roger wilco?? (Voice communication)??

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

CHrOmE-DoMe

mess with me son, and its good night
Mar 20, 2001
UK
www.scoobyfanatic.co.uk
Hey..
Just been talking to a mate of mine about CS, and he has used speech software in the past to help with tactics etc..

Can this be done with INF??

It' be much better than stopping to ty- (BANG! ....dead)..pe.

The binds are too general for real co-ordination.. it'd also stop TK's because neither can determine the camo and daren't type to confirm an ID..

Know what I mean?

Is it currently possible on public servers??

If not, will it ever be??

CD

robrob

May 4, 2000
It Is definately Possible

We used to run RW on our UT servers. Have not enabled it on the INF box since RW has been shown to be spyware.

It is a good solution from a gameplay stand point but public access has its drawbacks. Think about the spammers ..now you would have to listen to them.

We may put it back on and see how it goes but for now I would reccomend trying w/ a few bud and then head into a game.

RW also brings up the whole recon issue. The next version will block the ghost speaking to the living but RW type proggies add a whole new level of complexity.

[SOB]Grunt_X

SOB Clan Officer
Sep 6, 2000
www.theonlinegaming.com
There is a public RW server up at rogerwilco.sobservers.com. It works well with minimal problems. I've used it for about 2 years now starting on a 56k connection. There's also a slightly buggy mac version available.

Without getting into the whole recon thing, it's still fun to talk with people you've gotten to know well through gaming. Plus it adds to the teamwork. It never gets old working as a 2 man fireteam using voice comms. :)

DarkBls

Inf Ex-admin
Mar 5, 2000
France
I tried for the first time RW today, and yes it was great...
Unluckly there were only one guy who had it.

About the spyware... Just remove fgs.exe and all will be ok ;)

[SOB]Grunt_X

SOB Clan Officer
Sep 6, 2000
www.theonlinegaming.com
Oh and a quick tip. You can make your own channels to use for your teams. Just add /channelname to the end of the ip or url of the base station that you use.

Example: rogerwilco.sobservers.com/inf285

http://rogerwilco.sobservers.com:18009/?opts=-R

That link will show the current channels and also the current members of each channel. If you have RW installed, you can join one of the channels just by clicking on the link.

Hypenotist

Catharsis hypothesis
Mar 15, 2001
For any server admins-Could you make it known if rw will be available for use on your server, perhaps a new thread for just this... Cool it's working...rogerwilco.sobservers.com, I'll be there for awhile so say hello if you drop in.

Hypenotist

Catharsis hypothesis
Mar 15, 2001
Oh I had a question as well. If I have the send key mapped for rw to the space bar will it work while playing INF as long as I don't have any other keys mapped to space? Oh and how well does voice activated config work?

Tommy Atkins

Older, but no wiser
Mar 17, 2001
UK
RW

Why not just set up a RW server whenever you fancy? Tried it a few times with some peeps on the GI servers. It didn't really help tactically as force balanced teams was on, so you were never sure who'd be in your team on the next map, but it was a pleasure hearing peps cuss you as you took them down :)

Aequi

ballistically challenged
Apr 23, 2001
Denmark, duh
Visit site
BFC by shadow factor works too :)

...the biggest problem i have when doing this is getting onto the same team, and the fact that Alt-tab is a pain with Unreal (not sure that it is inf. specific) cause unreal keeps forcing itself up front again.

(Alt-tabbing out, to ex. correct/setup or ex. answer icq also gets me disconnected from the server).

itskeiagain

Adept
Mar 12, 2001
I seem to get a few seconds delay on RW when I was playing DF2 with my friend(I haven't tried using it with INF, yet). Is it normal?

itskeiagain

Adept
Mar 12, 2001
Cpt.Cypher

I'm not an expert but RW is pretty simple to use. Once you have installed it and configured it with your microphone and sound card, it'll only take a second to get it started.

Just with your friends, what you do is one of you start(host) a channel for a private chat either with or without password, and the others just join in by typing in the host name or address(i.e. 202.198.2..... that kinda stuff) that the host has. It just took me and my friends a few minutes to configure and get it going. I just called up my friend on the phone to set up the RW and IM, so we no longer need to use our phones to communicate while on the net. I'd just call him up on IM to let him know of the address for the RW private channel, and we can talk!! Pretty cool stuff.:)

Or if you want to join existing public channels, you just select "join" and browse for them. It's THAT simple:)