still going on?
Leave the Q3 h0s to their game. And let us play the superior products from the Unreal side of the fence :)

Snoop Dogg
11th May 2001, 04:04 AM
Ohhh hell no!!! I did not just hear Quake III sucks!!! :)

Quake III is much better then UT in deathmatch anyday of the week and visuals are outstandingly better I would say 2x better then UT or at least Unreal.

Unreal II will slaughter it like a pig though.

Thrakhath
11th May 2001, 12:02 PM
I think that the "Mature Discourse Only" was a better thread, because you don't get this:

Originally posted by Snoop Dogg
I did not just hear Quake III sucks!!! :)

Quake III is much better then UT in deathmatch anyday of the week

Sorry Snoop, not the best of arguments :)

Although, that's typically what these kind of discussions degenerate to. Oh well, continue with your "debate" . . . Or don't :)

NeoNite
11th May 2001, 12:26 PM
q3 is overrated snoop :D
trust me..
unreal ain't. Quake 1 ain't. :)

mature? who's being mature here? :D
what a world.. :D

Thrakhath
11th May 2001, 10:18 PM
mature? who's being mature here? :D

My point exactly. ;)

NeoNite
12th May 2001, 11:46 AM
:D what point? :D

:y5:

Thrakhath
12th May 2001, 04:00 PM
:D what point? :D

The top of your head! :D:D:D

j/k Neo

NeoNite
12th May 2001, 05:33 PM
This thread is dying right? :(

:D

no way out.. the end..

:hammer:

Thrakhath
12th May 2001, 06:05 PM
It died a LOOONG time ago. You and me temporarily resurrected it :D hehehe

We should go back to the very first few records and bump those :D hehehehehehe :D :D :D

NeoNite
12th May 2001, 06:44 PM
i dare you :D

no i double dare :D :D

wait triple dare you! :D
:D :D

go fetch the first thread :D

:instagib:

Thrakhath
12th May 2001, 06:46 PM
Already did, in the Off Topic :D IT was "What's the worst movie ever." I'll grab the link here in a minute.

Thrakhath
12th May 2001, 07:02 PM
Neo found it, here's the link for the rest of you who might give a care :D

http://forums.planetunreal.com/showthread.php?threadid=6779

NeoNite
12th May 2001, 07:14 PM
Eh thrak, that link goes to off-topic, worst movies ...

:D?

Thrakhath
12th May 2001, 07:16 PM
That's where it's supposed to go!

NeoNite
13th May 2001, 12:26 PM
ok, we've obviously misunderstood eachother :D

i asked you to sadle your horse, ride the vast wasteland in search for the lost thread, to be believed the very first unreal 2 thread on these forums.

My ? is:

can you do it? :D

Snoop Dogg
13th May 2001, 04:24 PM
Okay I didn't defend my arguement well because I used to always write a full page reply on every forum that talked about something better then Q3A....hope you understand I am just tired of writing full pages....**** I think I should just save it as a file or something.

Anyways I think the Quake 3 Engine is more tweakable then UT's engine from what I have seen Developers do. I mean some fantastic things are accomplished with both engines but Games seem to be easier to produce using the Quake 3 Arena Engine and in my opinion look much better.

Sacrafice for example...Quake 3 Engine......have never seen a game use the engine better.

Hardly any BIG NAME titles using the Unreal Engine also.

That is my opinion on Quake 3 Arenas Engine Vs Unreal Tournament's although dont get me wrong both are insanely great all around.

Deathmatch wise I just like Quake 3 Arenas and always have liked the Quake Series with Deathmatching. Although Unreal Tounament makes a big splash in that arena it still seems much slower more like a Half Quake Half Team Fortress Classic type game. Its not Full Blown DEATHMATCH is what I am trying to say and the game modes that came with show that.

But still I am extremely happy with its included game modes since it can take Quake 3 Arena, Team Fotress, Counter-Strike game styles all in one game with near profection!

NeoNite
13th May 2001, 05:31 PM
Strange :D i've tried the following: since most q3 players state that q3 is faster than ut, i've played a q3 match.. hm.. damn slow.. :) i don't know, it felt like moving in slow mo.. and i had my player speed up to 380. :)
But on the other hand, i'm playing ut on turbo now, 130%, 70 % aircontrol. :)
smoooooth.

And snoop, btw, believe it or not, quake is faster than q3.

Open your eyes :D

ThunderBirdUT
18th May 2001, 10:35 AM
Ummm...

Nah.... Nah.... Nah.....

ALL GAMES ARE GREATEST!!

UT is best graphics and play!
Q3 best killer fast actions.
U2 Perfectly Graphics play not know yet.. wait for demo.
HL best graphics and play (alittle bit slow)

But.....

I have see on Duke Nukem Forever.. it gonna be king!

look this movie!!!

http://ftp1download.gamespy.com/fileplanet/fpnew/movies/DNF2001_HiQ.mov

it is so COOL!

ThunderbirdUT

OshadowO
20th May 2001, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by Snoop Dogg
Okay I didn't defend my arguement well because I used to always write a full page reply on every forum that talked about something better then Q3A....hope you understand I am just tired of writing full pages....**** I think I should just save it as a file or something.

Anyways I think the Quake 3 Engine is more tweakable then UT's engine from what I have seen Developers do. I mean some fantastic things are accomplished with both engines but Games seem to be easier to produce using the Quake 3 Arena Engine and in my opinion look much better.

Sacrafice for example...Quake 3 Engine......have never seen a game use the engine better.

Hardly any BIG NAME titles using the Unreal Engine also.

That is my opinion on Quake 3 Arenas Engine Vs Unreal Tournament's although dont get me wrong both are insanely great all around.

Deathmatch wise I just like Quake 3 Arenas and always have liked the Quake Series with Deathmatching. Although Unreal Tounament makes a big splash in that arena it still seems much slower more like a Half Quake Half Team Fortress Classic type game. Its not Full Blown DEATHMATCH is what I am trying to say and the game modes that came with show that.

But still I am extremely happy with its included game modes since it can take Quake 3 Arena, Team Fotress, Counter-Strike game styles all in one game with near profection!
Don't know much about engines...it's true more people use the Q3 engine but the UT engine is not completely ignored. Dues Ex, Duke nukem Forever come to mind as big name titles. Q3 does have better grafix tho. Curved Surfaces.
DeathMatch. As A DM player I'veplayed Q3A and UT. I instantly took a disliking to Q3 DM because I thought the weapons were sorry, looked bad,felt bad. Game play was a lot faster tho.
When I tried UT I loved the weapons but I was frustrated with how it was slower then Q3. So I bumped up speed and played turbo mode. perfect. Eventually I became used to the slower pace and now play at at 100% with no complaints.
Half Life DM...too slow soo boring to me yet most of my friends swore by it and chose it over UT and Q3.
So my point? Which game is better DM is simply a matter of opinion. Not an argument you can win or loose. Gameplay wise both games have to be decent if not good just based on their fanbase and sales.

Patgod
22nd May 2001, 08:44 PM
Quake 1, and Quake 2 are some of my favorite games of all time. They had simplicity, they had darkness, they had evil. The levels were great, forboding, and above all dark. The monsters were generally good, not quite your serious sam charging bull good, but for there time amazing. Quake 2 incorperated great netplay, helped not only by what was for the time stunning netcode, but also by the weapons themself. You cant not love the Quake 2 Chaingun, and rocket launcher.

Quake 3 was at least in my opinion an experiment. ID wanted to know if they could create a game within the Quake universe, having no substance other then Arena combat. They also wanted to capitalize on the multiplayer movement, moving almost exclusively to the online format. All this is well and good, and in and of itself wouldnt have hurt the game one bit. The problem came when the lighting changed. Quake for me anyway was always about atmosphere, hell all the way back to Doom you could see this. Doom 2's shareware demo ended GREAT, you fall into a pit of death with hundreds of baddys all in close quarters. best part is ITS DARK.

Look at Q3A's levels, most of them are dark, somewhat anyway. The 3rd party release maps are much better. But Q2 was all about the dark, it made you think you had pissed someone off and ended up in there own little hell. For me anyway the biggest problem was the weapons, they're no fun, asside from the dubble shotgun, and the machine pistol they just are soo....blah.

If you hate Q3A do me one favor before you write it off though, grab 6 or so friends more the better and play a lan game. That is the only way the game is really any fun. Granted ANY game improves via lans, but Q3A starts to shine.

My Cisco CCNA class got bored and put the Q3 demo on most of the machines in the class, it looked like crap(ati rage pro's) but i have to tell you it was amazing fun. Nothing like jumping out of no where with a dubble barreled shotgun and turning your best friend into little gibs....and taunting him face 2 face.

NeoNite
23rd May 2001, 02:28 PM
I'm starting to hate all those dark/small levels. seen too many of them.. in doom, quake, quake2 .. hm...
Althought, there are many wide open, bright doom levels yes there are :)
Afcourse, the dark quake levels rule. :D
Q3.. hm the only time i had fun in q3, real fun, was when playing corkscrew instagib. :)

UT rocks.
Think it's too slow? Play turbo, set gamespeed at 130 % or higher and THEN say it's slow :D

Squire
24th May 2001, 08:40 AM
You can't compare Quake 3 to Unreal 2, because they're different games, done at different times.

Unreal 2 versus Return to Wolfie? Now THAT will be something.

My money's on Wolfie.

ChrisToth.hu
24th May 2001, 12:51 PM
Uhm...Wolfie uses the Q3 engine. :D

Hey...don't hurt me.
/me runs away

NeoNite
24th May 2001, 03:22 PM
Yeah wolfie uses the q3engine :D so does alice (well duh) and elite force (noooooo?)

Silly that some people compare ut and tribes2.. well i've read this article about tribes2, and it said t2 had all this look/feel ut doesn't have.. :I hm.. well, ut was released waaaaaaaay back in late 99 right? :)
Computer evilution :D

I've been comparing t2 and U2 screenies. Somehow those outdoor landscapes look alike. :)

Stargazer
28th May 2001, 06:45 AM
Yeah, U2 will stomp QIII. But, it won't be competing with it. It'll have to stand against DNF, Wolfenstein, Doom, and don't forget Halo. U2 isn't gonna be the second coming, but it will be the start of a new era of gaming.

U-N-R-E-A-l-2WillRock
5th Jun 2001, 01:02 PM
UNREAL 2 WILL OWN!!!!!!!!HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!10,000 POLYGONS!!!!!HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!BEAT THAT QUAKE3!!!!!!(Laughs unimaginably hard):instagib: :y5: <Quake3 LOVER

U-N-R-E-A-l-2WillRock
5th Jun 2001, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Squire
You can't compare Quake 3 to Unreal 2, because they're different games, done at different times.

Unreal 2 versus Return to Wolfie? Now THAT will be something.

My money's on Wolfie.

YES YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!AM I MENTALLY CRAZY????YES I AM!!!!!!!HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

NeoNite
2nd Jul 2001, 06:58 PM
London Bridge.... is .. faaaaaaallling doooown...

SUNRISE
3rd Jul 2001, 01:24 AM
It is my personal opinion that ID lacks creative insight (at least when compared to Epic and DE). The Only good game in my opinion that ID produced was Quake 2, Quake 3 is just a huge rehash with better graphics. With such a huge distance between the two realeases you think they could have made a decent change or two.

NeoNite
3rd Jul 2001, 08:11 AM
But.. quake2 is a polished doom2 right?:confused:
And all the resemblances between those 2 games..
and did you know the original plan for doom was to implement 4 player models, even a female model???
Doom is their pride'n glory imho :)
Pure gameplay.

acidfaucet
6th Jul 2001, 01:20 PM
Alright I am purely unbiased so I have no favorite.

UT

+Lots of Gametypes{value=10pts}
+Easy as poo to edit{value=10pts}
-Horrible Bot team Control{value=-10pts}
-Very sucky collision detection{value=-4pts}
[TOTAL=6pts]

QUAKE3

+Awesome level design{value=10pts}
+Superior Bot Control{value=10pts}
-Lack of different Gametypes{value=-5pts}
-Sort of chunky animations{value=-5pts}
[TOTAL=10pts]

Aliens vs. Predator

+Awesome Collision Detection{value=10pts}
+Awesome texturing{value=10pts}
-No bot control{value=-10pts}
-Lack of Gametypes{value=-8pts}
[TOTAL=2pts]

Aliens vs. Predator 2

Cannot be rated

DOOM3

Cannot be rated

UNREAL 2

This cannot be rated due to its not being
released

When you tally that up Quake3 is better than UT, and yes Unreal2 will blow away Quake3 you idiot. Quake3 is probably about a year or more old by now. However, I'm fairly confident that AvP2 and Doom3 though probably they won't be as graphically advanced(excluding ID's DOOM3 of course), will probably end up being more adictive games than Unreal 2. In fact I'm not even planning on getting Unreal 2 for about a month after its release to see if it really is worth it. Oh, I was not biased at all. My personal opinion is that in the end I feel that Aliens vs. Predator is the greater game. Not Quake3, but when you tally up the main points Quake3 is better. However I must say that Unreal 2 will be more fun to edit to be UT quality then put yourself with 20 allies versus 100+ enemies. I see Unreal 2 as being used for massive combat mods not mods that even try to equal U2. Well goodbye.

NeoNite
7th Jul 2001, 06:36 PM
Ah well, it's what you like that really matters.. me personally i think q3 is an inferior game compared to UT and quake 1.. but hey :)

Blooddog
20th Jul 2001, 06:05 PM
Q3 has already been kicked back to the end by Several games.
UT 4-ever!

Blooddog
20th Jul 2001, 06:08 PM
Hey, Q1 rocks big time.

NeoNite
20th Jul 2001, 06:27 PM
Quake 1 is a topgame I agree.. q3 is crap :)

Unreal 2.. we'll have to wait for another 6 months.. or more we'll see.. but I like what i've seen so far :)
especially the ingame Aida :D

Wh0racle
25th Jul 2001, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Deathwing

Doom is the granddaddy of shooters, but Doom 3 will suck?

Why is it that just because Id made one game (Quake 3) that was slightly lacking, everybody thinks all their games that they will ever make in the future will suck. That is soooooo not true.

There are only 2 pieces of information I know of about Doom 3:

-The GeForce 3 tech demo, which was showing off the card, not the game.
-The fact that Doom 3 will require 128mb RAM

Both are useless, and you are still judging the game because the developer made Quake 3.

I'm sorry, but that's disgusting.

emh... Wolfenstein 3d is the granddaddy of shooters. and I doubt that Doom 3 will require 128 mb ram. when its released they have to go higher.

8-4-7-2
25th Jul 2001, 10:32 AM
This has really been done to death.

All Q3 players are DMers. You can't use it for anything else. Q3 CTF is just DM with flags. It doesn't have the slightest chance against UT.
The Q3 weapons are too primitive. I mean one firing mode? Come on.

Yes Q3 graphics might be better in some areas. But curved surfaces aren't everything. And Q3 looks very cartoonish.
UT gameplay is just better.

NeoNite
25th Jul 2001, 01:37 PM
You go 8-4-7-2!!

:D

Q3= hwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaarggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh